PDA

View Full Version : 1-5 spread limit Stud8

B Mando
12-21-2004, 09:49 PM
Playing a live stud8 game tommorow for the first time. Any tips on how much to sit down with and how to play spread limit stud8? I think the value of big pairs is definitly going to go up a lot.

nate1729
12-22-2004, 04:46 AM
100 is my standard buyin. If your game is loose-passive, as it probably will be, get in for the bring-in with tons of hands, including any live pair. If pots are being raised to $5 a lot on third, obviously your implied odds will go down, so yes, the big pairs are relatively better than in standard limit structure.

Good luck.

--Nate

jon_1van
12-22-2004, 08:48 AM
If there is no ante I suggest playing tight as can be

jayheaps
12-22-2004, 03:05 PM
the game will be very passive. you c an play a few more speculative hands if it is unraised. You want to make sure you isolate with your big pairs and get lots of callers with your huge draws

jon_1van
12-22-2004, 05:43 PM
eh, kinda

yeah there are gonna be lots of times when you'll hold something like 368r and yeah...you probably can play in EP or LP. But you aren't gaining or losing much no matter what you do (consider the rake).

When I play really cheap stud it is because I don't have a lot of money to lose. So I always fell on the tight side of the fence rather than the loose side.

I liked the smaller swings...but the game can get BORING

Nick_Foxx
12-22-2004, 06:27 PM
just curious where they spread a 1-5 stud/8 game

in answer to your question, for 2-10 stud/8 i buy in for 200, so i would buy in for 100 at 1-5

mike

Andy B
12-22-2004, 06:55 PM
863 isn't really what I think of as a speculative hand, because it can't turn into a monster. (66)4 is speculative, because while it is pretty weak and not nearly as good as it looks, if you buy a Six on fourth street, you stand to get paid. 865 is somewhat speculative, as a Seven will give you an open-ended straight draw as well as a dubious low draw.

With no ante, you don't have to play anything but the best hands. You might play a few more speculative hands if the game is loose/passive, and you probably should if it will keep you from falling asleep. /images/graemlins/grin.gif On the other hand, if you're the sort that gets married to two pair or an Eight low, you should stay away from those speculative hands anyway.

$100 is probably a good buy-in, and have another $50-100 on hand just in case disaster strikes. I'd buy in for $2000 because I'm a schmuck.

jon_1van
12-22-2004, 07:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
$100 is probably a good buy-in, and have another $50-100 on hand just in case disaster strikes. I'd buy in for $2000 because I'm a schmuck.

[/ QUOTE ]

One day I hope to do this.

W. Deranged
12-25-2004, 03:11 AM
They spread a 1-5 stud/8 at Turning Stone in upstate New York... they used to only spread a 2-10, but something must have happened to the core of regulars that populated that game. The 1-5 s/8 doesn't get going that often, though, though they also have a hard time getting any kind of regular stud game going.

On this line, where else do they spread any stud/8 games under 5-10? I'm a hold 'em player looking to take on another game, and stud/8 is what I'm thinking about (is this a mistake... should I take on stud first and then go to stud/8?), simply because I really have liked the game the little I've played (certainly more than O/8 or straight stud).

Cooling Heels
12-25-2004, 11:43 PM
"On this line, where else do they spread any stud/8 games under 5-10? "

1/5 spreadlimit at Jackpot Junction in Morton Minnesota,
2/10 spread limit at Saloon Number 10 in Deadwood, SD,
and 3/6 spread limit in the Palace Station, Las Vegas.

The Vegas game has a .25 ante, the other two are no-ante.