PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping giant at river or what?

Roadstar
12-21-2004, 04:01 AM
Turn call ok? I suspect Turn call wasn't ok, also I'm not sure why UTG bet out here?

River raise ok? Fold to 3bet?

THx

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is Button with K/images/graemlins/spade.gif, Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
UTG calls, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 calls, CO folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB folds, BB calls, UTG calls, MP3 calls.

Flop: (8.50 SB) 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 5/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, MP3 checks, Hero checks.

Turn: (4.25 BB) T/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, MP3 calls, Hero calls, BB folds.

River: (7.25 BB) K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG 3-bets</font>, MP3 folds, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 14.25 BB

davelin
12-21-2004, 04:51 AM
I'd bet the flop. Given you didn't, I fold the turn.

Siingo
12-21-2004, 08:10 AM
Yes I would too bet the flop and then maybe get a freecard at the turn.

But I would not fold the turn. He has two overcards and a gut shot stright draw. since noone bet the the flop then I give hes overcards 4 outs and the gutshot will I give 3.5 outs since there is a flush draw. That give you 7.5 outs. Lets say 7 outs. The pot is 6.25 BB oan your odds is 5.57! I would call. A preatty close call but still a call. And if you count the implied odds then it is a clear call!

sy_or_bust
12-21-2004, 08:31 AM
UTG checked to you on the flop, hoping to raise you. Failing that he bet out the turn. Doesn't seem that tricky. He is just advertising a strong hand and does not wish to miss bets on it.

This should set off alarm bells for you on a 955 flop. Playable from early position certainly are many pocket pairs, including 99. If not, a lot of early players like to limp with some strong stuff, i.e. AK/AQ, and you could even be staring at T9.

Given this I call the river, expecting to lose most of the time but certainly in need of information. I don't think your raise is a horrible play (reads would help), but obviously it didn't work out for you because UTG still liked his hand. You might have been able to recognize this earlier and adjust your strategy.

jinyk
12-21-2004, 09:29 AM
Bet the flop. Invest the SB to see what's what. Might just kick out a random ace that redraws on you. You might just win unimproved or without a show down.

Heck, the turn could be anything given that you didn't bet the flop.

Turn call was ok. Granted you might be drawing dead with that pair on board - but no need to be so pessimistic - generally you've got out something like 7-8 outs.

If you had bet the flop and turn, you can easly fold to action given back to you on the turn/river.

dr. klopek
12-21-2004, 09:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Given this I call the river, expecting to lose most of the time

[/ QUOTE ]

genius.

Bet the flop. Fold the turn.

dr. klopek
12-21-2004, 09:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
the gutshot will I give 3.5 outs since there is a flush draw.

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh?

chief444
12-21-2004, 09:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
UTG checked to you on the flop, hoping to raise you. Failing that he bet out the turn. Doesn't seem that tricky. He is just advertising a strong hand and does not wish to miss bets on it.

This should set off alarm bells for you on a 955 flop. Playable from early position certainly are many pocket pairs, including 99. If not, a lot of early players like to limp with some strong stuff, i.e. AK/AQ, and you could even be staring at T9.

[/ QUOTE ]
Can you say weak/tight? He could be betting pocket dueces or Ax as well.

Yads
12-21-2004, 12:25 PM
Why is everyone folding the turn? I'd say with a healthy discount he's got 7 outs, which gives him about 5.5:1 on a 6.25:1 proposition.

PokerBob
12-21-2004, 01:30 PM
Not betting the flop here is criminal IMO.

You have no odds to call the turn, so fold. I think I would raise the turn before I called. But folding is by far the best option.

Roadstar
12-21-2004, 03:48 PM
Ok bet the flop /images/graemlins/grin.gif

And yes villain had A5os and probably whiffed on the C/R on the flop.

Thx