PDA

View Full Version : Too passive with QQ?

Twentysack
12-20-2004, 07:41 PM
Cap it? Bet the flop? Raise the river? Please give reasoning behind it

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with Q/images/graemlins/club.gif, Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif. MP3 posts a blind of $1. CO posts a blind of $1.
UTG calls, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 3-bets</font>, MP3 (poster) folds, CO (poster) folds, Button folds, SB folds, UTG calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (12.50 SB) K/images/graemlins/club.gif, 6/images/graemlins/club.gif, 7/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
UTG checks, Hero checks, MP2 checks.

Turn: (6.25 BB) 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 calls, UTG calls.

River: (9.25 BB) 9/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero calls, MP2 folds.

Final Pot: 11.25 BB

NiR
12-20-2004, 07:59 PM
wayyyy to passive. you got no agression from anyone. and plus you had the flush draw. only an ACE would beat you. you should have raised flop. called turn possibly or raise if no aggression. and reraised river.

the_rookie
12-20-2004, 08:05 PM
I would cap preflop. QQ is the third best starting hand.

I would also lead out on the flop because you have second pair and a (second best) flush draw.

The river play is a little tricky but the only hand you're behind here is the lone A /images/graemlins/club.gif. So I'd bet here for value and make a crying call if he 3-bets me.

zuluking
12-20-2004, 08:06 PM
Welcome to the forums. You played this one wrong several ways.

Cap it pre-flop.

Bet and if raised, re-raise the flop.

Turn bet goot.

Raise the river.

For reasoning, I suggest SSHE by Ed Miller. Good luck!

Twentysack
12-20-2004, 08:10 PM
Looking back on it, i think a flop bet is best, but as for the pf cap i just didn't think that it would do anything since it wasnt going to knock anyone out.

CNoyes
12-20-2004, 08:12 PM
Why reraise on the flop? If you were raised on the turn or river would you also reraise?

Any particular sections/pages of SSHE that you would recommend that I look over again so I understand your reasoning?

zuluking
12-20-2004, 08:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Looking back on it, i think a flop bet is best, but as for the pf cap i just didn't think that it would do anything since it wasnt going to knock anyone out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Argh! http://www.twoplustwo.com/books.html#Small Stakes Hold'em

CNoyes
12-20-2004, 08:20 PM
You're not trying to knock anybody out. Your raise on the flop is for value. The more people call your raise, the more money you'll make long term. However, at least two people have to call it for it to be profitable.

Stork
12-20-2004, 08:40 PM
You *need* to read SSH, because you butchered this hand on every street except for the turn. Cap preflop, bet flop, raise river.

Twentysack
12-20-2004, 09:48 PM
Thanks for all of the advice, and yes i plan to get Ed's book ASAP. After hearing what everyone said, capping pf and and betting the flop is the way to go. Last noob question, what are the range of hand that villian coulda been raising with to bet at the end? I figured he wouldn't have bet with anything less than a Jc or Ac, so i called.

Thanks for all of your time.

Shillx
12-20-2004, 09:50 PM
I really don't mind the river call. I think lots of people are saying raise because you didn't get the overcall. If you get 3-bet, you lose.

Brad

zuluking
12-20-2004, 09:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
what are the range of hand that villian coulda been raising with to bet at the end? I figured he wouldn't have bet with anything less than a Jc or Ac, so i called.

Thanks for all of your time.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think Ax clubs can be ruled out. Jc J?

bennyk
12-20-2004, 09:52 PM
Yes. thanks, shill

bk

Twentysack
12-20-2004, 10:34 PM
I know results are moot but i think they illustrate the point that the posters were trying to get across to me, villian had Ac2nonclub, showing me that a cap pf was necessary (i guess i gave them too much credit for the possiblity of having AA or KK). Thanks again for all your time.

ccartman2
12-20-2004, 11:46 PM
Look on the bright side, you now have someone to add to your buddy list. /images/graemlins/smile.gif I think I'm right in saying that this is the type of player you want at your table. If I'm wrong, someone please correct me.

Stork
12-20-2004, 11:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I really don't mind the river call. I think lots of people are saying raise because you didn't get the overcall. If you get 3-bet, you lose.

Brad

[/ QUOTE ]

My thinking on raising the river is that I would expect an Ac to bet this flop most of the time, so when he doesn't, Hero is probably good on the river.
Also, I wouldn't expect you to get an overcall from anybody without a club, and if they did have a club, I don't think one more bet would deter them. Maybe a call is better though, because getting 3-bet would suck.

TomBrooks
02-22-2005, 03:51 AM
[quote=zuluking]Bet and if raised, re-raise the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]
Hi,

If you bet and are raised on the flop, with the raiser representing TP or better, what is the rational for re-raising?

TomBk

KDawgCometh
02-22-2005, 02:32 PM
on the flop you need to bet. you can get away if your checkraised. Raise the river for value as you have the second nut flush