PDA

View Full Version : Pop, Soda, or Coke?

El Barto
12-21-2004, 05:59 PM
http://www.popvssoda.com/countystats/total-county.gif

The Source Webste (http://www.popvssoda.com)

stabn
12-21-2004, 06:05 PM
The pop vs soda website has been around for YEARS. I'd be really surprised if this hadn't been discussed here before.

Macdaddy Warsaw
12-21-2004, 06:16 PM
Firstly, Soda.

Secondly, if it's not coke, soda, or pop, what is it? I'd like to hear what the "other" actually is.

ThaSaltCracka
12-21-2004, 06:37 PM
weird, I am from the NW and I call it soda.

Joe Tall
12-21-2004, 06:40 PM
Tonic.

Peace,
Joe Tall

Patrick del Poker Grande
12-21-2004, 06:43 PM
More importantly, WHO THE [censored] CALLS IT "NO DATA?"

ThaSaltCracka
12-21-2004, 06:49 PM
well one thing is painfully obvious again, the southern states are dumber. Coke? come on people.

stabn
12-21-2004, 06:51 PM
Other is usually pretty entertaining on popvssoda, some examples:

Other from alabama:
[ QUOTE ]

3 dope
3 cola
3 7up
2 sprite
2 Drank
2 awesome
2 sweet colored water
1 Sody-pop
1 carbonated beverage
1 "a drink"
1 sodie water
1 "COKE"-cola
1 A Coke or Sumpn' (Meaning- A carbonated beverage OR something else NON carbonated
1 Fountain Drink
1 Well since I am from the deep south, I grew up with calling it DRANK, and everyone who doesn't call it that is really really dumb. Sometimes people make fun of us southerners because we wait hold on. I have to eat my squirel now cause my momma said so. Im back. Well anyway it is called drank and that is final.

[/ QUOTE ]

(Oh, and typically it's only worth looking at the southern states for other).

Georgia:
[ QUOTE ]

8 Co-Cola
5 cola
5 Soda Pop
5 Pepsi
4 cold drink
3 co-coler
3 pop
2 "dope"
2 Frosty Beverage
2 A DRINK
2 something to drink
2 sweet tea
2 Anti-Sleep Liquid
2 Fuzzy Bubbles
2 Dr. Pepper
2 depends on what it is
1 I grew up in alaska and used "pop", I went to school in upstate NY and heard "soda pop", i am living in GA now and hear "soda"...I use the phrase "refreshing beverage"
1 drink or drank
1 It is all COKE! You ask someone if they want a Coke, when they say yes, you ask what kind of coke regular, mt. dew, dr. pepper, diet, sprite, etc...It's all Coke though!
1 fuzzy stuffers
1 Fizz
1 cold one
1 Bubble
1 fizzizzle
1 Cokola
1 drank
1 juice
1 John Kerry is an idiot
1 Actual name of drink
1 fizzy drink
1 DCB (DIET COKE, BABY)
1 Bush is an idiot

Kentucky:
[ QUOTE ]

113 soft drink
8 drink
7 cold drink
7 soda-pop
5 Pepsi
3 Ale-8
2 cola
1 drink (all carbonated beverages are drink but not vis versa)
1 sodie
1 Sody Pop
1 whatever the name of it is (i.e. Mountian Dew, RC, etc.)

Missisippi:
[ QUOTE ]

14 drink
12 soft drink
4 soda pop
4 cold drink
2 co-cola
2 drank
1 tasty beverage
1 tasty cold beverage
1 cola
1 Belly Washes
1 Grew up in Mississippi saying "soft drink" went to grad school in Pennsylvania and heard mostly "soda" there, some "pop" and then "tonic" from New English classmates.

Texas:
[ QUOTE ]

