PDA

View Full Version : Building a DVD collection update 6

Non_Comformist
12-20-2004, 04:54 AM
Movies rated 0-5, 3 or better required to make it in the collection >2.5 = good movie

Latest Viewings

Gettysburgh Gettysburgh is the type of film your history teacher would have you watch for week to get out of teaching and while there were some good parts,I found it boring, too long and more like a TV mini-series than movie. It did high-light how far special affects have come and I think the idea was good and wouldn't mind seeing a condensed and rewritten script make it back to the big screen. I think history buffs would like this film as it is very accurate.
Rating 2.0

The Patriot I know many will say this film is just a rehash of Braveheart and/or gladiator in a different costume and they're right. However I still consider it a good movie worth watching. Basically a good vs. evil tale, The Patriot does one very smart thing. It makes the villian an equal to the Hero, and because he is unrelenting in his evilness you care, in that you want to see him die a horrible death.
Rating 3.72

South Park. Bigger, Louder & Uncut [censored] this movie was [censored] funny. I almost [censored] my [censored] pants on multiple [censored] occassions. You would have to have [censored] for [censored] brains to not appreciate it.
Rating 4.17

Heat Basic cops and robbers movie, except for the fact that it kicks major ass. Great acting from Deniro and Pacino, while playing himself, which is what he does these days, is perhaps the only actor who could be Deniro's equal and pull off this roll. The shoot out at the end is nothing short of electrifying.
Rating 4.75

Fast and the Furious I knew within 10 minutes that this was not a collection worthy movie. The dialog is horrible made more so by the attempt to be ultra hip and cool in every scene and every line. Instead it comes across like a bad rap video. It does score high on the unitentional comedy scale, and is enjoyable enough for a one time, saturday afternoon watch.
Rating 2.5

Willard Quirky story about a life time loser, whose only friend comes in the form of a rat. I really enjoyed Willard, the director and Crispin Glover (Willard) do an amazing job of developing the rats into characters especially Big Ben. The guy who played the drill sergeant in Platoon also does a good job. Odd but good.
Rating 3.40

The Ring Holy [censored] this scared the [censored] out me! It didn't help either that my phone went off about 2/3rds the way through. One of the best horror films I have seen, and Naomi Watts is hard-on inducing as a bonus (no nudity unfortunately, but it got me to flash back to her nude scenes in 21grams). Of course horror movies suffer from new car syndrom (loses much of its value once you take it off the lot) in that they are never nearly as good the second time around.
Rating 3.47

That makes The Collection as follows.

1. Godfather Part I 5.00
.. Godfather Part II 5.00
.. Fight Club 5.00
4. Heat 4.75
5. GoodFellas 4.70
6. Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon 4.60
7. Saving Private Ryan 4.57
8. Office Space 4.55
9. Braveheart 4.50
10. The Usual Suspects 4.45
11. Pale Rider 4.40
12. Training Day 4.35
13. The Last Samurai 4.30
14. Swingers 4.25
15. Reservoir Dogs 4.20
16. South Park BLUC 4.17
17. Gladiator 4.15
18. Sleepers 4.10
19. Die Hard 4.00
20. Donnie Brasco 3.90
21. Spinal Tap 3.85
22. Meet the Parents 3.75
23. The Hunt For Red October 3.74
24. Black Hawk Down 3.73
25. The Patriot 3.72
26. Boiler Room 3.70
27. 24 Season 1 3.65
28. Catch Me If You Can 3.60
29. Zoolander 3.55
30. Clear & Present Danger 3.50
31. The Ring 3.47
32. Oceans Eleven 3.45
33. Willard 3.40
34. City Hall 3.35
35. Fog of War 3.30
36. Jerry Maguire 3.27
37. Ace Ventura Pet Detective 3.25
38. The Godfather Part III 3.10
39. The Good The Bad and The Ugly 3.09

61 spots remaining still plenty of room to get the must haves.

Overall most movies were what I expected except for Gettysburgh which I had heard good things about.

AncientPC
12-20-2004, 05:31 AM
Fine you win.

I have like 3 DVDs.

JTG51
12-20-2004, 05:33 AM
Are you watching all of these movies for the first time?

Also, where are you getting your DVDs?

Non_Comformist
12-20-2004, 05:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Are you watching all of these movies for the first time?

Also, where are you getting your DVDs?

