PDA

View Full Version : Why fundamentalists are bad.

ACPlayer
12-20-2004, 06:17 AM
Iranian Execution (http://news.independent.co.uk/world/middle_east/story.jsp?story=592910)

We must fight the use of the Death Penalty as a means of punishment.

zaxx19
12-20-2004, 06:30 AM
But surely dead Iranians is a good thing right AC....

Oh I mixed up Iran for Israel my bad....resume lying.

Broken Glass Can
12-20-2004, 07:29 AM
This story has nothing to do with the death penalty. It is about having and enforcing bad laws.

I suppose if they sentenced her to 10 years of house arrest, you would proclaim: "We must fight the use of House Arrest as a means of punishment."

Your fundamentalist opposition to the death penalty concerns me, don't you know fundamentalism is bad?

Vince Young
12-20-2004, 08:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
This story has nothing to do with the death penalty.

[/ QUOTE ]
?

jakethebake
12-20-2004, 11:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Iranian Execution (http://news.independent.co.uk/world/middle_east/story.jsp?story=592910)

We must fight the use of the Death Penalty as a means of punishment.

[/ QUOTE ]
Does anyone else find this post incredibly stupid? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

ACPlayer
12-20-2004, 11:58 AM
Does anyone else find this post incredibly stupid?

It is.

But it shows that from a pattern of stories of conduct you can draw pretty much any conclusion that you want to. An anti-Islam person would use a collection of such stories to paint Islam in a bad light, a death penalty opponent would have a collection of these stories to paint death penalty in a bad light and so on...

The only way to understand human behaviour is to study the history and understand human nature and emotions, in the context of that society, and to ignore the sensational stories.

whiskeytown
12-20-2004, 12:07 PM
I initially posted this on the Islam is incompatible with Democracy thread....but it applies here and I was late into that discussion, so I reprint here

------------------------------------------------------------

any religious faith that becomes the basis for government, esp. a fundamentalist govt. (and that includes Christianity) will always forsake the rights of individuals and civil rights for enforced spirituality. Even conservative Christian circles are guilty of this...Women are often regarded as a lower class of person who should be subserviant to men. -

This is as true of Christianity as it is for Islam, though in all fairness, Christianity hasn't exhibited it's terrorist urges as much since the Crusades and the Inquisition. (and yes, I would consider those acts of religious motivation, as well as the monetary one)

In fact, some of our founding fathers was very blunt on the subject...

[ QUOTE ]
"... I am not afraid of priests. They have tried upon me all their various batteries of pious whining, hypocritical canting, lying and slandering. I have contemplated their order from the Magi of the East to the Saints of the West and I have found no difference of character, but of more or less caution, in proportion to their information or ignorance on whom their interested duperies were to be played off. Their sway in New England is indeed formidable. No mind beyond mediocrity dares there to develop itself." -Thomas Jefferson

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
What influence, in fact, have ecclesiastical establishments had on society? In some instances they have been seen to erect a spiritual tyranny on the ruins of the civil authority; on many instances they have been seen upholding the thrones of political tyranny; in no instance have they been the guardians of the liberties of the people. Rulers who wish to subvert the public liberty may have found an established clergy convenient auxiliaries. A just government, instituted to secure and perpetuate it, needs them not." -James Madison

[/ QUOTE ]

so no, it doesn't surprise me. Christianity in it's most conservative fundmentalist form runs contrary to the civil rights and liberties we enjoy in this country...(don't forget, the early church endorsed slavery as well - just cause we got enlightened in the last 150 yrs doesn't erase that.)

RB

ThaSaltCracka
12-20-2004, 12:46 PM
well all petty bickering aside, this is just another disturbing story from a radical islamic country.

I love how the other Arab countries turn a blind eye to this stuff, but immediatly dennounce Israel for its "incursions" or whatever you want to call them.

What a disgusting story, much like the one IIRC MMMMMM posted about a year ago, about the other girl that was raped and was being executed.

ACPlayer
12-20-2004, 12:59 PM
Very true. Most middle east societies, some Asian and many African countries have practices we find abhorrent. Unfortunately there are also plenty of things we do that I find abhorrent.

But we are fed a steady diet of these sensational stories and quickly form our opinions based on these. Writings of people like Ms Ebadi (see the other post I made at the same time) get lost -- either in the bureaucracy or in the noise generated by the sensational.

ThaSaltCracka
12-20-2004, 01:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Unfortunately there are also plenty of things we do that I find abhorrent.

[/ QUOTE ] true, and this is entirely a matter of opinion.

One thing which stood out to me about that article, was that Iran allows the execution of women as young as nine /images/graemlins/shocked.gif, are you kidding me???? That blows me away that a country would execute a child.

arabie
12-20-2004, 02:31 PM
Is this Israel's fault?

I just don't want to be caught off guard when someone spurts it out.

Anyways, i've read hundreds of stories like this coming out of Iran. Canada had a taste of Iran's rath this year when they sent a journalist over there who was captured and tortured to death while awaiting trial. The iranian government wouldn't even return the body and aquitted the guard charged with her death. The canadian journalist was charged for reporting on an anti-islamic-rule rally.

These people think the western way of respecting life is to not recognize the sacrifice death brings to life. This is common to Arab and religious Islamic cultures. They are happy to hang their kids, send their kids to get blown up, prostitute their children, and they still manage to get the liberals to rise in their defense... something simply amazing that i'll never understand! Does Noam Chomsky not have enough time to address these types of issues? Actually, i'm sure his time is better spent pointing out all of Israel's and America's atrocities.

lastchance
12-20-2004, 04:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Is this Israel's fault?

I just don't want to be caught off guard when someone spurts it out.

[/ QUOTE ]
It's all Israel's fault. :P

zaxx19
12-20-2004, 11:49 PM
How bout a link on the THOUSANDS of honor killings in Jordan every year?? How bout one on the hundreds of girls who get acid thrown on their faces bc some rumors circulate around Pakistani villages. Till you guys show a somewhat even hand in regards to Israel-USA as oppossed to the Islamic world it seems that one can only assume that you are just antisemitic and anti-american, what other conclusions could be drawn>>??

ACPlayer
12-20-2004, 11:56 PM
Actually, i'm sure his time is better spent pointing out all of Israel's and America's atrocities

Actually it is. Improving ourselves is something we can and should pro-actively work to improve. Improving the rest of the world should be their business with encouragement and support from us.

zaxx19
12-21-2004, 12:10 AM
????
G-d you are just becoming such a joke. Seriously if there is x amount of death and destruction caused by the "EVIL RIGHT WING CABAL OF NEO-COINS ZIONISTS AND AMERICANS" and 500000X amount caused by fundamentalist Islam..then someone who is sincerly concerned about the welfare of humans would obviously pay MORE attention to 500000X than to X. Unless of course they have other agendas to feed. It is becoming increasingly obvious that you do.