PDA

View Full Version : 3/6 KK: Is a checkraise bad here?

Haupt_234
12-20-2004, 02:26 PM
MP3 is pretty loose and mildly aggressive. I think most of the table considers me LAG because of some of the previous hands I have shown down (missed FDs).

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with K/images/graemlins/spade.gif, K/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, BB calls.

<font color="blue">Standard. </font>

Flop: (8.33 SB) 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif, Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 5/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 folds, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, BB folds, Hero calls.

<font color="blue">He could be free carding or he has a queen. Given that I raised preflop and hold the K /images/graemlins/spade.gif, I think him holding a queen is much more likely. I am not ruling the possibility of a baby set out yet, but raising the flop so quickly isn't normal of a 3/6 player. </font>

Turn: (6.16 BB) 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

<font color="blue">I checkraise here since it's heads up and I still had MP3 on a queen. I also have the second nut redraw to the flush, if that's worth anything.</font>

River: (12.16 BB) J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 bets</font>, Hero calls.

<font color="blue">Standard. </font>

Final Pot: 14.16 BB

Is this play a proitable one in the long run? My other option (the typical one) was to 3bet the flop while I am ahead and keep it simple. But since a flush draw is unlikely, I chose to maximize value for my hand. Or did I?

Haupt_234

Fat Nicky
12-20-2004, 02:29 PM
I think 3-betting the flop makes this hand easier to play.

Haupt_234
12-20-2004, 02:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think 3-betting the flop makes this hand easier to play.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, but I am wondering if my line of play is maximizing value (especially since it was HU after MP3 raised). This was my thinking, anyway.

And it's never easy the way I play. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Haupt_234

mistrpug
12-20-2004, 02:43 PM
Smells like a flush to me. You should have 3-bet the flop when it's very likely you had the best hand.

I don't like your turn check raise after the flush card hit. I'd much rather bet and then call down if raised.

Perseus
12-20-2004, 03:01 PM
I actually think your line on all streets was fine here, given your reasoning. I think the most likely possibility is for him to either have a flush, or a hand like AsQd or the like.

Jon

MoDOH
12-20-2004, 03:12 PM
When out of position and up against a possible flush draw I threebet this flop and lead the Turn if a non-spade falls.
If a spade does fall I bet again if I donīt hold a spade myself. And If I do hold a spade I go for the check-raise...

So aside from not threebetting the flop I like it...

mike_wzrd
12-20-2004, 03:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
MP3 is pretty loose and mildly aggressive. I think most of the table considers me LAG because of some of the previous hands I have shown down (missed FDs).

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm translating mildly aggressive to pretty passive. A lot of loose passive players won't raise a flush draw for a free card, so their raise would mean they have at least top pair (Q).

So my normal thinking would be if I think there is a possibliity this person is raising a flush draw, then I reraise the flop and bet the turn. If I'm pretty sure he's loose passive and would only bet top pair or better, then I'd consider check raising the turn.

I see this decision as player specific, but interested in what other people would say.