PDA

View Full Version : Chip spewing with TPGK?

Demana
12-21-2004, 05:39 PM
Live $4/8 9 handed ring game

Third hand at the table, no reads yet.

Hero is MP3 with KQo

Preflop: UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, MP2 <font color="red">raises</font>, Hero calls, CO folds, Button calls, SB folds, BB calls, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls.

Flop: K32 rainbow
Pot (14.5 SB)

UTG checks, UTG+1 checks, MP1 <font color="red">bets</font>, MP2 calls, Hero <font color="red">raises</font>, folded to MP1 who calls, MP2 folds.

Turn: 9 (completes rainbow)
Pot (9.5 BB)

MP1 <font color="red">bets</font>, Hero <font color="red">raises</font>, MP1 calls

River: 8
Pot (13 BB)

MP1 checks, Hero <font color="red">bets</font>, MP1 calls

Final pot (15 BB)

Did I miss the stop'n'go by MP1?
I should have folded preflop, right?
Was it a value bet on the river?

Lost Wages
12-21-2004, 05:56 PM
Based on your last two posts, I think you need to nail down a solid preflop strategy.

Lost Wages

stinkypete
12-21-2004, 06:00 PM
why did you raise the turn? do you really think it's that likely you're ahead? the guy is not going to fold a better hand.

Demana
12-21-2004, 06:03 PM
I've been in a downswing and having taken some time off, I wanted to post some questionable hands to figure out how much of the downswing is caused by poor preflop hand selection.

Given that, KQo is a hand that is dominated by a lot of legitimate early position raising hands. Hence, I should have folded preflop.

Derek in NYC
12-21-2004, 06:15 PM
Fold preflop. Everything else is standard.

[EDITED TO ADD:]

After posting this, I went back and read Stinky Pete's comment. I think I still play it this way on 4th street, but the stop-and-go does give me some pause, and I should play the river differently.

What hands could the villian have that he would: (1) raise preflop, (2) bet on the flop, and (3) bet on 4th street after being raised. (I missed the stop-n-go on my first reading.)

This is somewhat read-dependent, I guess. When I'm raised as the pre-flop raiser holding KQ, on a board like this I will at least three-bet it with any big pair, with top pair, or certainly with an overpair.

I dont do much stop-and-go unless I'm heads up, so it is pretty hard to put him on a hand. You're giving him quite a bit of credit if you put him on AK, KK, or AA only.

Is it totally unrealistic to think that QQ, JJ, and TT, might stop-and-go, just to run a bluff/define their hand? KQ, with whom you chop, might also do this.

If you're willing to put the villian on JJ-AA, AK, or KQ, the Pokerstove equity is slighly in favor of the hero (51%).

That said, the raise got called, so for the river you have to give even more credit: AA, AK, and KQ (not KK, because there was no reraise on 4th street). Against this lineup, KQ is a bigtime dog (14%), and so the river bet was unwise I guess.

Thanks, Stinky Pete, for getting me to think more about the hand.

ThePenguin
12-21-2004, 06:43 PM
KQo is hand that i'll cold call a raise with only in rare situations. (Against a maniac I'd probably reraise in hopes to isolate, if there are many people in the pot already, or from the BB for example). That being said, it's tough to imagine that your top pair Q kicker is good with that kind of action.

stinkypete
12-22-2004, 08:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If you're willing to put the villian on JJ-AA, AK, or KQ, the Pokerstove equity is slighly in favor of the hero (51%).

[/ QUOTE ]

51% isn't enough to raise. if he's behind (JJ-QQ) you're giving him a good reason to fold. if he's ahead, you're just giving him a chance to 3-bet and make it expensive for you (or force you to fold).

raising will let him get away from any worse hand, or build the pot for his better hand. that means if you're raising, you're doing it to protect your hand, but if he's behind he's way behind and you don't really need to protect here.

if you just call he may bet the river with a worse hand (JJ or QQ), and if he checks the river you can bet and be pretty sure you're ahead.