PDA

View Full Version : 88 from MP2 with 1 limper, raise?

spydog
12-20-2004, 09:03 AM
MP1 is LAG. Everyone behind me has VPIP <40.

Do you raise this PF? With 2 limpers, I limp. But 1 loose limper...I think I like this raise.

Flop. Fold or raise? I don't really give MP1's limp reraise PF much merit. Would you?

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Button calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 3-bets</font>, Hero calls, Button calls, BB calls.

Flop: (12.33 SB) 3/images/graemlins/club.gif, Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>.....

Nick C
12-20-2004, 03:53 PM
I think the preflop raise is fine. Unfortunately, it didn't work out as well as you could've hoped for.

On the flop, I think I'd give up. I don't like the overcards (especially the queen), I'm not crazy about the hearts (in part because catching the 8 /images/graemlins/heart.gif may simply give me a draw against someone's flush), and the straight potential on the board is some concern to me as well. There's a good chance I'm behind, and I don't think I can push out hands like KJ or KT with my flop raise, so I may go on to lose even if I am ahead.

I don't know. My flop raise might scare out a hand like TT (though I'm not counting on that), but that won't do me much good if I'm behind to someone else who won't fold.

I'd like to isolate the LAG if I can (though I'm not sure I'm ahead of him), but BB and Button don't seem to be cooperating, so I think I'd wait for a better spot.

kevyk
12-20-2004, 04:17 PM
I don't like the raise preflop too much. You're in a tough spot on the flop: I can't see any situation where you're way ahead here, and you could be way behind.

I find that the best way to deal with a LAG is by playing as many multiway pots with him as possible. Heads-up, his LAG tendencies are a bonus, not a drawback. I limp here preflop, trying to entice as many people into this pot as I possibly can. Then I play for set value, confident that I'll destroy the LAG and win a huge pot when I hit. When I miss, I can fold without thinking I just handed the LAG a giftwrapped present.

I think I start to use the isolation raise with TT. There are just not nearly as many situations where the board shows two overcards to my pair.

commadore
12-20-2004, 04:56 PM
I would call. It make the hand much easier to play in this case. When you miss the set on the flop you can discard. This guy may be a LAG, but you've only got 3rd pair on the flop.