110 soft drink
69 soda water
43 soda pop
32 cold drink
11 drink
8 Dr. Pepper
7 Dr Pepper
5 cola
4 fizzy
2 sodi-water
2 carbonated beverage
(A lot of texans like to explain it to you:
1 I grew up in Texas, and in Texas we ask for we want Coke = Coke, Sprite = Sprite etc. "Drink(s)" contain alcohol, "Soda" is associated with Soda Water/Club Soda, "Pop" is a slang term for your Dad. I now live in Alabama, and it's much different here. Here they call ALL carbonated beverages "coke." They'll say "I'd like a coke", someone will ask "what kind?" They'll respond "Dr Pepper". Although I have actually heard many of them say, "I need'a colddrink." Curiouser and curiouser!
1 sode-pop
1 Mostly coke, sometimes sodi-water or sodi-pop, but coke mostly used. both parents grew early in E. Texas and moved to Houston in late 30's.
1 I tend toward either the generic southern "Coke" or the older East Texas choice "soda pop" where both words are always said together. Many older East Texans will pronounce the "a" of "soda" as a long "e" sound, to make "sodee-pop."
1 In addition to the Southern "coke" I sometime say soda pop (or sodi pop). On an tangent, I read some of the other responses, and I am not sure where the person who said they grew up in Texas and moved to Alabama actually lived...but saying "coke" in Texas is as common as cotton. This person must have grown up in some place where there were a lot of transplanted yankees, as saying coke in Texas is no different than anywhere else in the South...and the map confirms it!
1 1 Thank you, this is an extremely important topic, and a concern of mine for many years!! This survey will clear up a lot of issues. I use either one depending on who I'm talking to. Soda, for some reason, seems more formal, pop seems like a slang term from where I grew up in Indiana. I think I started using Soda when I moved to Chicago. When our family lived in Hannibal Missouri, the other kids made fun of us when we said "pop". I said, what do you call it? "Sodie-pop or sodie", they would reply. Most people I met when I lived there seemed to confuse "a's" and "i's". For example, they would say Indiani and Missoura. I never quite understood that. If I use Coke it means Coca-cola but no other soft drink. There, I just used soft drink and I didn't even realize it. I never SAY soft drink, I must just use it when I write. Keep up the good work
1 If I am ordering at a restaurant I say the brand name I want. If I am referring to a collective group of drinks, I'll call them all Cokes. Example, The Cokes are on the table. There may be Dr. Peppers, Sprites, etc. on the table but its easier to say Cokes.
1 Soft drinks or cold drinks. Grew up in SE Texas, & so did my parents. I now live in LA & say "Pop". We didn't have soft drinks much growing up. But, we liked going to Grandmother's house (same city), because she usually kept bottles of Grapette in her frig for my brother & me! (1940's & 50's)

stabn
12-21-2004, 06:54 PM
Probably better than 'sody pop', or 'tonic' though. I pop unless i'm talking to a cailfornian, where i use soda, unless i want a specific brand, then i request that.

ThaSaltCracka
12-21-2004, 07:06 PM
well when you think about it, Coca-Cola is based in ATL, so I guess we shouldn't be surprised everyone calls soda that down there.

mmbt0ne
12-21-2004, 07:32 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />
well when you think about it, Coca-Cola is based in ATL, so I guess we shouldn't be surprised everyone calls soda that down there.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ding Ding Ding. That's exactly how it is, and why. Coke is the only soda I'll drink, except the occasional Mountain Dew.

ThaSaltCracka
12-21-2004, 07:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ding Ding Ding. That's exactly how it is, and why. Coke is the only soda I'll drink, except the occasional Mountain Dew.

[/ QUOTE ]Yeah, I knew that was it, I just felt like cracking a joke at you guys. Southern people are good people.

GuyOnTilt
12-21-2004, 08:30 PM
Nigga what is juice? I want some apple drink baby...

GoT

CCx
12-21-2004, 10:16 PM
map's accurate, soda all friggin' day (dont touch the stuff personally)

whiskeytown
12-21-2004, 10:25 PM
wow...I'm stunned

I grew up in an 80-100 percent pop county, but always called it coke....

probably cause I like coke better then pepsi....heh

RB

BottlesOf
12-21-2004, 10:30 PM
Hahaha, just another reason that the South is absolutely insane. What if you want a Pepsi or some other kind of "soft drink?"

jasonHoldEm
12-21-2004, 11:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Hahaha, just another reason that the South is absolutely insane. What if you want a Pepsi or some other kind of "soft drink?"

[/ QUOTE ]

Guy: I'd like a coke.
Waiter: What kind?
Guy: Pepsi.

I'm serious.

CCass
12-21-2004, 11:33 PM
You ask for a "Pepsi". If the fine establishement doesn't serve Pepsi, the waitress will correct you and ask if you would like a Coke.

brassnuts
12-21-2004, 11:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Map based upon 120,464 Respondants

[/ QUOTE ]

Not a large enough sample size... at least for the percentage breakdowns.

Randy_Refeld
12-22-2004, 12:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You ask for a "Pepsi". If the fine establishement doesn't serve Pepsi, the waitress will correct you and ask if you would like a Coke.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont' know if it is to make sure they sell one or because they really don't thik there is a difference I have found a lot of places treat them the same and just bring what they have when you order.

RR

Broken Glass Can
12-22-2004, 06:41 AM
Based on the poll results, it looks like only 1 in 7 people here are from that huge red area (mainly the South). This explains a lot.

The "soda" states largely voted for Kerry. Soda is an awful formal term, pop and coke is much more laid back.

Shouldn't Coca-Cola lose its trademark to the term Coke if so many people use Coke as a generic term?

nicky g
12-22-2004, 06:44 AM
There's a peace of valuable research if I ever saw one.

jakethebake
12-22-2004, 09:30 AM
In Texas everyone asks, "What kind of Coke do you want?"

