PDA

View Full Version : Top pair vs a maniac

David04
12-20-2004, 03:48 PM
Ultimate Bet No-Limit Hold'em, $.02 BB (8 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Button ($1.38)
SB ($4.68)
BB ($5.73)
UTG ($.21)
UTG+1 ($2.02)
MP1 ($1.66)
Hero ($3.12)
CO ($1.51)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif, K/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, MP1 calls $0.02, Hero calls $0.02, CO folds, Button folds, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: ($0.08) 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, Q/images/graemlins/club.gif, 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $4.66 (All-In)</font>, BB folds, MP1 folds, Hero calls $3.10 (All-In).

Turn: ($7.84) 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 2 all-in)</font>

River: ($7.84) 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 2 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: $7.84

Some background:SB was a maniac, pushing preflop with nothing, sucking out occasionally. Blew through 2 max buy-ins in about 2 minutes, then sucked out and won a big pot, and seemed to calm down a bit. I didn't think he had a set or anything, thought he was just being a maniac again. Good call? How was my preflop play?

mosch
12-20-2004, 04:36 PM
there's eight cents in the pot, and your hand is okayish.

Calling here is fine if his raise really means 'he has two cards'. If your read was wrong, well... sometimes maniacs wake up with a hand. And sometimes maniacs change gears without the other players noticing. If he changed gears on you, then you might need to rethink your player categorizations.

David04
12-20-2004, 10:10 PM
SB shows 24o and MHIG /images/graemlins/smile.gif

TheWorstPlayer
12-20-2004, 10:16 PM
If he had "changed gears" he would be betting proportionally to the pot. Good call here. The funny thing about maniacs like this is that, in my experience, they slow down when they have hands which, of course, defeats any possible benefit that they could gain from being maniacs. Also, playing this limit is kinda silly, exactly for this reason. You seem fine, move up to $25 if your BR can take it. It will be more fun and more profitable, not to mention much better experience.

Edit: the last statement was at David04, not at mosch, of course.

PokerCat69
12-20-2004, 10:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Also, playing this limit is kinda silly, exactly for this reason. You seem fine, move up to $25 if your BR can take it. It will be more fun and more profitable, not to mention much better experience.

[/ QUOTE ]
small stakes NL holdem forum!
.01/.02 NL is similar to mirco, limit holdem.
Good place for someone to start. Or to play at while drinking a beer
/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

TheWorstPlayer
12-20-2004, 10:52 PM
Well, I DID say that he seemed fine, so I was suggesting he should move up. Not saying it was a bad place to start. Come on, though, when people go all-in for $4, don't you think it might be more fun playing something a LITTLE higher?

David04
12-21-2004, 12:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If he had "changed gears" he would be betting proportionally to the pot. Good call here. The funny thing about maniacs like this is that, in my experience, they slow down when they have hands which, of course, defeats any possible benefit that they could gain from being maniacs. Also, playing this limit is kinda silly, exactly for this reason. You seem fine, move up to $25 if your BR can take it. It will be more fun and more profitable, not to mention much better experience.

Edit: the last statement was at David04, not at mosch, of course.

[/ QUOTE ]
$25 is my whole bankroll /images/graemlins/ooo.gif

ugly24
12-21-2004, 02:10 PM
UB has .05/.10 NL that's a step up from the .01/.02 game. If u want to potect ur BR u can buy in short for $5. Its a MUCH better game. Of course, if u need to build a BR, the maniacs on .01/.02 game are fairly easy pickens.

Play Well
The Ugly One!

David04
12-21-2004, 02:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
UB has .05/.10 NL that's a step up from the .01/.02 game. If u want to potect ur BR u can buy in short for $5. Its a MUCH better game. Of course, if u need to build a BR, the maniacs on .01/.02 game are fairly easy pickens.

Play Well
The Ugly One!

[/ QUOTE ]
well my plan has been build my BR to $30 or so, then take a shot at .05/.10. If I go down to $20, I move down to .01/.02 until I get to $30. I think I'll do that until I do well at .05/.10