PDA

View Full Version : When the loose-passives show agression.

jedi
12-20-2004, 01:05 PM
Okay, I SHOULD know the answer to this, but I want a sanity check from you guys.

After reading SSH, my game has improved greatly, not in terms of winning pots necessarily, but in terms of the number of bets I win when I do win those pots. Occasionally, I'll be betting and raising for someone else who happens to hit their card on the river, but them's the breaks.

The basic question I have is this: When the calling station raises or leads in to you (presumably having raised pre-flop with a good hand), what are you to think? For example, I raise with AK in MP and get a few callers, including the calling station in early position (who limped in before me). The flop comes AJ4 rainbow. He leads into me. I raise. He calls, along with a few others. The turn is a 6 and the calling station leads into me again.

Now, he's a calling station, so he could have anything, including any Ace. However, he's a calling station so he would normally only check-call. Does this show of strength indicate that he's got 2 pair or better? I'm not going to fold here, but I think this is a call-down spot given my read.

The other possiblity is if I get check-raised on the turn by the calling station. Normally a non-tricky player, this check raise screams a solid hand which can beat an overpair or TPTK. I think I've been leaking chips when I've re-raised on the turn while "only" holding 1 pair.

Thoughts?

Rudbaeck
12-20-2004, 01:14 PM
Depends on his exact aggression, if he's a 1.5 Agg fish you might have him beat (but a split or loss is fairly likely still), if he is a 0.2 Agg fish your tptk is no goot here.