PDA

View Full Version : Tournament Play vs Cash Game

NORM77
12-21-2004, 07:00 PM
Hi there,

I am currently going through a wierd phase, where I am doing very well in cash game's (im up $1000+ over the past 2 months) and struggling mightily in Tournaments (Down $300+ over the past two months) I consider my self to be a good player, better then my opponents are in my regular tournies but for what ever reason I keep placing out of the money in my regular tournies and beat those same opponents when ever we play ring games.

If any one has any idea's on what I could be doing wrong in my tourny play or if any one has gone through a similar situation, please post some feedback.

Thanks.

jluker7
12-21-2004, 07:16 PM
Because, Successful cash game strategies are completly different in tournaments.

Read this.
Good Tournament Help Post (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=890506&page=&view=&sb =5&o=&vc=1)

TheWorstPlayer
12-21-2004, 08:19 PM
In cash games, exploiting small advantages makes you a lot of money overall, so it is worth it. In tournaments, however, you have a lot to be lost (the whole buy-in) and not much to be gained (just a few chips which may or may not make much of a difference in whether or not you place in the money) so try to avoid marginal situations much more often that you would in cash games. Better to give up a few chips and wait for a better spot even if you think you have a slightly better hand than to risk losing your whole stack.

PokerCat69
12-21-2004, 09:11 PM
In a tourny the blinds increase and eventually blind you out if you don't take down a few pots. In a cash game the blinds are peanuts so you can hold out way longer before making a move. Perhaps your lack of success in tournaments is due to not playing enough hands.