PDA

View Full Version : Early look

10-01-2001, 12:53 AM
I just looked at some opening numbers for next week and a few numbers strike me as being a bit off.

These are the favorites that seemed to have much lower lines than I was expecting:

Virginia Tech -15.5 over West Virginia

Houston -2 over Army

Michigan -9.5 over Penn St

Here are some dogs getting surprisingly high numbers:

Wash St -10.5 over Oregon St

Steelers -6.5 over Bengals

And whose idea was it to play this game:

Miami -51 over Troy State????

10-01-2001, 05:01 PM
In the NFL, I thought the Bengals would get 5 from Pitt, so that's not that out of line. Numbers I think are off:

Giants -14 over Skins - I thought 10, 10.5 tops;

Falcons -3.5 over the Bears - I thought 6 would be the number

and the Chargers favored by only 3 vs Cleveland is tempting, as I thought 6 would be the number.

Strictly 'capping, Lions +11.5 very tempting.

In NCAA, the 2 lines I think are most off are S Fla +14 (thought 7 would be correct) and SMU +2.5 from Hawaii (wrong team favored IMO). Agree with you on Oregon State - thought line would be 3 at most.

Strictly 'capping, LSU +13.5 very tempting.

10-01-2001, 05:47 PM
It was the Lions who finally defeated St. Louis in 1999 when it looked like they were going to steamroll to 16-0.

It's a different team, with a different coaching staff, but it's something to think about.

I'm probably going to pass on this bet on either side.

natedogg

10-01-2001, 08:58 PM

10-01-2001, 09:22 PM
Cougars look decent, its more that Army is not good. I do like Tech though, I think they are focused now as they had the 3 game preseason dance and finally face a team that they actually have to pay attention to plus being on the road might focus them a bit better since they have had easy romps at home so far. West Virginia isn't a terribly tough place to play anymore so I actually would say this might be the best bet of the games I mentioned.

As for the Redskins, they are such a mess that I would just keep betting against them until they finally stand up for themselves. I was on them this weekend thinking home cooking and an easier opponent would help. Getting rid of Jessy George should have helped to, but to no avail. The high priced veterans came there with the idea of winning titled, they have to be extremely frustrated one year later playing at this level. They could lose 6 or 7 games ATS until they hit bottom. At least Dallas has players that haven't given up, they expected to be poor. This Redskin team could not have expected life to be this tough.

10-02-2001, 12:43 AM
I live in Houston to Rounder. Do you play poker here?

Craig

10-08-2001, 05:37 PM
Virginia Tech -15.5 over West Virginia W

Houston -2 over Army L

Miami -51 over Troy State???? W

Keep up the good work WB I love your early looks idea!!!

Paul