PDA

View Full Version : Just told the parents...thanks 2+2

lightw1thoutheat
12-21-2004, 01:42 AM
Hey,
I've got everyone here to thank for two reasons.

First, I just wanted to thank everyone here about the advice about talking to one's family about poker. I told my parents tonight (after weeks of agonizing about it) that I've been playing online and made a good chunk of money. (considering im just a college student and by no means that solid of a player yet) I was expecting the absolute worst from them, considering they are very strict moralists, but they reacted much better than expected. This was definitely helped by the advice that i read hear. Thanks guys, now i have my parents behind my back, instead of this secret behind mine.

The second thing is to thanks everybody for the dearth of constant info and advice. I know ive been mostly a lurker, but everything is very appreciated. These boards have been in inspiration to try and play better poker every day.

And to everyone who is keeping poker from their parents, the reactions/consequences might not be as bad as you imagine them.

Thanks again
I hope everyone has a happy holiday season and good luck in the new year.
-Light

BlueBear
12-21-2004, 02:21 AM
Well done, light. With your 'good chunk of money', don't forget to get them something nice during these holidays.

jtr
12-21-2004, 08:10 AM
Good for you. A life lived in fear is a life half lived, as my old pal Baz Luhrmann is fond of saying.

[ QUOTE ]
The second thing is to thanks everybody for the dearth of constant info and advice.

[/ QUOTE ]

This kind of silliness says more about me than you, but I'll do it anyway: the word "dearth" doesn't mean what you think it means. "Dearth" is a lack or a scarcity of something. And I assume you meant the opposite, right? Or who knows, perhaps the joke is on me.

lightw1thoutheat
12-21-2004, 03:09 PM
oops, did i say dearth when i mean plethora?
sorry guys, let me rephrase, thanks for the advice.

Blarg
12-21-2004, 09:18 PM
I gotta admit I got a helluva wry grin when I read that too. Sounded like you were telling everyone to eff off! haha!