And the typical answer is, "Dr. Pepper." /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Lazymeatball
12-22-2004, 10:48 AM
What's up with St. Louis and the large amount of sanity they display in calling it Coke while dwelling right on the border between retarded Pop and Coke land?

Oski
12-22-2004, 11:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Shouldn't Coca-Cola lose its trademark to the term Coke if so many people use Coke as a generic term?

[/ QUOTE ]

No. Coca-Cola protects the commercial use of its trademark, which is the most important element of maintaining the trademark. Just because many people associate a commercial name with a generic product (like soda) is not a reason to have you lose rights to your mark. Being very successful at marketing your brand should not be confused with attempting to trademark and market something common.

There are a number of products that fit this description: think of "Q-tips" for example; I am not even sure what the generic term for those is.

Oski
12-22-2004, 11:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
What's up with St. Louis and the large amount of sanity they display in calling it Coke while dwelling right on the border between retarded Pop and Coke land?

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean, soda?

elwoodblues
12-22-2004, 11:55 AM
Upcoming polls:

Kleenex vs. Tissue?
Band-aid vs. bandage
drinking fountain vs. bubbler (damn you Wisconsinites)

mmcd
12-22-2004, 11:58 AM
cotton swabs

Lazymeatball
12-22-2004, 11:58 AM
yes, I meant soda, I just saw that now and it's too late to edit. Damn Jim Beam. good catch. it means you actually scrolled back up to the top of the thread. /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

jakethebake
12-22-2004, 12:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
No. Coca-Cola protects the commercial use of its trademark, which is the most important element of maintaining the trademark. Just because many people associate a commercial name with a generic product (like soda) is not a reason to have you lose rights to your mark. Being very successful at marketing your brand should not be confused with attempting to trademark and market something common.

There are a number of products that fit this description: think of "Q-tips" for example; I am not even sure what the generic term for those is.

[/ QUOTE ]
Actually he's right. If a brand name becomes commonly used as the generic term for a product, it's possible have some serious trademark issues.

elwoodblues
12-22-2004, 12:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
it's possible have some serious trademark issues.

[/ QUOTE ]

Only if you don't protect your mark (as Oski said.)

ThaSaltCracka
12-22-2004, 12:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Actually he's right. If a brand name becomes commonly used as the generic term for a product, it's possible have some serious trademark issues.

[/ QUOTE ] yup, but in the case of Coke, they have trademarked much more than just the name. They have trademarked the shape of the bottle, as well as the design of "Coca-Cola". Also, Coke is far from a generic term. Just because roughly a 1/3 of the country uses that word to describe soda really means nothing. It would take a much larger % of the population to use it for it to be deemed generic.

jakethebake
12-22-2004, 12:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
The point is that it becomes very difficult to protect when it becomes the generic term for something.

Lazymeatball
12-22-2004, 12:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
The point is that it becomes very difficult to protect when it becomes the generic term for something.

[/ QUOTE ]

examples? q-tip? kleenex? I'm genuinely interested, not just trying to say your wrong in some internet agrument ego BS.

ThaSaltCracka
12-22-2004, 12:33 PM
Kleenex, Q-Tip, Xerox.

Let me ask my mom, she does Intellectual Property law, she has a long list of these things.

jakethebake
12-22-2004, 12:40 PM
Not that it's any kind of authoratative source but...

[ QUOTE ]
Trademarks, unlike other forms of intellectual property such as copyrights and patents, must be actively used and defended. A copyright or patent holder may simply "sit on" his creation and prevent its use, but a trademark owner claiming and even registering a trademark that fails to make active use of it, or fails to defend it against infringement may lose the exclusive right to use it. Further, if a court rules that a formerly trademarked term has become so successful in gaining mind share and becomes "generic" through common use (and so the average consumer doesn't realize it is a trademark), it may also be ruled invalid. A trademark may also become generic if the owner of the trademark registration fails to comply with the registration requirements.

[/ QUOTE ]

Link (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genericized_trademark)

jakethebake
12-22-2004, 12:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Kleenex, Q-Tip, Xerox.

Let me ask my mom, she does Intellectual Property law, she has a long list of these things.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is exactly why you never see just Kleenex. It's always Kleenex Brand Tissues. That way it's being used as an adjective rather than a noun, which is a big point in defending the trademark.

