PDA

View Full Version : AQ vs. AK?

therockofgibraltar
12-21-2004, 03:43 AM
Just sat, no reads. I consider them all to be passive until proven otherwise. Is this good tactic?

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+2 with Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif, A/images/graemlins/heart.gif. MP2 posts a blind of $1.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP1 folds, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 (poster) 3-bets</font>, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button folds, SB folds, BB calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, MP2 calls, BB calls.

Flop: (12.50 SB) A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, BB calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 3-bets</font>, BB folds, Hero calls.

Turn: (9.75 BB) T/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 10.75 BB

mr pink
12-21-2004, 03:55 AM
what are you doing folding the turn?

i normally wouldn't cap preflop, but against a poster i think it's ok. the flop check/raise is uncalled for, just lead out, if he raises then 3-bet, if he caps then you gotta call him down.

you dont have any read on this guy except that he posted in mp2, what made you think you had to be behind to AK? you have no read, this guy could be a huge lag thats 3-betting his pair of eights cause he thinks this is the wpt. the more i look at this, the more i think you folded a winner.

Roadstar
12-21-2004, 04:17 AM
Maybe try this line:

Preflop - Just call the 3-bet

Flop - C/R fine, again no need to cap, you don't have 2 pair or trips

Turn - Bet and Fold to a raise, many LAGs call down after crazy flop action.

milesdyson
12-21-2004, 04:42 AM
Even if he flipped over an Ace with a paired kicker (or AK), the pot is large enough that you should call and hope for your Q.

Not! It isn't big enough... It would need to be 15 bets for that, forget what I said as I don't like the play preflop either.

bennyk
12-21-2004, 04:56 AM
I don't make this cap unless HU, or expecting to get HU as a result.

I feel a better flop line is bet, 3-bet. If it is capped, THEN you can think about check-folding the turn UI. Do you see why this could be better since you are out of position?

I agree that you are behind on the turn. Nonetheless, if you play as above, you will have more information going into the turn.

This pot is very large to be looking for folding opportunities.

bk

therockofgibraltar
12-21-2004, 05:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I feel a better flop line is bet, 3-bet. If it is capped, THEN you can think about check-folding the turn UI. Do you see why this could be better since you are out of position?

[/ QUOTE ]

No /images/graemlins/smile.gif
Maybe because if he bets the turn, he ain't afraid of getting check-raised --&gt; he has a good hand and I can fold?

But you are all right. the preflop cap was not a great idea and I neither was that check-raise.

bennyk
12-21-2004, 06:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
No /images/graemlins/smile.gif
Maybe because if he bets the turn, he ain't afraid of getting check-raised --&gt; he has a good hand and I can fold?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is exactly why i felt that way. If he caps the flop and bets the turn, you can be very confident he can beat top pair, Q kicker. Now that I think about it, though, leading the turn makes more sense with this line, IF you can fold to a turn raise, since it prevents his taking a crack at your weakness. I guess if you can't fold to a raise, you should check-call this down.

bk

Carmine
12-21-2004, 08:14 AM
After you get 3-bet PF by the new "Nut Job" (that's what they all are till they prove otherwise) I like to go into information mode.

Flop: Bet/Call
Turn: Check/Call
River: Check/Call

For one more BB you still have a chance at taking it down and gather alot on info on your opponent right from the first hand. Don't forget you have to think what is he thinking also. He doesn't know you either. Maybe he puts you on any high PP and thinks his paired up ace is good. You don't know.

Fiddler
12-21-2004, 08:30 AM
I'm not folding top pair second best kicker against an unknown when I'm getting around 6:1 on check-calling it to showdown.

mr pink
12-21-2004, 02:15 PM
i've seen this kind of play from a lot of posters, they just sit down - they have a ton of chips cause they just cashed in and they wanna play. there is no way i'm folding top pair queen kicker in this situation. you have no clue how this guy plays, he might be pushing AJ or even KK, you just dont know.