PDA

View Full Version : rush limbaugh on snl

slickpoppa
12-20-2004, 02:04 PM
I think this is funny cause rush is a jackass and a hypocrite:
rush on snl (http://www.drudgereport.com/snl.htm)

http://www.drudgereport.com/snl.jpg

Abednego
12-20-2004, 02:11 PM
Yeah being addicted to drugs that taken for recreational purposes isn't hypocritical but being addicted to pain medication when one suffers from pain is.

cardcounter0
12-20-2004, 02:13 PM
claiming you are addicted to drugs because of "pain" when you spend every other day out on a golf course, now that is funny.

cardcounter0
12-20-2004, 02:17 PM
Even funnier is The Drudge Report saying there was backstage "outrage" over the skit. I mean, nobody knew this was going to air? They were "outraged"? Isn't NBC part of the Left-Wing Media Conspiracy? Why would an executive be "outraged"?

He better watch out, the Elite Northeasten Liberal Establishment That Controls All Media might fire him.

BobH42
12-20-2004, 02:17 PM
Labelling Rush as a jackass is completely understandable...I like Rush Limbaugh and I wouldn't argue with that assessment /images/graemlins/smile.gif

But labelling him as a hypocrite due to problems he's had with prescription drugs? I listen to his show and I've never heard him rail against people that have an addiction to prescription drugs. I don't see how he's been a hypocrite in this situation. In actuality, he's been very humble about it and about his own shortcomings as a human being.

slickpoppa
12-20-2004, 02:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Labelling Rush as a jackass is completely understandable...I like Rush Limbaugh and I wouldn't argue with that assessment /images/graemlins/smile.gif

But labelling him as a hypocrite due to problems he's had with prescription drugs? I listen to his show and I've never heard him rail against people that have an addiction to prescription drugs. I don't see how he's been a hypocrite in this situation. In actuality, he's been very humble about it and about his own shortcomings as a human being.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, he has been quite humble after the public found out about his problem. But, here is an example of what he used to say:
"What this says to me is that too many whites are getting away with drug use. Too many whites are getting away with drug sales. Too many whites are getting away with trafficking in this stuff. The answer to this disparity is not to start letting people out of jail because we're not putting others in jail who are breaking the law. The answer is to go out and find the ones who are getting away with it, convict them and send them up the river, too."
-- Rush Limbaugh show, Oct. 5, 1995

So why isn't Rush turning himself in for obtaining prescription drugs ilegally?

jakethebake
12-20-2004, 02:26 PM
You can put me down on record as agreeing he's a jackass. He may or may not be a hypocrite. But you do realize that whether or not he's a hypocrite has no impact on the validity of what he has to say?

BobH42
12-20-2004, 02:28 PM
There's a big difference between the 'drug problem' he refers to in that quote and people that are addicted to prescription drugs. Again, I don't recall ever hearing him weigh in on the prescription drug addiction issue one way or the other.

Hack
12-20-2004, 02:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You can put me down on record as agreeing he's a jackass. He may or may not be a hypocrite. But you do realize that whether or not he's a hypocrite has no impact on the validity of what he has to say?

[/ QUOTE ]

That's ridiculous. Of course him being a hypocrite has a HUGE impact on what he says. How can he be seen as credible if he was high on the air for the past 7-8 years, AND still supports harsh drug sentences for people who use marijuana and other drugs.

Rush committed a felony, but since he is rich and white host he will get off scot free. Sick country we have.

Not that I want him to go to jail. I oppose drug laws on principle. But I think Rush Limbaugh could learn a lot from a few years in prison.

jakethebake
12-20-2004, 03:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
That's ridiculous. Of course him being a hypocrite has a HUGE impact on what he says. How can he be seen as credible if he was high on the air for the past 7-8 years, AND still supports harsh drug sentences for people who use marijuana and other drugs.

[/ QUOTE ]
I didn't say anything about his credibility. I said validity. Is stealing still wrong if a thief says it's wrong? Yes. Just because he's a hypocrite to say it, doesn't make it invalid. I'm a libertarian and all for legalization fo drugs. I agree with Rush on some issues, and disagree with him on others. But I think this has been blown out of proportion.

slickpoppa
12-20-2004, 03:14 PM
Okay, so he hasn't technically weighed in on the prescription drug issue. So maybe what Rush really meant was that only people who break the law by taking drugs such as marijuana and cocaine should be strictly punished and those who obtain oxycontin illegally should not. But what substance do you think that those prescription drugs are made from? Chemically, Oxycontin and other opiate based prescription drugs are very similar to heroin and potentially as addictive. Just because something is a prescrpition drug does not mean that it is necessarily any less dangerous than drugs that are labelled as illegal.