[/ QUOTE ]

I have seen many of them previously but I write the reviews as if it is the first time because I think they read better, and I like to read what people think when they are recommending or warning about them.

Many of the DVD's came from various columbia house memberships. I have completed the initial free selections now. I also just buy many either at a B&M or Online. I try to find things on sale when I can.

NLSoldier
12-20-2004, 05:40 AM
d00d get a DVD burner and you will be able to get movies for like 1 buck. +EV +EV +EV!

GuyOnTilt
12-20-2004, 05:42 AM
d00d get a DVD burner and you will be able to get movies for like 1 buck. +EV +EV +EV!

Yes, if by "EV" you mean "theft".

GoT

NLSoldier
12-20-2004, 05:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Yes, if by "EV" you mean "theft".

[/ QUOTE ]

OMG dude, no more theft than all the money you steal from degenerate gamblers on party poker,

wow, worst analogy ever. you heard it here first.

AncientPC
12-20-2004, 05:50 AM
Are you drunk? Or tired? Or both?

NLSoldier
12-20-2004, 05:52 AM
drunck, check out my otehr posts dude.

GuyOnTilt
12-20-2004, 05:52 AM
OMG dude, no more theft than all the money you steal from degenerate gamblers on party poker,

Actually, quite a bit more since what I do involves zero theft and what you suggest does involve theft.

You heard it here second.

GoT

NLSoldier
12-20-2004, 05:53 AM
namely the one entitled "writing papers while drunk".....i thought that was kind of a deaad giveawhay /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Reef
12-20-2004, 07:27 AM
I REALLY hope to see Hero, Memento, Leon:The Professional, Minority Report, Superman 1, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 1&2, Schindlers List, Contact, Fifth Element, or The Crow on here

Schneids
12-20-2004, 07:54 AM
Add Pulp Fiction and American History X.

Edit: and The Big Lebowski and Good Will Hunting

elwoodblues
12-20-2004, 10:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Heat Basic cops and robbers movie, except for the fact that it kicks major ass. Great acting from Deniro and Pacino, while playing himself, which is what he does these days, is perhaps the only actor who could be Deniro's equal and pull off this roll. The shoot out at the end is nothing short of electrifying.
Rating 4.75

[/ QUOTE ]

Heat was great. I always thought that a slightly better ending would be to have someone get killed at the end (Pacino or DeNiro) and but not know who it was (just show one of the shadows fall.)

fsuplayer
12-20-2004, 12:10 PM
minority report kicks tons of ass.

great new style noir.

Non_Comformist
12-20-2004, 02:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I REALLY hope to see Hero, Memento, Leon:The Professional, Minority Report, Superman 1, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 1&2, Schindlers List, Contact, Fifth Element, or The Crow on here

[/ QUOTE ]

I reviewed Hero in update 4 (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=exchange&Number=137551 9&Forum=,,,,,,,,,,All_Forums,,,,,,,,,,&Words=&Sear chpage=9&Limit=25&Main=1375519&Search=true&where=& Name=9091&daterange=&newerval=&newertype=&olderval =&oldertype=&bodyprev=#Post1375519) The Crow would be one I would definently hope to get to. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles?

Non_Comformist
12-20-2004, 02:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Rating 4.75

[/ QUOTE ]

Heat was great. I always thought that a slightly better ending would be to have someone get killed at the end (Pacino or DeNiro) and but not know who it was (just show one of the shadows fall.)

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, it did not seem fitting for one of them to come out on top. I think too many people hate open-ended endings and would have been upset. Good idea though.

Great movie

Non_Comformist
12-20-2004, 02:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I expect to take major heat until Pulp Fiction is added. A lot of recommendations for American History X, which I haven't seen.

GuyOnTilt
12-20-2004, 02:23 PM
Hey,

I haven't been reading these, but this is a really good idea. A few movies you may not come across from hearing from others that might be worth a look (in order of public awareness):

Amelie
In America
City of God (absolute must have)
Adaptation
Spirited Away
Dopamine
Coffee and Cigarettes

Some of these probably won't make your collection, but some undoubtedly will and all of them are films worth seeing.

