PDA

View Full Version : Flop a Set and Watch the Fur Fly -- How to Play the River?

MisterKing
12-21-2004, 12:30 PM
My question for all of you is: do you slow down on the turn here? The river? I went into check/call mode on 5th street fearing a larger set, or made straight -- but looking back I may have been a little too cautious. Input appreciated.

Table was fairly loose and aggressive as far as Party 2/4 tables go. Button in this hand is known to take his TPTK hands way too far, and is LA-P by BisonBison's auto-rating schedule. Not enough data on either of the other players to really have any reads, unfortunately. Also, FWIW, I'd been folding a ton at this table in the 30 to 40 minute period before this hand came up.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 4/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, SB calls, Hero calls, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls, MP3 calls.

Flop: (14 SB) A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif, T/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(7 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, UTG+1 checks, UTG+2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, SB folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, MP1 calls, MP3 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Button caps</font>, Hero calls, MP1 calls, MP3 calls.

Turn: (15 BB) Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP1 calls, MP3 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, Hero calls, MP1 calls, MP3 calls.

Ok, so button clearly loves his hand here. He's capped the flop and raised the turn. I contemplated a 3-bet, but decided the combonation of the loose button and 2 other unknown callers was no good for a raise. In retrospect I think not raising might have been a serious mistake on my part.

River: (23 BB) 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP1 checks, MP3 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero calls, MP1 calls, MP3 calls.

Final Pot: 27 BB

River2Pair
12-21-2004, 12:37 PM
i'd three-bet the turn.

call, check call if he caps.

lead, call a raise if he calls.

runa
12-21-2004, 01:26 PM
I think given your position I would have wanted to bet the flop. With all those callers in between you and the PFR you want them to call and then have the PFR raise to build up that pot, and then make it three back to the field. Alot of loose players will then be tied on to the pot with marginal holdings, and on a fairly uncoordinated rainbow board like this I think its worth it.

On the turn I think with the other callers stringing along you probably should 3-bet and slow down to a cap.

Again on the river, since you didn't raise the turn, bet the river and hope the MP's get trapped in between for more bets again.