PDA

View Full Version : Bad Streaks - How long?

toby
12-20-2004, 03:03 AM
After moving up to 2/4 successfully for a few thousand hands, I've hit a cold streak where it seems like any hand I have is cursed. It's been almost 2 weeks now (I took a few days off and just came back to .5/1 to clear the PP bonus; 3-tabled and simultaneously lost set-over-set, flush-over-flush, and AK to AJ rivered a 2-pair - cold streak still is going strong)

I gradually tilted as evidenced by my running-good vpip (~14%) creeping up to ~19% when I was losing but anyway I'm rereading SSH and wondering what other people's experiences have been. This sucks! Especially during Christmas!

lightw1thoutheat
12-20-2004, 03:24 AM
hey,
just keep playing solid poker, you'll be winning soon.
I am in the midst of a terrible month for me at 2/4, i am barely above even ( i know thats not actually that bad, just feels like it). As always, try to play at your best level. But a vpip of 19 isnt so bad, if youve been reading ssh, youve probably seen some hands you could add in certain situations. Just try to play your good game and things will come around. Dont tilt money away, it doesnt even feel good. (at least for me)
-light

sthief09
12-20-2004, 03:30 AM
how many hands?

Ajax410
12-20-2004, 04:11 AM
I had a 7k stretch where KK, QQ, TT, 99, AKs, AJs, KQs were all losers and AA and JJ were nowhere close to the BB/Hand they should have been.

Needless to say, I was down almost 200 BBs in this time period.

Alex

arkady
12-20-2004, 04:18 AM
talk to Tosh, he will tell you all about streaks.

brassnuts
12-20-2004, 04:55 AM
Didn't read your post yet, but I will answer anyways.

Forever.

Edit: Just read your post, and while you never actually posed the question inside of it, I stand by my initial statement. Just hang in there. I think there are a lot of people running cold right right now, and a lot of really lucky players thinking they are good at poker. So, it might pay off in the long run as they will have an exaggerated sense of playing ability, and keep playing for years to come... hopefully. /images/graemlins/grin.gif Good luck.

Schizo
12-20-2004, 04:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I had a 7k stretch where KK, QQ, TT, 99, AKs, AJs, KQs were all losers and AA and JJ were nowhere close to the BB/Hand they should have been.

Needless to say, I was down almost 200 BBs in this time period.

Alex

[/ QUOTE ]

[censored]!!!!

My worst loosing streak was playing 12 hours a day and I went 5 days without winning a pot. And there was nothing but fishes at the tables. I went 12 hours without being dealt a winning hand at a live game once.

Derek in NYC
12-20-2004, 09:41 AM
Your VP$IP of 14% seems too tight. You are laying down many hands you should be playing. Take a close look at what you're laying down in early position (small pocket pairs?), or in middle/late position after numerous limpers (suited one gaps?). You need to make sure that if the table is right, you're limping with these hands that play well multiway.

bdk3clash
12-20-2004, 09:41 AM
"My worst loosing streak was playing 12 hours a day and I went 5 days without winning a pot."

60 hours of play and you did not win one hand? I call BS.

sthief09
12-20-2004, 11:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
My worst loosing streak was playing 12 hours a day and I went 5 days without winning a pot. And there was nothing but fishes at the tables.

[/ QUOTE ]

if you're going to lie, at least make it believable...

David BB
12-20-2004, 11:35 AM
My worst run was -380BB over ~18k hands at Party 2/4.

It was discussed in an earlier thread here if you're interested in the details.

sudic
12-20-2004, 12:58 PM
Yikes!

I'm in the middle of a -85BB streak at 2/4 Party /images/graemlins/frown.gif
Its driving me crazy.

mistrpug
12-20-2004, 01:28 PM
Having my second ~100 BB downswing in about a month. Luckliy there were a few good days between the streaks.

donkeyradish
12-20-2004, 03:23 PM
The thing about bad streaks...

Its the self-doubt. I start to think, maybe I'm really not that good at this. This can make me play worse rather than better. So I usually go and play a different game and come back to Hold'em after I've won something, to make a fresh start.

Twitch1977
12-20-2004, 03:42 PM
I'm on what is pretty much my first bad run since starting poker and it's not terrible yet by any means, but seeing all of you replying that you're on, or have weathered bad streaks really makes me feel better.

