PDA

View Full Version : Underplayed? Overplayed? Wombling free?

Guy McSucker
12-20-2004, 08:58 AM
Don't ask me why I'm still playing the $5/10 6-max. Anyway, here's a hand from today which I am not sure if I played too meekly, missing value, or too stubbornly, or just right. What do you think?

I don't know the opponent at all: this is my first lap of the table and I haven't seen him involved in any interesting pots yet.

So is it:

a) Oh my god you are a calling station. Please come to my games where I will ruthlessly value bet you

b) You timid sucker, you. Wow, I would love you in my games because you won't charge me when you have a good hand but I will be able to charge you when I do.

c) That looks about right.

Many thanks,

Guy.

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Sucker MC is Button with K/images/graemlins/heart.gif, Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Sucker MC raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (4.40 SB) 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif, Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Sucker MC bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Sucker MC 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB caps</font>, Sucker MC calls.

Turn: (6.20 BB) 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Sucker MC calls.

River: (8.20 BB) J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Sucker MC calls.

Final Pot: 10.20 BB

marand
12-20-2004, 10:01 AM
This hand would obviously be a lot easier with a read.
Against an unknown I would probably play it the same so I guess I vote "c".

Another option might be to just call his raise on the flop and then raise the turn.
Guess it depends on how aggressive this player is... again not easy without a read /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Zele
12-20-2004, 10:03 AM
Against an unknown PP 5/10 player, I think that's fine. I assume you're going to get 3-bet on the turn/river if and only if you're beat, so assuming you'll call you're basically laying 2:1.

Obviously a read in either direction on the passive/aggressive scale could tip the decision. And if it would put him all-in I'd consider a river raise to be for (thin) value.

krishanleong
12-20-2004, 10:35 AM
Looks good to me.
Krishan

wheelz
12-20-2004, 12:12 PM
I'm gonna say C.

naphand
12-20-2004, 01:51 PM
Do even a small minority of forum members even know what a "Womble" is? Have they ever seen the "Clangers" for that matter?

Justin A
12-20-2004, 02:48 PM
Can anyone find a fold on the river here? I call it down, but it does seem close to me since there are basically no draws he could be betting up the flop with.

Justin A

Guy McSucker
12-20-2004, 03:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Can anyone find a fold on the river here?

[/ QUOTE ]

I was not a big fan of the jack on the river. It seemed to me that if I'd been in front at any stage, there was a good chance I wasn't any longer since the J was a likely worse-than-a-K kicker.

He shows Q8 and MHIG as veteran posters say.

This is perhaps one of the reasons you end up with large swings at 6-max: hands like this mean you need to call down against pretty heavy action which would convince you you're losing in many full games. You're then committing a lot of bets to relatively small pots (because it's heads up the whole way) which can go either way.

I was delighted to have got a read on this player, whereupon he left the table.

Guy.

P.S. nap: remember-member-member what a womble-womble-womble you are.

PokerNoob
12-20-2004, 04:56 PM
I think that looks about right. It is after all a blind battle. I certainly feel foolish when a good opponent catches me overplaying my top pair nice kicker when he's hit something bizzare in a headsup battle. Guy, what would you have done if he had called your flop 3-bet and checkraised the turn? You are in big trouble against 65 and A5, and could very well be looking at two pair. But there are some that could do this with a worse Q.