PDA

View Full Version : Party 5/10 SH, KQo in BB against SB steal

marand
12-20-2004, 12:25 PM
Read: SB is loose and normally aggressive. (60/13 VPIP/PFR)

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is BB with K/images/graemlins/spade.gif, Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB caps</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (8 SB) 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, J/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (5 BB) 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (7 BB) 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 8 BB

This hand bugged me... but I cannot find anything wrong with it. Should I have played it differently?

Preflop: Is 3-betting too aggressive here or is it standard?

Flop: I should obviously not fold, getting 9-1 with a gutshot and two overcards. But is it better to try for a freecard with a raise?
(I thought this would be a waste of money since he capped preflop.)

Turn: Also pick up a flushdraw, he could have the As, but my flush outs are most likely clean. So again I cannot fold, but what about a semi-bluff raise?
I felt it would be wasting too much money since my opponent is loose.

River: Guess I just have to fold here, the chance that he is bluffing with a worse hand must be less than 10%.

Guy McSucker
12-20-2004, 12:38 PM
I think I agree with your play.

The preflop 3-bet is standard, although this kind of thing is getting me into trouble lately, but anyway I am sure most will agree with that.

When he caps, you can deduce that he either has a strong hand, or he's willing to shovel a lot of chips in the pot with whatever he's holding. Which brings me to the flop play.

This is a big flop for you: lots of outs to top pair or better. In a multiway pot I would be raising here for sure. However, here I am not sure I like a flop raise. Because of the observations above, it looks like there's a very good chance you'll get 3-bet, which would be nasty, because you'll probably want to fold on the river if you miss everything, so there's no "I may have the best hand" equity here.

The rest is routine. I doubt you can make him fold. I doubt he has less than an ace.

Guy.

Victor
12-20-2004, 12:41 PM
I just call preflop.

Raise the turn to try to get him to fold a naked ace.