Until now I was starting to question the way I played, and I'm the first to admit I'm not a great player, but I am certainly better then my average opponent.

So anyways, thanks everyone for posting, comfort in numbers I suppose /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays
T

josh1122
12-20-2004, 09:29 PM
I'm currently in a funk that began on November 27th and has yet to receed. Over the last 20k hands of Party 3/6, I'm minus 80BB (currently) with the lowest point being minus 175ish BB. I went from that point to break even, but then sank back down and man it sucks.

First 20k hands at 3/6 = 3.5BB/100
Last 20k hands at 3/6 = -.35BB/100
Total 40k hands about 1.75BB/100

I also have fits of self-doubt sometimes, especially now that I am running rather badly. And it causes tilt which may account for a relatively sizable portion of my losses.

I am interested to hear Tosh's downswing experiences.

Schizo
12-21-2004, 02:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
My worst loosing streak was playing 12 hours a day and I went 5 days without winning a pot. And there was nothing but fishes at the tables.

[/ QUOTE ]

if you're going to lie, at least make it believable...

[/ QUOTE ]

I meant a big pot. I won the blinds and some small pots a few times, but nothing big or even respectable. And I did go 10 hours without winning a single hand big or small. It's no lie. It was a live game at foxwoods 4/8. I went on a major winning streak afterwards though. It was very hard to get through and I almost quit poker because of it. The only reason I didn't quit was because I had befriended a semi-pro's wife and she told me that I wasn't doing anything wrong. She happened to hit a pretty bad streak at the same time as well. Ironically enough she hit a major winning streak as soon as we stopped hanging out. Not a very good sign if you are superstitious. Thank heavens she isn't.

Speaking of bad streaks, look what I've dealt with in the last hour. Please, tell me, is that not an incredibly bad streak? In all fairness I think I just have bigger swings than everyone else. Hopefully, in time, that will change.

I probably played the last two wrong though.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+2 with 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 4/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, Hero calls, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, Button folds, SB folds, BB folds, Hero calls.

Flop: (5.50 SB) 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif, A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (3.75 BB) Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (5.75 BB) 7/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, CO calls.

Final Pot: 13.75 BB

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
CO has Qc Qd (full house, Queens full of sevens).
Hero has 4d 4c (full house, fours full of sevens).
Outcome: UTG+2 wins 12 BB. </font>

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is CO with 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 calls, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, Hero calls, Button folds, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (4 SB) 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif, A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, K/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG+2 checks, Hero checks.

Turn: (2 BB) 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 bets</font>, Hero calls, SB folds, BB folds.

River: (4 BB) K/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, UTG+2 calls.

Final Pot: 12 BB

UTG+2 has 5c Kd (full house, kings full of fives).
Hero has 7h 7s (full house, sevens full of kings).
Outcome: UTG+2 wins 12 BB. </font>

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif, K/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
UTG calls, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, MP1 folds, Hero calls, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button folds, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (4 SB) 7/images/graemlins/club.gif, Q/images/graemlins/club.gif, J/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks, Hero checks.

Turn: (2 BB) T/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, UTG folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB folds, BB calls.

River: (6 BB) 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 12 BB

BB has Td 7h (full house, sevens full of tens).
Hero has 6s Ks (flush, king high).
Outcome: BB wins 12 BB. </font>

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif, T/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 calls, MP3 folds, CO calls, Button folds, SB folds, Hero checks.

Flop: (3.50 SB) T/images/graemlins/spade.gif, T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 calls, CO folds.

Turn: (2.75 BB) J/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 calls.

River: (4.75 BB) A/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 8.75 BB

Hero has 5h Tc (three of a kind, tens).
MP2 has Qs 6d (straight, ace high).
Outcome: MP2 wins 8.75 BB. </font>

joedot
12-21-2004, 04:06 AM
And why are you scamming on someone elses wife? scumbag

Schizo
12-21-2004, 04:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
And why are you scamming on someone elses wife? scumbag

[/ QUOTE ]

I am in my 20's and she is atleast 30 years older than me. We still talk, and I consider her a good friend. You have the wrong idea.

Why are you so hostile?