PDA

View Full Version : HU KK's with 4 straight, check the river?

Schizo
12-21-2004, 03:42 AM
Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with K/images/graemlins/spade.gif, K/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button folds, SB folds, BB folds, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls.

Flop: (7.50 SB) 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 7/images/graemlins/club.gif, 8/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG+2 checks, MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+2 folds, MP1 calls.

Turn: (4.75 BB) 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP1 calls.

River: (6.75 BB) T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 10.75 BB

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
MP1 has Jc Qh (straight, queen high).
Hero has Ks Kh (one pair, kings).
Outcome: MP1 wins 10.75 BB. </font>

TripleH68
12-21-2004, 04:23 AM
Just think about what hands the villain calls with that you beat? Why did he call the flop &amp; turn?

Schizo
12-21-2004, 04:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Just think about what hands the villain calls with that you beat? Why did he call the flop &amp; turn?

[/ QUOTE ]

Straight draws, 2 clubs, and over pairs.

So is bet turn check and check river the best move? Or are you saying I should check fold the river? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Siingo
12-21-2004, 06:59 AM
If he was going for a flush draw then he will fold to your bet. If he had overcards then he fold. He will probably call with one pair since he called all the way and with two pairs two (that will beat you). And he will raise (and you call) if he hit the stright and that cost you 2BB.

I do not think there is enouth value in this to bet. If you check then he might bet his pair anyway and even try a bluff with hands that he would fold if you bet. Check/call!

wuarhg
12-21-2004, 07:10 AM
You might also consider betting and folding to a raise if he's passive. The board looks as scary to him as it does for you if he doesn't have the straight.

Advice: Don't post the results instantly, it might get you different answers. You have to put us in your shoes, and if you have reads, please post them.

Schizo
12-21-2004, 07:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Advice: Don't post the results instantly, it might get you different answers. You have to put us in your shoes, and if you have reads, please post them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Understood.

chesspain
12-21-2004, 08:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I do not think there is enouth value in this to bet. If you check then he might bet his pair anyway and even try a bluff with hands that he would fold if you bet. Check/call!

[/ QUOTE ]

YUCK...this is an extremely easy value bet. There are so many worse hands you will be shown here on the river. I would almost always bet, and unless I had a good read on my opponent I would usually call a raise.

chief444
12-21-2004, 09:00 AM
You played it fine on all streets.

MrDannimal
12-21-2004, 01:30 PM
Agreed, and it's not even close.

Just last night I had no less than 5 hands like this where I was the aggressor the whole way, and the only remaining foe either led out the river, or raised me.

Every time, I had the better hand. A few of those were river scare cards, where I suppose they were trying a bluff but the others were just utter insanity (betting or raising with less than ace high, and not even a draw of any kind to have missed).

All were by different people.

This is an easy value bet at these limits. You call the raise unless this guy is so tight he's purple.

Fat Nicky
12-21-2004, 03:07 PM
I think you played this perfectly. The pot is certainly big enough to call the river.

Guy McSucker
12-21-2004, 04:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Because he's an idiot.

You saw the results, right?

Guy.

TheManInBlack
12-21-2004, 04:45 PM
Well, the pot is certainly big enough but it is too obvious that he hit the straight. Call me extra conservative but I would have saved the bet and check/folded. Take the one BB saved and use it on the next river when it is not so obvious that you are beaten.

marching_on_together
12-21-2004, 05:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Well, the pot is certainly big enough but it is too obvious that he hit the straight. Call me extra conservative but I would have saved the bet and check/folded. Take the one BB saved and use it on the next river when it is not so obvious that you are beaten.

[/ QUOTE ]

"extra conservative"

you are indeed Mrs T

Fat Nicky
12-21-2004, 05:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
me extra conservative but I would have saved the bet and check/folded.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now that is out of hand. Calling or folding to villains raise is close, but check/folding is just terrible