PDA

View Full Version : Wireless network help for the technologically retarded

sfer
12-21-2004, 12:22 PM
I got a laptop, wireless router and the rest yesterday. The old desktop has a wired connection to the router, which has a wired connection to the cable modem.

Both the router and the laptop card are 802.11 b/g. The laptop can see my network and is connected, according to XP. However, opening IE or anything that requires internet access says that I'm not connected. And, oddly, when I start IE, the first comment it has on the lower left that I can read is something about Proxy settings.

Anyone have any ideas what is happening?

ThaSaltCracka
12-21-2004, 12:32 PM
hmmm.... if I remember correctly, because I believe I had the same problem, you need to connect your laptop, or any computer to your new router via a cable. Then, there should be a specific ISP for your router that you need to go to to set it up properly. I am pretty sure this is what I did. The ISP should be the manual for the router /images/graemlins/tongue.gif. IIRC, all I had to do was literally click like one box for it to work.

sfer
12-21-2004, 12:43 PM
Thanks TSC. If something that straightforward makes it work I'm going to be totally livid. Like fast food ATM surcharges furious because I was up until 4 last night fiddling with settings to try to get it going and now I'm dying at work.

Do you have a D-Link router?

RickDecker
12-21-2004, 12:45 PM
Sfer:

What is the specific error message that you are getting from IE? It sounds like your laptop may not have any DNS entries. DNS is the service that translates the website names (www.twoplustwo.com) into the IP addresses that the Internet uses.

Alternatively, your laptop might be looking for a proxy server, which probably doesn't exist on your home network. Go to Tools-->Internet Options-->Connections-->LAN Settings in IE to see if a proxy server has accidently been entered.

Cheers,

Rick

ThaSaltCracka
12-21-2004, 12:58 PM
no, I have a Belkin wireless router. I mean, it could be something different, but for mine it was something that simple.

Oh yeah, it took me several hours to figure this out as well /images/graemlins/mad.gif

BusterStacks
12-21-2004, 12:59 PM
post if you cant fix it. I have a D-Link, among others.

wacki
12-21-2004, 02:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The laptop can see my network and is connected, according to XP. However, opening IE or anything that requires internet access says that I'm not connected. And, oddly, when I start IE, the first comment it has on the lower left that I can read is something about Proxy settings.

[/ QUOTE ]

The reason? You changed your MAC address. The MAC address or Machine Access Code is how your ISP(internet service provider) identifies you. The MAC address is hard encoded into your wireless router. What you need to do is register your router with your ISP . It's easy as that. Your network is working perfectly if IE can detect proxies. It's your ISP that is rejecting you. I use insight and I simply goto insightbb.com to register a new router. You may not be using insight cable as your ISP though.

destro
12-21-2004, 02:30 PM
Go to Tools-->Internet Options-->Connections-->LAN Settings in IE ....generally you want everything here UNCHECKED. This is probably your problem. It could be that you have to register your new MAC adress of your new router. To test the MAC simply hard wire your computer into the router and see if it works. If it does than no worries re: the MAC.
If your still having problems make sure your wireless connection is getting an IP address from the router. Sometimes the wireless card sees the wireless network but dosnt connect. To check this go to command prompt (startmenu/run...type "cmd" +enter) and type "ipconfig". Your wireless card should most likely have an address of 192.168.1.101 or 192.168.0.100...if it says not connected or gives you a number that dosnt start with 192.168 your not connecting properly to your router. Im sure if your google " setting up wireless router" you can get some additional info.

ThaSaltCracka
12-21-2004, 02:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The laptop can see my network and is connected, according to XP. However, opening IE or anything that requires internet access says that I'm not connected. And, oddly, when I start IE, the first comment it has on the lower left that I can read is something about Proxy settings.

[/ QUOTE ]

The reason? You changed your MAC address. The MAC address or Machine Access Code is how your ISP(internet service provider) identifies you. The MAC address is hard encoded into your wireless router. What you need to do is register your router with your ISP . It's easy as that. Your network is working perfectly if IE can detect proxies. It's your ISP that is rejecting you. I use insight and I simply goto insightbb.com to register a new router. You may not be using insight cable as your ISP though.

[/ QUOTE ]
AHA! This is what it was on mine. Good think Wacki showed up, because I couldn't remember the names of anything. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

edtost
12-21-2004, 05:24 PM
does the internet connection on the old pc work? if so, does the laptop work when wired into the router?

if yes to the first, on the laptop try
start->run cmd
ipconfig \renew

sfer
12-21-2004, 06:23 PM
The laptop works fine when I wire it to the router directly, so according to Destro the problem isn't the MAC, right?

All of the IE LAN settings are unchecked. It says I'm connected when I double click my little wireless connection status thing, and I'm sending packets out but not receiving any. What gives? I hate Windows.

ThaSaltCracka
12-21-2004, 06:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The laptop works fine when I wire it to the router directly, so according to Destro the problem isn't the MAC, right?

[/ QUOTE ]
wrong, I was able to do this as well. I always was sending packets but not receiving them as well, and I sure as hell didn't fix it by right click on stuff and setting up whatever the hell they are talking about.

Literally all I did was connect to my router via a cable, type in the IP address for your router, and then set something up on that website. Your manual should tell you what it is that needs to be changed.

sfer
12-21-2004, 06:57 PM
It's official, TSC. You rule. Works after I reran the wizard from my laptop. Sweetness.

ThaSaltCracka
12-21-2004, 07:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It's official, TSC. You rule. Works after I reran the wizard from my laptop. Sweetness.

[/ QUOTE ] wireless is nice, eh? no cords, you can surf the net while watching TV from the couch, play poker on the couch, play poker while lying down..... you PC guys are really missing out.

craig r
12-21-2004, 07:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
play poker on the couch, play poker while lying down..... you PC guys are really missing out.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, but a laptop that will allow you to 3-4 table is not cheap at all (at least i can't afford it right now).

ThaSaltCracka
12-21-2004, 07:44 PM
I can two table pretty easily though, so thats not bad.

sfer
12-21-2004, 08:00 PM
Under $1600.

wacki
12-21-2004, 09:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Literally all I did was connect to my router via a cable, type in the IP address for your router, and then set something up on that website. Your manual should tell you what it is that needs to be changed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ahhh, if you are typing your ip address in for your router, you are registering your laptop with your router. If you are typing in the address of your ISP, you are registering your router with your ISP.