Lazymeatball
12-22-2004, 12:42 PM
good response, that's interesting. another possible example, Tyelenol (acetiminophen)

ThaSaltCracka
12-22-2004, 01:05 PM
this is what my mom just e-mailed me, should provide some insight:

....Not company names, names for goods, such as "escalator," "voicemail," and "internet." These are now considered part of the public domain because the use was so extensive, the owners of these marks were not able to police the use by third parties. JEEP, KLEENEX and BAND AID almost were considered generic, but the owners have taken an active stand of designating it as a trademark for those items and policing use of the mark by others. They are now advertised as "Kleenex(R) facial tissues," "Jeep(R) vehicles" and the new jingle for Band Aid: "I am stuck on Band Aid Brand, and Band Aid Brand is stuck on me." The jingle used to be "I am stuck on Band Aid, and Band Aid is stuck on me." These goods are also now designated as "Band Aid adhesive bandages." Xerox is now working very hard to protect the mark XEROX. Many people will make the statement "I am going to make a xerox of this paper," rather than "I am going to make a photocopy of this paper."

elwoodblues
12-22-2004, 01:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
this is what my mom just e-mailed me, should provide some insight:

....Not company names, names for goods, such as "escalator," "voicemail," and "internet." These are now considered part of the public domain because the use was so extensive, the owners of these marks were not able to police the use by third parties. JEEP, KLEENEX and BAND AID almost were considered generic, but the owners have taken an active stand of designating it as a trademark for those items and policing use of the mark by others. They are now advertised as "Kleenex(R) facial tissues," "Jeep(R) vehicles" and the new jingle for Band Aid: "I am stuck on Band Aid Brand, and Band Aid Brand is stuck on me." The jingle used to be "I am stuck on Band Aid, and Band Aid is stuck on me." These goods are also now designated as "Band Aid adhesive bandages." Xerox is now working very hard to protect the mark XEROX. Many people will make the statement "I am going to make a xerox of this paper," rather than "I am going to make a photocopy of this paper."

[/ QUOTE ]

Which is pretty much what Oski said when he said:
[ QUOTE ]
Coca-Cola protects the commercial use of its trademark, which is the most important element of maintaining the trademark

[/ QUOTE ]

ThaSaltCracka
12-22-2004, 01:09 PM
thats fine, I just wanted a few more examples of how companies protect their trademarks.

Lazymeatball
12-22-2004, 01:13 PM
very interesting, in a nerdy law school patent attorney way.

edit: this is meant as self depricating humour, not as some sort of personal insult. I've noticed many of my posts seem to come across as cheap shots, when in fact, I just have a nasty sense of humour.

ThaSaltCracka
12-22-2004, 01:16 PM
yeah, well my Mom isn't an attorney, she has just been a Parlegal forever. The Jeep one is pretty interesting though. Such a subtle change.

Oski
12-22-2004, 02:21 PM
Jello.

Of course, its gelatin. Who ever asks for a cup of gelatin? (Not that anyone really asks for Jello, either). In the early 1900's gelatin was considered a high-class dessert. Jello took over the market. At one point, Jello even produced a celery-flavored Jello (info courtesy of Food Channel).

Anyway, Jello still protects its trademark; a few years back, it sued the group "Green Jello" and forced them to change names.

Also, a part of trade mark is "trade dress." Which, as TSC mentioned earlier, would cover packaging, colors, etc.

Oski
12-22-2004, 02:26 PM
Question for those in regions that refer to soft-drinks as "Coke":

Do restaurant menus have a section titled "COKE?" Then below is there a list such as:

1. Coke ...
2. Bubble Up ...
3. Fresca ...
4. Aspen ...
5. Dr. Thunder ...

CCass
12-22-2004, 03:38 PM
What the hell is a menu? Down here, vittles is vittles. The food joints serve whatever they found on the road from the night before ('Possum being a local favorite).

Your drink choices are Tea (iced tea, sweet of course), Coke (Coke Cola, Pepsi, or RC), Coffee (none of this latte crap), Milk (straight from the Cow), or water (fresh from the well or stream).

ThaSaltCracka
12-22-2004, 03:40 PM
Latte&gt;regular coffee.
Sweet Tea&gt; Iced Tea
Water&gt;any soda
Beer trumps all though.

scotnt73
12-22-2004, 06:49 PM
a normal conversation with my wife:

wife:im heading to the store you want anything?
me:ill take a coke
wife:what kind?
me:dr pepper

yes im from texas

Oski
12-22-2004, 07:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]

yes im from texas

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you get the real sugar Dr. Pepper?

scotnt73
12-22-2004, 08:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

yes im from texas

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you get the real sugar Dr. Pepper?

[/ QUOTE ]

no but they have those at the dublin texas dp plant(about 2 hours from where i live in dallas i believe). i would love to try one sometimes. im a dp addict..lol

ClaytonN
12-22-2004, 08:35 PM
Im from GA, I say coke, pepsi, whatever the hell the drink is called.

If all else fails, I say soft drink.

MrFeelNothin
12-22-2004, 09:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The pop vs soda website has been around for YEARS. I'd be really surprised if this hadn't been discussed here before.

[/ QUOTE ]

Stabn- yes, in fact a very similar conversation with a very similar map occurred only two months ago! here (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&amp;Number=1177578&amp;page=&amp;view=&amp;sb=5&amp; o=&amp;fpart=5&amp;vc=1)