Edit: I know you probably couldn't care less, but looking over your list, there are only a couple films that I would've placed significantly differently. Godfather Part II would have a higher rating than Part I. Crouching Tiger would be nowhere near as high as it it. The Usual Suspects would not have made the list. Every time I rewatch that movie I become less and less impressed with it as a film. Gladiator also wouldn't have made the list. I was very unimpressed with it. Hunt For Red October I liked, but it wouldn't be in my top 100. Black Hawk Down would've been higher. Zoolander would not have made it. The Ring would definitely not have made it. I didn't see Fog of War, though I've been meaning to, so I guess I'll have to pick that one up now. Anyway, I guess that gives some idea of what type of films I like...

GoT

fsuplayer
12-20-2004, 02:26 PM

does that mean you actually watched it?!?

JeffO
12-20-2004, 02:29 PM
I just saw Mystic River for the first time this weekend. It may very well be the best movie I've ever seen.

ThaSaltCracka
12-20-2004, 02:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Actually, quite a bit more since what I do involves zero theft and what you suggest does involve theft.

You heard it here second.

GoT

[/ QUOTE ]I agree with GoT. NLSodier, you drunk posts suck. They lack humor completely.

ThaSaltCracka
12-20-2004, 02:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I just saw Mystic River for the first time this weekend. It may very well be the best movie I've ever seen.

[/ QUOTE ]this movie was sooooooooooooooooo boring, and Sean Penn once again sucked huge balls. "Um I dunno if you did it or not, so I'll just kill ya anyways" dumb [censored].

I was greatly disapointed with this movie.

JeffO
12-20-2004, 02:43 PM
[/ QUOTE ]this movie was sooooooooooooooooo boring, and Sean Penn once again sucked huge balls. "Um I dunno if you did it or not, so I'll just kill ya anyways" dumb [censored].

I was greatly disapointed with this movie.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am officially ignoring any of ThaSaltCrackas movie advice. Both Sean Penn and Tim Robbins won Oscars for their roles in this movie. Great Movie.

ThaSaltCracka
12-20-2004, 02:52 PM
dude, pull your head out of your ass, the Hollywood Elite has hard ons for both of them, probably will forever too. I like Robbins a lot, but I still am smart enough to realize this.

JeffO
12-20-2004, 02:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
dude, pull your head out of your ass, the Hollywood Elite has hard ons for both of them, probably will forever too. I like Robbins a lot, but I still am smart enough to realize this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, I see. It was a big conspiracy. OK.

Non_Comformist
12-20-2004, 02:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Amelie
In America
City of God (absolute must have)
Adaptation
Spirited Away
Dopamine
Coffee and Cigarettes

I know you probably couldn't care less, but looking over your list, there are only a couple films that I would've placed significantly differently. Godfather Part II would have a higher rating than Part I. Crouching Tiger would be nowhere near as high as it it. The Usual Suspects would not have made the list. Every time I rewatch that movie I become less and less impressed with it as a film. Gladiator also wouldn't have made the list. I was very unimpressed with it. Hunt For Red October I liked, but it wouldn't be in my top 100. Black Hawk Down would've been higher. Zoolander would not have made it. The Ring would definitely not have made it. I didn't see Fog of War, though I've been meaning to, so I guess I'll have to pick that one up now. Anyway, I guess that gives some idea of what type of films I like...

GoT

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, I do care so thanks for the comments. I post the updates because I like reading what everyone thinks of the different movies and how The Collection is shaping up. You could make a good case that GFII was better than GFI. I have considered them to me one movie broken into to two parts with the whole being the strongest. Obviously I feel part 3 falls far short.

Based on this forum's almost unanimous approval, I hope to get City of God before long. I'll keep a look out for the others as I feel that The Collection is needing some off the mainstream movies.

Non_Comformist
12-20-2004, 02:59 PM
Jeff,

Why do you have a picture of whiskeytown as your avatar?

JeffO
12-20-2004, 03:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Jeff,

Why do you have a picture of whiskeytown as your avatar?

[/ QUOTE ]

What is whiskeytown? It's John Belushi from Animal House.

ThaSaltCracka
12-20-2004, 03:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]uh, okay, because I said conspiracy. If you don't want to admit there is a Hollywood Elite, filled with absurd fimlie snobbery, then I am done talking to you.

GuyOnTilt
12-20-2004, 03:04 PM
Both Sean Penn and Tim Robbins won Oscars for their roles in this movie. Great Movie.

The former does not necessitate the latter.

GoT

Non_Comformist
12-20-2004, 06:53 PM
Here is what I have lined up for the next week or so.

