PDA

View Full Version : 55 in mp2 flops a set...played out kind of weird.

sin808
12-20-2004, 09:06 AM
Was playing HU on another table so my attention to this table wasn't what it should have been. Mostly your typical party crowd 30-40%VP$IP, a bit overly aggressive, nothing else specific on anyone in the hand.

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (7 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 5/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG calls, MP1 calls, Hero calls, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, Button calls, SB calls, BB folds, UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 3-bets</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#CC3333">CO caps</font>, Button calls, SB folds, UTG calls, MP1 calls $0.37 (All-In), Hero calls.

didn't feel right calling 2 cold when it was back to me, but with everyone pretty much coming along and a couple of the players getting close to being all in it looked good. Getting something like 13:2 I think is what I counted on the fly, seemed close enough.

Flop: (22.74 SB) T/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(5 players, 1 all-in)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO calls, Button calls, UTG calls.

yay for the set. seemed like everyone else kind of shut down though. Expected more action here.

Turn: (13.37 BB) 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(5 players, 1 all-in)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO folds, Button folds, UTG calls.

River: (15.37 BB) 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players, 1 all-in)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets $0.5 (All-In)</font>, Hero calls.

Not much I could do here but call the 1sb.

Final Pot: 16.37 BB

This isn't a terribly interesting hand really, but something kind of bugged me about it so I thought I'd throw it out there and see what everyone else thought.

sy_or_bust
12-20-2004, 09:11 AM
I fold PF. You can't be sure that the field is capable of calling 2 bets behind you, and even if they do I doubt you're +EV considering set odds and the likelihood of the pot-committed field playing this hand to deep streets.

sin808
12-20-2004, 09:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I fold PF. You can't be sure that the field is capable of calling 2 bets behind you, and even if they do I doubt you're +EV considering set odds

[/ QUOTE ]

Calling 2 was a little thin, but the pots laying me 6.5:1, my odds of flopping a set are 7.5:1.

[ QUOTE ]
and the likelihood of the pot-committed field playing this hand to deep streets.

[/ QUOTE ]

unless I'm misunderstanding you, this would be more of a reason for me to call. I'd be getting good implied odds if I make my set. If I don't I can get away from it easily enough. Clarify that if you would be so kind.

stlip
12-20-2004, 09:33 AM
I'm fine with the play because the 3-bet came from a player who was virtually all in, and who had not raised when initially given the chance, I think nearly everyone properly discounted that this not a slow play of a monster hand. Button and SB have already cold called 2 bets once before in this round so even if CO caps we should expect everyone to play. As it turns out SB almost inexplicably folds, but that still leaves enough players and a more than big enough pot to justify seeing the flop for a possible set.

chief444
12-20-2004, 10:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
unless I'm misunderstanding you, this would be more of a reason for me to call. I'd be getting good implied odds if I make my set. If I don't I can get away from it easily enough. Clarify that if you would be so kind.

[/ QUOTE ]
This normally is more reason to call, yes. But by the same logic two opponents being nearly all-in is more reason to fold. I don't mind the call too much though.

Smasharoo
12-20-2004, 10:12 AM
The PF call is -EV. For it to be profitable you have to expect to profit 16BB when you hit a set. Not check-raising the flop is probably a bigger error though. The odds of someone not betting this flop are miniscule.

jskills
12-20-2004, 11:35 AM
What bothered you about the hand was likely the calling of the preflop 3 bet. It's definitely questionable. However, I must admit to doing it more often than I should after calling in early or middle position with a small pocket pair.

The way you played afterwards was perfect from then on. It's not hard to keep betting ;-) Sorry if he showed down the QJ, but I couldn't imagine someone holding that hand with all the PF action. Since you mention the table was overly aggressive, maybe he showed pocket 8's?

I just get the feeling that this hand is being posted because it resulted in loss? Sorry if I'm wrong there.

meep_42
12-20-2004, 12:11 PM
Fold to the PF 3-bet (as has been said). Your immediate odds ~6.5:1 just about warrant a call -- but when you take into account the times that it will be capped behind you and bring your odds to about 5.5:1 -- alongside the fact that 2 of 4 opponents are short-stacked or all-in, which kills a bit of your implied odds, this is an easy fold for me.

On the flop you need to check-raise the PF capper, build the pot. Rest is standard.

-d

Aaron W.
12-20-2004, 12:43 PM
I'm not sure why everybody is so unhappy with the preflop call. It looks like it will be 4-live-handed, but you're practically guaranteed that it will be 4-handed on the turn because the pot is so big. You also have perfect relative position on the preflop capper to trap the whole field for two (you didn't use it, but you had it). Plus there's dead money in the pot from the first call. It looks like a good call to me (not fantastic, but good).

About UTG being nearly all-in, it's not as bad as it seems. you can count all of his money as in preflop (unless he's a real tight player and is willing to give up on the large pot with a mere 2 BB left), which boosts your immediate odds to flop the set. I consider it just unlucky that he was the only one who had a piece of this flop and that the flop came so raggedy.

sin808
12-21-2004, 04:51 AM
I didn't take too much issue with the pf call. I think the thing that bothered me was my flop play. I should have c/r there to trap the field, but I didn't.

UTG had J6s for the flush on the turn.