PDA

View Full Version : Too Aggressive in SB (Yes, I'm on Tilt)

lastcoyote
12-21-2004, 01:43 PM
First hand post ever. BB is "Maniac" (VPIP 70, PFR 21)

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 9/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG folds, MP folds, CO folds, Button folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (4 SB) 4/images/graemlins/club.gif, J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB caps</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (6 BB) K/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls.

River: (8 BB) K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls.

Final Pot: 10 BB

Help on all streets, please.

I want to add that this forum has been a big help (may not be obvious the way I played this hand, though).

Danenania
12-21-2004, 02:02 PM
Doesn't look outlandish to me against a maniac though check/calling the turn and river will get the same bets in with less risk of a raise since the maniac will always continue betting regardless of his hand.

naphand
12-22-2004, 10:19 AM
PF fine, consider a CR on this flop if maniac bets close to 100%, when 3-bet call. If he calls your CR I would decide what to do on the Turn depending on the card, in this case I would have bet (a maniac calling a CR probably means he is behind, he may fold).

Maniac is not folding this once he caps, so he must have a good part of that board. When he caps and you bet out on the Turn, you have said you have 2-pair or better, maniac may put you on AK also. The K could make a straight, maniacs will play QT this way. The general rule is that if the flop is capped, you are going to SD. Betting the Turn is risky, as Danman says, as some maniacs will bluff raise this, have QT or 2-pair and you will be raised and may just fold out or make a terrible re-raise with your improved outs. You are probably not ahead more than 50% of the time here, if that, so I think check/call to SD without improvement, you picked up a ton of outs on the Turn, so easily have odds to call, but quite probably not to bet, he is not folding. When you are not raised on the Turn, the River is a safer bet, but I think opponent would have bet this through for you anyway.

A raise on the Turn with put you in a difficult spot, and you would have to pay off. One of the reasons many passive types can make money at the tables, is they let others "do the betting". We can borrow from this strategy when appropriate (i.e. facing very aggressive players who bet their marginal hands strongly) with weaker hands of our own. Save the wars for your bigger hands.

lastcoyote
12-22-2004, 11:04 AM
Thanks Danenania &amp; naphand!

I had lost a couple of hands to this guy and I really was tilting. But apparently the tilting coyote played fine on the flop but made unnecessary turn and river bets.

I would normally have just called the flop re-raise. I can see now that what I was afraid was mis-placed aggression was actually correct. (Learning from tilt?)

I see how I went wrong after that.

Result:

BB had J? clubs and took it down.