Matrix
American Beauty
Rocky
Spiderman
Spiderman 2
Three Kings
Spy Game
X-Men
X-Men 2
Red Dragon

Your thoughts, ratings and collection predictions for the above

oddjob
12-20-2004, 07:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Rating 4.75

[/ QUOTE ]

am i the only one that thinks pacino was way over the top in this movie to be considered great acting?

dont' get me wrong, i loved the movie, i love pacino, i loved pacino in the movie, but i wouldn't consider his acting in this movie great.

Non_Comformist
12-20-2004, 07:30 PM
Yeah that's what I meant by he plays himself. He doesn't act anymore he just plays his standard loud talking self. For this movie it worked really well.

oddjob
12-20-2004, 07:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

although i laughed my ass off at this comment. it's pretty lame of you to rag on someone's opinion, because you have a hard on over the movie. i thought it was a good movie, but i can definitly see salt's point of view. i expect a lot more from it, from all the oscar praise.

oddjob
12-20-2004, 07:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Yeah that's what I meant by he plays himself. He doesn't act anymore he just plays his standard loud talking self. For this movie it worked really well.

[/ QUOTE ]

ah ha. i missed that part hastily trying to read your reviews. i agree it does work for the movie. taht brings to mind lost in translation. i imagine this is as how bill murray is playing himself. fits so perfect.

fsuplayer
12-20-2004, 07:36 PM
Matrix-awesome
American Beauty-great flick. one of my favorites.
Rocky-good of course
Spiderman-decent
Spiderman 2
Three Kings-i liked it. underrated i think.
Spy Game-not a bad spy movie. kind of like enemy of the state, sort of.
X-Men-didnt see
X-Men 2-didnt see
Red Dragon-ehh. not very good. i think my least fav. ed norton movie

Redmen62
12-20-2004, 07:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I REALLY hope to see Hero, Memento, Leon:The Professional, Minority Report, Superman 1, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 1&2, Schindlers List, Contact, Fifth Element , or The Crow on here

[/ QUOTE ]

What the [censored] do people see in this movie?

Thythe
12-20-2004, 07:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

True DVD collectors don't want just the movie, they want the actual DVDs.

ThaSaltCracka
12-20-2004, 07:46 PM
yup, the film was a major letdown. very boring and slow.

Thythe
12-20-2004, 07:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Matrix-The original is awesome, 4.5
American Beauty-Also a classic, 4.0
Rocky-I don't really like any of the Rockys. Boxing is boring, 2.0
Spiderman-Both spidermans are very good, 4.0 for both
Spiderman 2-4.0
Three Kings-A lot better than most think, though not excellent, 3.5
Spy Game-One of my favorite movies, 4.5
X-Men-I don't remember the original much which doesn't say much for it, 3.0
X-Men 2-10 times better than the first one, 4.5
Red Dragon-I like it a lot better than most again, though I liked the whole trilogy. This is probably the worst of the trilogy, but still 4.0

I suggest adding Seven and Royal Tenenbaums to your list of watchables.

fsuplayer
12-20-2004, 07:50 PM

been wondering the same thing myself for years.

CrazyEyez
12-20-2004, 07:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Matrix
American Beauty
Rocky
Spiderman
Spiderman 2
Three Kings
Spy Game
X-Men
X-Men 2
Red Dragon

[/ QUOTE ]

Matrix - tainted because of parts II and III. If I forget about those, 4.25

American Beauty - I saw it long after I heard all the hype, and was seriously disappointed. Mildly interesting. Also the point at which Kevin Spacey ceased being Kevin Spacey and became Kevin Spacey's Ego; 2.75

Three Kings - one of my top 10 favorite movies. Outstanding performances by the leads. The quirky editing/cinematography aspects were cool without going overboard. 4.75

Spy Game - I remember liking this movie, but remember nothing about it. I'll have to rent it.

Red Dragon - I saw this when it came out and I don't remember it in detail, but I thought it was kind of dull. Was it supposed to be a remake of Manhunter, or a different story? I can't remember the deatils of those two plots. As good an actor as Ed Norton is, this role was totally forgettable. That's a rip on the movie, not Ed. 2.25

Thythe
12-20-2004, 08:08 PM
Red Dragon is no remake. It's the prequel to Silence of the Lambs and Hannibal.

Non_Comformist
12-20-2004, 08:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No, its a remake of Man Hunter which starred the dude from CSI.

