PDA

View Full Version : Poker Advice

flapgreen
12-21-2004, 04:10 PM
Hi everyone. I've been playing nl hold'em with play money for about 8 months now online. I've only gotten the chance to play in person a few times. I really want to play face to face more but I can't find anyone who does. I was just looking for advice on how to become a better player. I do very well online, with play money that is, but I know that doesn't mean a whole heck of a lot. Can anyone reccomend any good books to read and how to just basically become a better poker player? I've looked and a few books like Brunson's and Cloutier's books but I'm trying to decide the best set of books for a novice player as myself. Thanks everyone.

LomU
12-21-2004, 08:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Hi everyone. I've been playing nl hold'em with play money for about 8 months now online. I've only gotten the chance to play in person a few times. I really want to play face to face more but I can't find anyone who does. I was just looking for advice on how to become a better player. I do very well online, with play money that is, but I know that doesn't mean a whole heck of a lot. Can anyone reccomend any good books to read and how to just basically become a better poker player? I've looked and a few books like Brunson's and Cloutier's books but I'm trying to decide the best set of books for a novice player as myself. Thanks everyone.

[/ QUOTE ]

You came to the right place.

Click on the books link, you shall find what you need.

edit:[forgot to recommend something!]I only play Limit and have only read Smal Stakes Hold'em.

If you're into Limit I highly recommend it.

flapgreen
12-23-2004, 03:47 AM
AAAAAAAAAAAA!!! I just don't know where the heck to start. This online play money thing just hasn't improved my skills after the 1st couple of weeks or so. It seems like everyone calls everything. For some reason, I'm very frustrated. I really want to be a better poker player but i don't have a clue where to start. Read one of the many poker books? Play more? I know which hands are good but when it comes to betting I feel like I'm sleep walking through it even when I win. I play NL mostly. Has anyone been in this position? You want to improve but you don't know what to do about it.

the_rookie
12-23-2004, 04:50 AM
Ultimate Bet and Paradise has 0.01/0.02 nl games. People play a "little" more carefully when real money is on the line, even if it's only for pennies.

wildfirefighter
12-23-2004, 03:25 PM
Check out http://www.kingscascade.com/OnLine.html click on the "step by step" link. I started by reading "Ken Warren Teaches Texas Hold'em." Now I am reading Small Stakes Hold'em and The Phsycology of Poker from this publisher. I've heard that Hold'em Poker by Sklansky is a good place to start as well. Go to the local Borders, pick up a few poker books, get a cup of brew, then browse through them and buy the one you like best.

AncientPC
12-23-2004, 03:44 PM
Mangatang's page refers to limit HE, however if you're new to poker I'd recommend you learn limit before NL as well.

OrianasDaad
12-23-2004, 03:45 PM
I've definately been in your position. I've just switched over to NL from limit, and am learning the game just as you are.

From what I've learned so far, NL is more of an art than a science. A limit player can play correctly according to a formula and win. There really isn't one for NL. At least not one that I've found yet (I'm looking!).

Learning limit with play money can be good. I don't think that will work for NL, however. Bad players have no risk, and they can always get more play chips with a couple of clicks.

You might try www.pokerschoolonline.com (http://www.pokerschoolonline.com) (I think that's the link) because you get a set number of play money chips, and that's it. There's incentive for playing well, with various prizes, and some sort of leaderboard. There's a subscription service for lessons and whatnot, but there's more detail on the site. I haven't signed up for it, but some of the most recognizable names in poker are instructors there.

Barring the above, get on somewhere where the NL games are very low. It probably won't be too much different from play money, but just enough to begin the learning process.

Don't forget to read the 2+2 forums. I've learned much from what other experienced players have said - and some of the best players are here as well.