PDA

View Full Version : Airport Card in MAC..please help

craig r
12-20-2004, 10:03 PM
My wife has just gotten a G3 IBook. It came with an airport card. Is there anyway that she can connect to the internet from our house without me having to buy a router and what not? WE have a cable internet connection currently, but only have one computer so no need for a router. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. If it is possible I would probably need instructions on how to do it..Cox is not willing to help me with this.

thanks,

craig

Big
12-20-2004, 10:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
My wife has just gotten a G3 IBook. It came with an airport card. Is there anyway that she can connect to the internet from our house without me having to buy a router and what not? WE have a cable internet connection currently, but only have one computer so no need for a router. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. If it is possible I would probably need instructions on how to do it..Cox is not willing to help me with this.

thanks,

craig

[/ QUOTE ]

If you want both computers online simultaenously, you need either a router or a hub. I don't know if your ISP will support a hub--it sounds like they won't.

There's an ethernet port on the left side of the iBook if you only want to unplug one box and plug in the other.

The first thing I'd do is turn on the Airport and see if any of your neighbors have a wireless router. I can see three networks from my living room. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

craig r
12-20-2004, 10:40 PM
Thanks for the help. I kind of thought that was going to be the case. I will just get the router. I can easily use a wireless router, correct? Will I have to buy anything for the Mac for this to work or will the airport card work fine?

thanks again,
craig

Phat Mack
12-20-2004, 10:44 PM
If Cox supports multiple IP addresses as part of their residential plan, you can get them both on with just a Hub, but you can get a serviceable wireless router for less than $100. There was a good thread about wireless routers on this forum a few weeks ago.

Big
12-20-2004, 10:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Will I have to buy anything for the Mac for this to work or will the airport card work fine?

[/ QUOTE ]

You shouldn't have to buy anything for the Mac if the Airport card is working. Since it's a G3, I assume it's second hand. You could take it to a Starbucks and see if it's functioning.

craig r
12-20-2004, 11:11 PM
When we go in our bedroom the airport card works. How is that? What service are we getting the web on? I am assuming we are stealing it (which i don't want to do especially since I have internet service).

craig

Phat Mack
12-21-2004, 08:01 AM
What service are we getting the web on?

Probably from one of your neighbors in that direction. Are you able to get on-line? If so, you can ask for a list of servers and see who they are.

This is why, if you get your own router, you'll want to password-encrypt the log on, and install a firewall. If you don't, it will be way too easy to hack your machines.

craig r
12-21-2004, 08:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
This is why, if you get your own router, you'll want to password-encrypt the log on, and install a firewall. If you don't, it will be way too easy to hack your machines.

[/ QUOTE ]

Will the software that comes with the router (most likely buying a linksys) make setting up the internet connection fairly simple?

craig

oddjob
12-21-2004, 02:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Will the software that comes with the router (most likely buying a linksys) make setting up the internet connection fairly simple?

craig

[/ QUOTE ]

i just bought a linksys wireless router. the internet connection was nothing. just plug in the connection, connect an ethernet to your desktop computer, and it should work. i did absolutely nothing. of course, i still need to figure out the password for my wireless router, but i haven't even tried yet.

Randy_Refeld
12-21-2004, 02:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i just bought a linksys wireless router. the internet connection was nothing. just plug in the connection, connect an ethernet to your desktop computer, and it should work. i did absolutely nothing. of course, i still need to figure out the password for my wireless router, but i haven't even tried yet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your password is admin.

RR