Thythe
12-21-2004, 01:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No, its a remake of Man Hunter which starred the dude from CSI.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, when you're right 51% of the time, you're wrong the other 49%. I stand corrected. It's odd that this is both the prequel to Silence of the Lambs and Hannibal, while also being a remake of Manhunter. I looked it up, though, and you are quite correct.

deacsoft
12-21-2004, 01:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Edit: and The Big Lebowski

[/ QUOTE ]

YES!!!!

Blarg
12-21-2004, 07:55 PM
I'm glad you liked Heat and rated it highly.

I loved the drive-in shoot out, and the interplay between the characters -- like when DeNiro talks to the girlfriend about giving his partner another chance, and when Kilmer says the sun rises and sets for him with her, you believe it. I liked the interplay between DeNiro and his girl, as abbreviated as it was. A lot of it was all feeling, with DeNiro working very small things into a lot more. Like when everyone at the table has a woman with him but DeNiro, and he feels out of place, etc. There were so many good acting moments in the most quick, casual places.

And I'm still blown away by DeNiro's acting when he takes the freeway turn-off to the hotel to settle business and risks his whole life doing it. There's a whole short story in a half minute close-up there. DeNiro's got to be the most intelligent actor imaginable. I didn't realize the subtlety of this scene or some of the other acting in the movie when I watched it the first time, although Pacino is his usual hammy self in most of it. He's not bad in the coffee shop scene though. But overall, this is like a master's course in acting from DeNiro.

And the big shoot-out was my favorite movie shoot-out that I can think of.

Anyway, I think this is a movie that's got the chops to last a long time. There's so much going on so quickly that as much of a thrill ride as it is the first time through, it unfolds itself more completely on further viewings.

I thought The Ring was scary, but it didn't really make much sense. I have to admit that it has all the plot holes that people say it does, but a horror movie is as much about mood and setting as logic -- logic is mostly what's suspended in a good horror movie. And the movie provided a good creepy atmosphere. I thought the ghosts etc. were very very creepy too.

Blarg
12-21-2004, 08:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Matrix
American Beauty
Rocky
Spiderman
Spiderman 2
Three Kings
Spy Game
X-Men
X-Men 2
Red Dragon

[/ QUOTE ]

The Matrix's reputation may be permanently ruined by its lackluster sequels, but it remains a tremendously fun movie, and a visionary one. All systems rule under the rubric of "common sense," and the idea that common sense is in large part manufactured by the powerful and imposed on their subjects is one you're not going to see much in popular culture, as it to is a mass market product and rarely an artistic or in any way challenging one. The idea of a common reality being so completely controlled has always been a good one, and the movie realized it exceptionally well. Put me in mind in a certain way of Harlan Ellison's "I Have No Mouth But I Must Scream" short story. This movie's look won't have the shock of the new after a while, because it forced other movies to compete with its wizardry, and Keneau will never blow anyone away with his acting, but the movie will be a very fun and compelling experience for a long time to come. Definitely a keeper.

The original Rocky was surprisingly good; I expected it to be crap, but saw it when it came out. It was great then, and great now. Even for an utter cynic like me.

Spiderman -- great fun. Casting can be a big problem in superhero movies, but Toby Maguire or whatever his name is, as the lead, is just perfect. If you ever read the comic books, you may wonder where Gwen Stacey is and why Mary Jane is the love interest, but Kirstin Dunst does an okay job -- and she looks pretty incredible and does a decent job acting in the famous upside down screen kiss. Best wet shirt/blouse scene I've seen since Jacqueline Bisset in The Deep.

Both X-men I found big disappointments. The directing seems very pedestrian, though some of the set design in X-Men 2 is good. The ending of X-Men 2 doesn't make it clear why Jean Grey had to...well, I won't say. Anyway, Wolverine was good, though I agree with many that he seems to be the whole movie in a way, taking the emphasis off what's his face, the guy with the visor who blasts energy out of his eyes, who was more of the focus in the early X-Men and a very good character. He seems more like a slightly wimpy male model in these movies. Also, he looks 20 years younger than Jean Grey, and probably is. Ian whoever his name is, the guy playing Magneto, is good, though, and has a sly charm in X-Men 2. I'm barely mentioning X-Men 1 because it was a big disappointment, so much so I can barely remember it. I did watch X-Men 2 twice, but I'm not sure I'll ever watch it a third time, so to me, neither of these movies is anywhere near a keeper.

