PDA

View Full Version : Play with a negative expectation

09-01-2001, 12:53 PM
I just asked myself is there any reason to play a hand which has a negative expectation? The only thing I can thing about is to tease you're opponent and hope he's gonna be on tilt or something. Is there anybody who can tell me something usefull about this. The other question I have looks like the first question is there something like an indirect expectation. For example in pot limit you don't charge him the full pot with the nuts just for one reason being sweet...

09-02-2001, 09:32 AM
The main "excuse" for playing a hand that loses money is for "advertising" purposes: you play a hand differently than you usually do to create a false image in the opponents mind about how you play, but you play differently than that later. The classic example is to make a hopeless bluff figuring you will get paid off later when you bet your good hands. The key words for "advertising" are "differently" and "false".

The main "art" to "advertising" is choosing gulible opponents; the 2nd is to choose situations that are "clearly" wrong but don't cost much.

Yes, you can push some opponents on tilt when you play "poorly" and beat their good hand with a bad one. But these guys are probably going to go on tilt anyway (someone else will accidentally do it).

- Louie