PDA

View Full Version : Poorly played 88. . . help please.

itsmesteve
12-21-2004, 01:27 PM
Button is SLA-A in about 8 or 9 orbits.
Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is CO with 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, MP3 folds, Hero calls, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, SB folds, BB folds, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, Hero calls.

<font color="green">I think I missed a raise here, despite the action behind. </font>

Flop: (11.50 SB) 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif, T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
UTG+2 checks, MP1 checks, MP2 checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, UTG+2 calls, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, Hero calls.
<font color="green"> looking back this has got to be raise/fold right? </font>
Turn: (7.25 BB) A/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG+2 checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, UTG+2 folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.
<font color="green"> i've already butchered it, why not spew some chips too?</font>
River: (13.25 BB) 9/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero folds.
<font color="green"> did i top it all off with a poor river fold, or does not beating the board here make it ok to fold?- what hand does he raise preflop that doesn't beat the board
</font>

Final Pot: 14.25 BB

Hack
12-21-2004, 01:41 PM
Don't 3bet with 88 just because he is SLA.

Fold the flop, and you avoid all the trouble that you ran into. Think about the hands button would raise with. Maybe a high pair, maybe AK is more likely, certainly you have to think maybe he has an Ace. An ace flopped so fold the flop. You don't have odds to take a card off.

You're looking to hit your set or fold most of the time with 8s and below, unless you flop an overpair.

He 3bet the turn here. I am putting him on trip aces.

Gravy (Gravy Smoothie)
12-21-2004, 01:48 PM
With 3 overcards and 4 opponents on this flop, you can assume someone has a better pair. You are not getting proper odds to try and spike an 8 on the turn, so fold the flop.

Yads
12-21-2004, 01:56 PM
Fold the flop. You generally play 88 to spike a set, if you don't hit it, you fold. Especially on a flop with 3 over cards plus an ace.

Kasumeat
12-21-2004, 05:05 PM
It's not the correct play anyways, but if you're going to try to represent an ace on the turn, just bet out. At half the cost, it will work more than half as often as a checkraise here. Especially since you're against a PF raiser, who may very well have an ace here.

wabe
12-21-2004, 07:39 PM
I agree with this assessment. Your 88 is likely no g00t.