PDA

View Full Version : Call can't be right. Right?

Homer315
12-20-2004, 04:19 PM
A friend of mine related this story to me. $5 SNG at party poker. FIRST hand of tourney, my friend is is middle position and dealt pocket tens. Player immediately to his right raises the blinds (which are 10-15) to $100. My friend makes re-raises to 185. One fold, then a player to his left makes it 260 to go. Original raiser goes all in.

My friend calls.

What's your line? My friend guessed that the original raiser had AK or AQ. He then thought that the player to his left had a range of hands from AA-99 and AKs and AKo.

tigerite
12-20-2004, 04:22 PM
Fold to the original raise

Bigwig
12-20-2004, 04:24 PM
You're friend is wrong, IMO. I can buy a call, or even the reraise (although I personally would not do that), but after the ensuing action, it's an autofold.

I probably just muck this hand. Why get yourself involved in a big raised pot with TT this early? Also with such a large preflop raise (almost 7BB). Just too much for TT this early.

syka16
12-20-2004, 04:32 PM
it depends on your stack. At poker room with 1500 I'll call up to a 125 bet in MP or LP with a PP if I'm sure I'll get at least an other caller.

ColdestCall
12-20-2004, 04:38 PM
fold...with extreme prejudice

Bigwig
12-20-2004, 04:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
it depends on your stack. At poker room with 1500 I'll call up to a 125 bet in MP or LP with a PP if I'm sure I'll get at least an other caller.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course, but that's not the case here. I was referring to this specific example. Calling means committing 12.5% of your stack. Far too high.

stillnotking
12-20-2004, 05:01 PM
I don't understand your friend's logic. If he thought the reraiser had AK, AQ, or 99-AA, why call with TT? He's either a slight favorite or a big underdog to all but one of those hands. And if the original raiser went all-in after that kind of action, I'd tend to put him on the upper part of that range, probably AA, KK, QQ or AKs. This call makes no sense unless your friend had such a great read on the opponents that he thought he had the best hand.