PDA

View Full Version : Weak-tighting it up

Kasumeat
12-20-2004, 11:54 PM
Pokerroom .5/1. Table is more LP than usual.

Preflop: 2 limpers to me, I raise from EP with A/images/graemlins/heart.gif K/images/graemlins/heart.gif. 7 See the flop.

Flop: 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif,K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif. 2 checks to me, I bet, MP3 folds, UTG+1 and UTG +2 call.

Turn (9BB): 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif. UTG+1 bets, UTG+2 calls, I fold.

How awful is this play?

milesdyson
12-20-2004, 11:59 PM
Meh, at least call down without reads. You can't improve to beat the straight or flush that UTG+1 is representing, but people love bluff-betting cards like this on the turn.

wcsherry
12-21-2004, 12:02 AM
UTG+1 has gone from passively check//calling to waking up on the turn.

the weak tight logic would tell you that he has hit two pair, a straight, or a flush (most likely a straight or a flush)

while this is possible, i still like a raise on the turn to see where i'm at (which will possibly buy a free showdown).

if 3 bet on the turn you will have a better idea of what the villian might be holding, making this situation an easier fold.

just my opinion,
~WC

Kasumeat
12-21-2004, 12:46 AM
Against a LP, is a raise really going to help me?

If he has a weaker pair, he'll probably fold, as even a fish can see how scary this board is.

If he has a king, he'll probably call down.

If he has a set or two-pair, he'll call.

If he has a straight, he may raise or call.

If he has a flush, he'll probably raise, but may call with a weak one.

Then what? The only situation in which a raise is optimal here is against another king. This seems extremely unlikely, given the action.

wcsherry
12-21-2004, 12:49 AM
sorry, i should have clarified my post-

if 3-bet on the turn i'm folding. if he just calls on the turn, i'm checking on the river and hoping for a freeshowdown, folding to a bet

Kasumeat
12-21-2004, 04:37 PM
Bumping because I'd like to see a little more discussion here, I thought this hand was pretty interesting.