Red Dragon, I didn't see. I saw the first version, and found the psychotic to be a mixture of psychotic traits that sounded interesting to the author perhaps, but were from different psychotic fixations and didn't mesh together believably. I'm not sure if that is changed or not. Yeah, I've read a heck of a lot about serial killers, so I'm more susceptible to having a bullsh** alarm go off than some others on the subject. I'm still not all that comfy with the subject being turned into entertainment, especially when it seems like it's being used for a cheap thrill or an easy plot starter by people who don't really either know or care much about serial killers. Anyway, that's a lot of words for someone who only saw the first version, not the second.

The Matrix is a keeper, and Spiderman is worth watching twice, maybe more. Not sure if it's a keeper or not though.

Haven't seen American Beauty, Spiderman 2, Three Kings, or Spy Game.

CrazyEyez
12-21-2004, 09:37 PM
This thread got me thinking about Heat. So I thought it would be a good Xmas present for my brother. Two Best Buy's, a Circuit City, and two Targets later, and no sign of Heat on DVD. WTF?

Instead got the following at Target:
Reservoir Dogs: 10th anniversary edition - $7.50
Seinfeld: I'm Telling You For The Last Time - $5.50 (Is this any good?)
American Psycho - $9.50 (Haven't seen it yet)

Rick Nebiolo
12-22-2004, 04:54 AM
The movie "Gettysburg" disappointed me too but mostly it was because I had already read "Killer Angels", "Gods and Generals", and "The Last Full Measure" by Michael and Jeffery Shaara. This is my vote for the greatest historical fiction ever written but I'm also enjoying the Patrick O'Brien books. Unfortunately, I still have fourteen more to go /images/graemlins/wink.gif

~ Rick

Non_Comformist
12-22-2004, 05:11 AM
Know any good Civi war movies? I would really like to add one. Please don't say Cold Mountain.

Rick Nebiolo
12-22-2004, 05:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Know any good Civi war movies?

[/ QUOTE ]

"Gone With the Wind"

[ QUOTE ]
I would really like to add one. Please don't say Cold Mountain.

[/ QUOTE ]

CM the book was very good but the movie was only OK.

Is the Civil War just too big an event to make into a good movie? I can't think of any real good ones either.

John Cole, we need your help now.

~ Rick

Blarg
12-22-2004, 08:05 AM
Haven't seen American Psycho or the Seinfeld one, but wow that's a good price on Reservoir Dogs.

If you can't find Heat, maybe you'll have to get it from Amazon or something. Too late for xmas by now though.

Reef
12-22-2004, 08:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]

been wondering the same thing myself for years.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's like when the Virgin Mary came to those 3 kids in Mexico (or some similar country). The kids organized a huge gathering of people for a 'miracle'. Only the believers claimed to see the sun move.

I guess you're one of them who didn't see the sun move

whiskeytown
12-22-2004, 11:25 AM
I am Whiskeytown.

Ain't it funny....we're not supposed to admire John Belushi's character in Animal House - He's pathetic, a pig, and a loser - and yet we all aspire to be like him /images/graemlins/grin.gif

RB

Rick Nebiolo
12-22-2004, 02:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
wow that's a good price on Reservoir Dogs.

[/ QUOTE ]

A guy who used to hawk videos around the card clubs now hawks DVDs. I looked through his pile and picked out Reservoir Dogs (not even sure it was the 10th Aniversary Edition). He wanted $10 so I passed and that was before I saw this set of posts /images/graemlins/grin.gif

If I had seen this part of the thread first maybe I could have bargained him down to $7!

~ Rick

Losing all
12-22-2004, 03:20 PM
Seeing that you like war movies I'm sure you plan on adding apocalypse now.

other good war movies

full metal jacket

platoon

84 charlie mopic- indie, nam

Hell in the pacific- cool old movie, and Lee Marvin kicks ass

horror movies

The shinning

evil dead 2 (best horror film ever!)

dawn of the dead- the old one

texas chainsaw- the old one

Blarg
12-22-2004, 07:01 PM
Hey if you're going to talk about Lee Marvin and war movies -- The Big Red One.

Evil Dead I loved but Evil Dead 2 substantially less so. Especially since it was a sort-of remake of Evil Dead 1, strangely enough. And concentrated more on being funny. The first Evil Dead was much scarier and all around great.

I'd also suggest "The Hidden." Great movie.