PDA

View Full Version : 2 hands where I was chewed out for my play

kyro
12-20-2004, 04:55 AM
I'll post my reasoning for my plays later. Any critique is welcome.

Hand #1: Blinds at 50/100. 5-handed.

BB: 3065
Button: 705
Hero (SB): 690
Stack sizes of blinds are before posting

Folded to button who pushes for 705. I call with A9s...

Hand #2. Blinds 100/200. 5-handed.

Button: 1675
SB: 30
Hero(BB): 1480
Stack sizes of blinds are before posting.

Folded to button who calls 200. Hero has A2o and pushes...

(I should also mention that in Hand #2. The other opponents not in the hand had us all well covered.)

Eh?

SuitedSixes
12-20-2004, 05:05 AM
What did you have in Hand 2?

kyro
12-20-2004, 05:09 AM
god, you people are so damn picky.

/images/graemlins/smile.gif Edited /images/graemlins/smile.gif

SuitedSixes
12-20-2004, 05:19 AM
I don't like calling/raising with either hand, and I think that both situations were too early to make that kind of move. If I'm pushing with either of those, it is as 1st in. I probably like A9s more than I should, I would push there if I had a good read on the villain, but I think 50/100 is too early for that play.

raptor517
12-20-2004, 07:15 AM
i think you are fine with A9. however, the button limp indicates a small hand he wants action on in my mind, and i dont want to risk it in that situation. i check, see a flop, and fold to a bet.

ChrisV
12-20-2004, 08:31 AM
The first looks perhaps a little enthusiastic. I understand the calling instinct here, but I think A9 is in trouble more than it dominates. It won't be too far wrong tho.

On the second, people have this bizarre idea that its always right to check down and knock players out. I expect a fold here probably 80% of the time at a minimum. I imagine you got chewed out for failing to eliminate SB?

Scuba Chuck
12-20-2004, 03:00 PM
I think the first hand is all right if it were minimally one round later. So, I would fold this hand.

I check the second. If your instincts are to go allin, perhaps a little creativity here is better warranted. This might be a good stop-n-go. Any thoughts?

These could be a leaks ...despite potentially recent winning outcomes. The first is a better betting hand than calling hand. The latter is in trouble - IMHO.

At 5 player early bubble blinds, let the game come to you. This type of loose play will definately lead to poor ROI over time.

Regards, Scuba

jedi
12-20-2004, 03:05 PM
I don't like either play. In hand 1, you have a marginal hand and you're calling for all your chips. Even if the raiser is a total LAG, you're likely not that big of a favorite. What were the stack sizes of the other 2 players, and what's the payout structure? Is it a 2-table, or a 1-table SnG?

Hand 2 I don't like either. Especially near bubble time, the chance of moving up in the pay scale is worth the risk that the button will catch a hand and you'd lose your investment. You dominate no hands so at best you're a slight favorite. I'd check and see a flop.

In hand 2,

morgan180
12-20-2004, 03:35 PM
Hand 1 - I don't like calling with because A9 looks good, but you're probably going to be called only with stuff that dominates you or that you're a small favorite to.

Hand 2 - I like the push. If you check what type of flop are you hoping to see? If you do check I think most likely its a fold on the flop. I agree with ChrisV on his analysis.

kyro
12-20-2004, 07:49 PM
First of all, thanks everyone for the great feedback. I don't feel too awful about my plays considering nobody can seem to agree on the correct play on either hand. I'd like to share the results and my thought processes on the hands. Further critique is appreciated.

Hand #1: Big stack in BB folded. SB turned over an underpair and I think I hit a flush. My thoughts:

Blinds are going up soon. Right now, I have just over 6BB, and they're coming around fast. If I put myself in Button's shoes, I'm pushing here with a wider range of hands than normal, especially as it was folded to me. I put SB on any pair, I'm a coinflip to 22-77 and fairly dominated by 88-AA. I also figure he could have any two broadway, of which I'm a slight favorite over, and any A, of which I'm overall a slight favorite over. Basically I figure I was 50-50 over the Button. Since BB could have any two cards, and I'm running out of time, I figure this is my best chance to double up and win some chips.

Hand #2:

This one is very questionable, I'll admit. In response to ChrisV, actually it was the SB, the same guy who I beat several hands ago that bitched me out. I think he was still sore. I don't understand the checking it down idea with 5 people left. If I do that and lose the hand, now I'm short stack and have to compete with 3 big stacks. Joy.

If I check PF, the only way I'm putting more money in is if an A flops. If not, I check and I can almost be sure button autobets this if checked to him. If I can get button to fold PF, I'm guaranteed another 170 chips, which I feel is very crucial at this level of the game. Since button doesn't have a very big stack in comparison to mine, I feel he only calls this with a very good hand, something I just didn't feel like he had. There's no reason to play it slow to knock out a guy in 5th place...you still need to worry about 4th place, so there's no reason for him to smooth-call PF unless he has a monster, like AA, KK or QQ.

Anyways, button folded, and I was able to knock out SB. I could have cared less about SB. He wasn't a threat any longer. I made that push solely for the chance at 170 extra chips.

Thoughts on my reasoning?

poboy
12-20-2004, 09:57 PM
I don't like the first hand. If the pusher was a short stack maybe, but he's not and in fact has you covered. I don't want to risk my game on Ax whether it's suited or not. You will often be dominated and the rest of the time you'll have a coinflip, not exactly an ideal situation.

At first glance hand #2 looks just as bad, but it's not. The button will fold quite often here(even more often than usual I would think) and you will pick up 170 chips uncontested. Not to mention the times that you eliminate the SB and take down 230. Of course if you are called you're probably way behind. Still I like this play because you are going to be called so rarely.