PDA

View Full Version : 7cs Hi-lo for a home game

05-14-2002, 11:43 AM
I'm curious about variations of 7cs hi/lo for a home game that has played a few split pot games (low spade in hole splits).

To start, I've decided not to play with a qualifier for low. My real question is whether to allow scooping both high and low and whether to use a declare. My feeling is that if I use a declare, I should probably avoid scooping as it could lead to problems. However, I know that playing for a scoop is the best way to play split pot games, so should I have that and get rid of the declaration?

Any advice would be appreciated, particularly as to a game configuration that will get enough action to be picked by other players on their deal. Thanks.

05-14-2002, 11:20 PM
Play it 8 or or better for low and cards speak. This will cause the least amount of headaches. Wrong declares and such. 8 or better stud is a game that offers great action and can be very profitable for the better players. Good luck.

05-15-2002, 11:18 AM
Play it as many ways as you want!

We have 3 hi/low 7cs games in our game:

1. Cards speak. No qualifier for low.

2. Cards speak 8 or better. Qualifier.

3. Declare. No qualifier. If you declare both ways, you must win both outright or get nothing. Just be sure that everyone is fully aware of the declaration rules. Also, make sure that there will never, never, never ever be any leniency for declaring the wrong way. This should be so obviously necessary i won't even get into it.

Declare gets the most action in our game. 8 or better is very popular, but declare gets crazy pots. We also play with a betting round after the declare.

In all our hi/low games, we play that A-2-3-4-5 is the best low. Straights and flushes do not count against your low. ie, we encourage scooping.

Good luck.

05-15-2002, 03:34 PM
broom,

We play your no. 3, no qualifier and a bet before and after the declare. It works great cos you get huge pots and it's a good game for the better players to make a bit of an earn. You also get to make plays that seem crazy to many and can add to the atmosphere.

Last time we played I got stuck behind in both directions between an obvious better hi and low by about 5th St. So, what'd'ye do? Pick on the tighter player, represent a good high by bets/raises, declare hi, raise the low's bet to force the hi out and win half with your measly pair of 2's.

There's lots of fun to be had in certain spots. (I didn't win brownie points with the hi guy there, but since he's reading books and trying to win off the others more than being the usual social type, i dind't mind too much).

I'd definitely recomend hi-lo, no qualifier, with a declare. A bunch of good reading on teh game in the hi-lo chapter in Super System, btw.

i don't know why, but a couple of our guys have trouble understanding that A2345 can be the best low. "but it's a high hand..!?". Flushes too.

Maybe I should ask why the Ace can be both 1 and 13, huh..?

G

05-16-2002, 10:30 AM
Graham,

Yes, declare is a great game. Allows for some very creative play. Funny thing about that game is to many average players they always feel like there is hope. if your hand busts out on 5th street there's that voice in the back of your head trying to rationalize..."well, i could be the only guy to declare one way, so...."

Pots get very big.

I got to declare low with a full house the other night. that was a first! and good thing because i would've lost.