PDA

View Full Version : .5/1 to 1/2 strategy adjustment

k000k
12-20-2004, 02:20 PM
I've been trying to get the hang of 1/2 lately, and I'm convinced that my standard .5/1 game (which is making me >4bb/100) is a long-term loser in 1/2.. What I'm noticing is that a lot of the hands I'm used to limping in .5/1, (like suited aces, small PP's, suited paint cards, etc) are getting raised more often by later players. There's a lot of extra aggression in 1/2 that just isn't in .5/1. I'd never want to pay 2 small bets to see flops with these hands, but I am having to do this way more than I'd like to.

So, I could just fold some of these hands PF, but then my VP$IP will get too low. I'm about 17.5 in .5/1, which is already on the tight side. I'm raising just about exactly 1/2 of the hands I come in with. If I'm folding these limp hands earlier, I'd probably be around 13-14%. I need to make them up by playing other hands just to keep my VP$IP stable.

So if I'm folding these limping hands early, then I MUST add more limping hands later, to keep the 17/8 stats where they are. This means limping later with more marginal hands if it's only 1sb to play. Does this sound correct to you players with .5/1 and 1/2 experience?

Lets assume typical 1/2 party game, 2-3 limpers when the action gets to you in the CO or on the BT. You limp with? Suited kings? ATo? A9o? KJo? KTo? Or do you limp the same hands and call the raises? I know my game needs adjustment, but I'm having a hard time determining which direction to go..

DMBFan23
12-20-2004, 02:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm convinced that my standard .5/1 game (which is making me >4bb/100) is a long-term loser in 1/2.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this assessment. value bets have to tighten up slightly, preflop has to tighten up (or at least in your case, adjust) and semibluffs now occasionally work.

[ QUOTE ]

So if I'm folding these limping hands early, then I MUST add more limping hands later, to keep the 17/8 stats where they are.

[/ QUOTE ]

you can steal the blinds more in LP, as it'll be folded around to you more often. and a hand like A9o which was mucked at .5/1 can be a blind steal at 1/2. I'm 17/9.5 over about 7500 hands, and I was 20/8 at .5/1.

[ QUOTE ]

This means limping later with more marginal hands if it's only 1sb to play. Does this sound correct to you players with .5/1 and 1/2 experience?

[/ QUOTE ]

against some of the looser 1/2 players I play hands like 76s and 87s after they've limped, if that's the kind of thing you're talking about.

[ QUOTE ]

Lets assume typical 1/2 party game, 2-3 limpers when the action gets to you in the CO or on the BT. You limp with? Suited kings? ATo? A9o? KJo? KTo? Or do you limp the same hands and call the raises?

[/ QUOTE ]

I probably raise KJo and ATo on the button if it's only two limpers. I limp with them with more limpers, if I remember correctly. A9o and KTo are blind steal hands for me, that's about it.

the main adjustment is getting used to shorthanded and heads up situations postflop, IMO. there are still enough loose players that you don't need any drastic adjustments, but you do find yourself heasd up more often.

droolie
12-20-2004, 02:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I've been trying to get the hang of 1/2 lately, and I'm convinced that my standard .5/1 game (which is making me >4bb/100) is a long-term loser in 1/2.. What I'm noticing is that a lot of the hands I'm used to limping in .5/1, (like suited aces, small PP's, suited paint cards, etc) are getting raised more often by later players. There's a lot of extra aggression in 1/2 that just isn't in .5/1. I'd never want to pay 2 small bets to see flops with these hands, but I am having to do this way more than I'd like to.

So, I could just fold some of these hands PF, but then my VP$IP will get too low. I'm about 17.5 in .5/1, which is already on the tight side. I'm raising just about exactly 1/2 of the hands I come in with. If I'm folding these limp hands earlier, I'd probably be around 13-14%. I need to make them up by playing other hands just to keep my VP$IP stable.

So if I'm folding these limping hands early, then I MUST add more limping hands later, to keep the 17/8 stats where they are. This means limping later with more marginal hands if it's only 1sb to play. Does this sound correct to you players with .5/1 and 1/2 experience?

Lets assume typical 1/2 party game, 2-3 limpers when the action gets to you in the CO or on the BT. You limp with? Suited kings? ATo? A9o? KJo? KTo? Or do you limp the same hands and call the raises? I know my game needs adjustment, but I'm having a hard time determining which direction to go..

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't go crazy changing your game too much pf. From your first post you clearly understand what you're doing.

There are plenty of 1/2 tables where your .50/1 calling standards are just fine. For those tables that are especially tight, tighten up in EP but then steal the blinds with marginal calls. If that doesn't work find a different table or play at a better time of day.

Post flop play in shorthanded pots is the real adjustment that takes practice and will make you a winner once you get it right. Hang in there and use pokertracker and player view to help with your table selection.

Octopus
12-20-2004, 02:57 PM
Don't worry too much. Any hands you are missing are near 0EV anyway. If your opponents were paying attention, then being that tight would hurt you (they could read you better), but they aren't.

I doubt that it is folding the early limping hands which are depressing your VP$IP that much (though they certainly contribute). A bigger effect is that it will be raised in front of you more often, meaning that you are folding more often in late position. Take a look at the position stats in PT to see if this is right.

Also remember that your pre-flop play should be informed by how aggressive (and loose) your opponents are post-flop.

As for your specific questions: With 2-3 random limpers, I'll play A2s, K8s, Q9s, J9s, 98s, ATo, KTo, QJo, and 22. (With some limpers, I'll play even more hands. With some fewer.) If the blinds were at all tight, I would raise with ATo and KJo, or better. ATs, KJs and TT are worth a raise even if they are sure to call.

Finally, unless you have a lot bigger pre-flop problems than we are talking about here (like you cold-call raises with KTo), then your pre-flop mistakes are not hurting you much. If you actually are a 4BB/100 winner at .5/1, then I seriously doubt you are losing at 1/2. (Keep in mind that 100,000 hands is barely enough to nail these numbers down even to within 1BB/100, and that assumes that you are not getting better over time.)

k000k
12-20-2004, 04:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I doubt that it is folding the early limping hands which are depressing your VP$IP that much (though they certainly contribute). A bigger effect is that it will be raised in front of you more often, meaning that you are folding more often in late position. Take a look at the position stats in PT to see if this is right.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes you are right, I am now folding AJ, 99, etc. more often, due to it coming 2+ to me PF. A lot of the nice multiway hands get folded too, since it never gets that 'multi'.

lu_hawk
12-20-2004, 07:06 PM
A strategy that really makes 4 bb/100 over the long term(not just running good) at .5/1 is a winner at 1/2. You're reading too much into win rates.