PDA

View Full Version : Profitability of online Stud, Stud/8

partygirluk
12-21-2004, 05:37 PM
I am guessing that it worse than Hold 'Em, as game selection is more limited. However, are there plenty of fish in the middle and higher limits? What is a decent rate in BB/Hr etc. I am just getting into Stud so I don't know anything about this.

Apologies if this has been posted before, please give me a link.

Thanks in advance.

hurlyburly
12-22-2004, 12:52 PM
It's real fishy at Party, and it's a great break from holdem. I reccommend adding it to your favorites and hopping in whenever you can. Much less variance than HE.

The hourly rate on stars for the non-Turbo SNGs is horrible even if you pull down firsts (they last easily 1.5 hours with only a $68 profit for 1st for a 20+2). They are great for learning hand values and practicing strategy, though, since you get to see so many hands. Once you get your game down, the 15+1 turbos are great, although you won't get more than 4-5/session.

If you can add Stud/8 and O/8 limit (more fish in limit and an easier learning curve than PLO/8) to your normal HE schedule, you won't be disappointed.

I get toasted everytime I try the cash games so I steer clear of those. Not sure why the tourny strategy won't hold up for me over there.

Nick_Foxx
12-22-2004, 06:32 PM
it is my experience that it is easier to win money at stud and stud/8 (and omaha/8 for that matter) than hold'em on-line

but i suck at hold'em

mike

Andy B
12-22-2004, 06:46 PM
My win rate is significantly higher at stud/8 than it is at hold'em, and I don't have that many losing sessions. Most people are pretty awful at the game, even guys who play other games well, so if you have a decent handle on it, you can do quite well with comparatively little risk. I also found high-only stud more profitable than hold'em back when I played it.

Michael Emery
12-23-2004, 06:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]

it is my experience that it is easier to win money at stud and stud/8 (and omaha/8 for that matter) than hold'em on-line

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I also found high-only stud more profitable than holdem back when I played it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I used to agree. Actually I somewhat still do agree. The best online stud players might make more per game than the top holdem players at the same limit. But be assured, holdem players make a lot more money overall.

The reason? Its (I wont say easy) much less demanding playing 4 games of 15-30 holdem than 4 games of stud at the same limit. Remembering exposed cards is the biggest reason. With the aid of "poker tracker" (which most all top online holdem players use) its even easier.

I dont have access to the precise hourly rate of some of party's best 15-30/30-60 holdem players. But from reading holdem threads and hearing hourly rates discussed I'll throw out this figure for them....4 15-30 games @2BB's per hr.=$240 per hour! I even think I'm shooting low with some holdem experts win rates here. And thats how playing four games can add up. Unfortunately, I am not a holdem expert and cannot beat partys 15 for nearly that clip. But this is why the most money online is to be made by holdem players. It is also why right now I am putting all my effort into studying a game I despise playing /images/graemlins/frown.gif. If only I could play holdem like I can stud.

Michael Emery