So if Rush really meant to say that illegal marijuanan use is more dangerous and should be punished more heavily than illegal oxycontin use, he is an idiot. But even if he does really believe that illegal drugs are inherently more dangerous than prescription drugs, he is still a hypocrite because obtaining either illegally is equally illegal. So he should be sent to jail if he believes what he says.

zaxx19
12-21-2004, 12:16 AM
He is a jackass...he is obnoxious,he is a hypocrite. Of course so is Mike Moore, Al Franken, and Jesse Jackson...which one of this scoundrels is a ordained Pretestant minister??? I think my point is made.

college_boy
12-22-2004, 03:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
He is a jackass...he is obnoxious,he is a hypocrite. Of course so is Mike Moore, Al Franken, and Jesse Jackson...which one of this scoundrels is a ordained Pretestant minister??? I think my point is made.

[/ QUOTE ]

How is Al Franken a hypocrite?

jakethebake
12-22-2004, 10:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Good question. We know he's an obnoxious jackass, but how is he a hypocrite? Anyone?

How is Al Franken a hypocrite?

[/ QUOTE ]

nicky g
12-22-2004, 10:14 AM
"Good question. We know he's an obnoxious jackass, but how is he a hypocrite? Anyone?"

At a guess: he advocates the legalisation of drugs and yet has hyprocritically not once been caught illegally acquiring presecrition drugs?

EarlCat
12-22-2004, 01:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Even funnier is The Drudge Report saying there was backstage "outrage" over the skit. I mean, nobody knew this was going to air? They were "outraged"? Isn't NBC part of the Left-Wing Media Conspiracy? Why would an executive be "outraged"?

[/ QUOTE ]

It has nothing to do with left or right. SNL has had more than its fair share of drug overdoses, and for it to feature a skit making fun of someone's drug problem is in especially poor taste.

EarlCat
12-22-2004, 01:12 PM
Rush isn't the hyporcite here. He hasn't changed his stance on drug legalization. If you actually listened to the how, you'd know that after he returned from rehab he said just because he had a drug problem doesn't make what he has said about drugs in the past any less true. Yes he was addicted to painkillers. He also maintains that he did not commit any crimes in obtaining them (and so far they haven't found anything to charge him with).

The hypocrites here are those who call for legalizing drugs out of one side of their mouth and then call for jail time for Limbaugh out of the other.

cardcounter0
12-22-2004, 01:44 PM
Yes, but all those were for non-prescription drug problems.
/images/graemlins/grin.gif

EarlCat
12-22-2004, 03:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Yes, but all those were for non-prescription drug problems.
/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

And what difference does that make, except that prescription drug problems are usually stumbled upon innocently and at the (mis)direction of a physician?

cardcounter0
12-22-2004, 05:39 PM
Well, to a Rush supporter it makes a big difference.

See, Rush isn't a hypocrite for railing against drug users and saying they should all be jailed, because he was talking about illegal drugs, not prescription drugs.

The fact that Rush was caught with massive amounts of prescription drugs, or was trying to get his housekeeper to obtain them illegally for him, is besides the point:

Illegal drugs bad -- go to jail.
Prescription drugs good -- go to a brief stint in rehab and claim you are cured.

Drink some kool-aid, it will all become clear to you.

EarlCat
12-22-2004, 06:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Illegal drugs bad -- go to jail.
Prescription drugs good -- go to a brief stint in rehab and claim you are cured.

Drink some kool-aid, it will all become clear to you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Umm... when did I ever say illegal drug users should go to jail? Rush might have, but I sure didn't.

Rush maintains his innocence and still isn't accused of a crime. Regardless of the fact that his body became dependent on painkillers (as most bodies do when given addictive substances), he has never wavered from his stance that a drug abuser should be punished if he breaks the law. Please show me the hypocrisy.

As for your childish attack on me as one of Rush's dim-witted kool-aid drinkers, you're mistaken. Unlike Rush, I actually support legalizing the recreational use of drugs--ALL drugs, prescription or otherwise. I believe we own our own bodies and the government has no right to say what we can and can't put in them.