PDA

View Full Version : Home Hold'em

03-19-2002, 07:41 PM
I have been playing in a hold'em game with 5-8 regulars. We play limit hold'em and most have a general grasp of starting hand values. The problem is, most never think about odds. I MEAN ANY ODDS. Sure, every knows that the is a better chance to flop a pair than it is to flop trips, however they just don't know the "numbers" and how they affect proper play. Okay that is not a problem it is a blessing. The problem is, I must often play very poor hands in very poor position just to avoid the rash of shit for folding. Lately I have been telling the other players that I am afraid of their bets and raises as an excuse to muck the weak hands and showing down absolute trash and showing my bluffs whenever I get a chance and the cost is small. It is a great way to show that I am loose and brave. After all, in a home game nobody gets away with a bluff. It is doing it when the advertising costs are expensive.

I am not sure if this helps or hinders. Any advice in these truly no fold'em games where you will have to fend off the whiners if you fold? I am looking for some cheap advertising ideas that will allow me to play my game without upsetting others. Thank you in advance.

Gary Walker

04-02-2002, 07:21 PM
You can hide your "selectivity" by being "aggressive" with the hands you DO play. Most players see an aggressive player and cannot think "tight". It is also usually profitable to play your reasonable draws aggressively so do so. In the loose games you might as well play your reasonable hands aggressively as well knowing ahead of time you are going to be betting and showing down 2nd best hands some of the time.

- Louie