PDA

View Full Version : I'm down 50 buy-ins at 30+3. Lessons learned...

AA suited
12-20-2004, 09:34 AM
Lost over $1500 in 1 week. Bad beats, no cards, losing coin flips and 60/40 (either side), and getting called/raised on steals.

Lessons learned:
1) If you lost 8+ buy-ins in 1 day, quit. You'll be on tilt and/or playing scared. (ie: playing so tight to make ITM that you'll get your blinds stolen and blinded out. Or so LAGgy that you won't even make top 5.)

2) Do not play the next day. Wait a few days to clear your head.

3) Do not think it's just your acct, and switch to another Skin. You'll feel even worst when you lose another 8 straight. And most likely you will lose because you're on tilt/playing scared.

Once you're on a losing streak, it's not the acct, or the cards, or the other players that keep that streak going. It's you because the losing streak HAS affected the way you play!

After you've taken some time off and come back, play at a lower level to get you confidence back. (as well to rebuild your bankroll.)

Other tips for a losing streak?

ericlambi
12-20-2004, 04:58 PM
I don't have much in the way of advice, just sympathy. I lost $1k last week, which was almost 1/2 my bankroll. I think it was bad luck at first, which snowballed into bad play. Same stuff though, losing more than my fair share of 60/40 all-in advantages, not getting hands and being blinded out, and a few bad suckouts to boot.

I just couldn't stop the bleeding, didn't matter what I did. Saturday night at 3AM (well, I guess that's Sunday morning). I cashed out all of the remaining funds in all of my poker accounts. I'm going to take a 2-4 week break and make sure I read a lot of poker groups and poker books. Hopefully improving my game with no risk.

Oh yeah, and I swear to God I will spend more than 10 seconds trying to figure out how to work PokerTracker so I can find out why I suck.

codewarrior
12-20-2004, 05:14 PM
The best advice I can give to the OP and the OR is, when you start to play again, and start to win again - think about *why* you are winning. Then think about what you are doing differently than when you are losing. Being in the depths of a slump shouldn't be the only time you think about your game. This advice has been given before, but bore repeating.

captZEEbo1
12-20-2004, 10:57 PM
I don't really have any advice for you, because I've never had a losing session. I wish! /images/graemlins/wink.gif. Yeah, once you start losing too much in one session, you REALLY have to stop for the day, as it is probably NOT luck, but you are probably playing off your game (whether you lose on a suckout or not, doesn't matter, maybe you shouldn't have been in the pot in the first place, etc).