PDA

View Full Version : "Sleep" button on Keyboard

El Barto
12-20-2004, 09:52 AM
My keyboard has a sleep button (allows you to keep computer on while shutting down all desktop/program activity). I use IE and have a Microsoft keyboard. I have a habit of accidentally hitting this button and zapping whatever I am doing. Sometimes I can restore it by moving the mouse, other times it does not respond to any attempt of mine to restore things to normal and I am reduced to rebooting.

Is there a way to disable this key?
This key is not listed as a modifiable key as others are. /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Is there a sure way to restore normal function promptly?
Why does it freeze in this mode sometimes, when I should be able to quickly restore my PC to activity?

Thanks for your help.

LowDown22
12-20-2004, 05:08 PM
I also have that key, but mine is called 'suspend.' But I think it's the same.

First off, if I suspend the PC then simply hitting the sleep/suspend key again puts the PC back into normal running mode.

I think you have to enable the keyboard device to get you out of standby mode. I believe you go to (on XP) Control Panel -> keyboard -> Hardware tab. Click properties button, go to Power Management tab and then there are some options for you. Click the option to 'Allow this device to bring you out of standy.'

To turn it off, go to control panel -> Power options -> Advanced tab. There will be an option to select 'When I press the sleep button on my computer.' Set it to 'do nothing' to disable the key entirely.

Freakin
12-20-2004, 07:19 PM
I hates it.... vile key.... You think they'd put shitty ass buttons like that on the underside of the keyboard or something. Not RIGHT NEXT to my escape key. It kinda sucks to hit it while 4-tabling....

Freakin