PDA

View Full Version : Smoking

thatpfunk
12-20-2004, 12:15 AM
How many cigarettes do you need to smoke to consider yourself a smoker?

I began smoking in Europe when I was dinking/drunk and over the past couple months have begun to smoke with a slightly higher frequency e.g. when I'm stressed out, after an all-nighter, feeling slightly neutortic, etc. But, it still probably ends up being no more than 1 a day on average...

Am I a smoker now? I don't want this to end up being a smoking is bad debate, just curious. FWIW I plan on returning to only when drunk once the semester ends on Tuesday.

dr. klopek
12-20-2004, 12:19 AM
Allowing exceptions to the rule is the first step to breaking the rule. You can only smoke more or not at all. You are a smoker.

thatpfunk
12-20-2004, 12:24 AM
So be it. I have no problem with recreational smoking.

Piz0wn0reD!!!!!!
12-20-2004, 12:29 AM
I made a 350$ bet w/ a friend to quit smoking. If either of us somke for 1 year, we pay the other 350$. I really want to smoke tho. Smoking makes you look and feel cool. It also makes your penis larger.

thatpfunk
12-20-2004, 12:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
It also makes your penis larger.

[/ QUOTE ]

I must be buying the wrong kind

AAeyes
12-20-2004, 01:13 AM
This is probably pointless advice since you will continue to smoke 'recreationally' anyway. I started smoking the same way... I think most people do. You're at a point where you can probably stop pretty easily. Do yourself a favor and stop now. I never met a smoker who didn't think they were an idiot for starting and didn't hate the fight to quit. You're already a smoker, but you can save yourself a lot of misery and money if you just drop it now.

Best Wishes

AAeyes

knifeandfork
12-20-2004, 01:44 AM
3 major regrets in life, not sure where it rates but smoking is one for sure. if you buy a pack its a long crappy road.
quit now while you still have the will power, and not the addiction
jason

wacki
12-20-2004, 01:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Smoking makes you look and feel cool. It also makes your penis larger.

[/ QUOTE ]

Smoking is actually very very bad for the penis and can cause erectile dysfunction.

Edge34
12-20-2004, 01:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't want this to end up being a smoking is bad debate, just curious.

[/ QUOTE ]

People forgot this part, huh?

Your answer is, of course: Yes. But hey, its your life.

daryn
12-20-2004, 03:27 AM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In risposta di:</font><hr />
I never met a smoker who didn't think they were an idiot for starting and didn't hate the fight to quit.

[/ QUOTE ]

i used to think the same thing, but i met some exceptions. i think they were in denial though /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Q8offsuit
12-20-2004, 01:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
How many cigarettes do you need to smoke to consider yourself a smoker?

[/ QUOTE ]

One. That is all.

IndieMatty
12-20-2004, 01:30 PM
bah...your a smoker when you get the yellow stain on your knuckles. Until then, your a occasional bummer.

BullChip
12-20-2004, 03:23 PM
Smoking on average 1 cigarette a day does qualify you as a smoker, though not an excessive one. Smoker means someone who smokes, does not define the quantity. Therefore, you are technically a smoker.

However, if you feel that you don't want to become the person who smokes a pack a day, or half a pack for that matter, stop now. Seriously, the longer you smoke, the more your brain starts to depend on it, creating the 'fix', and the next thing you know you're chain smoking.

heavybody
12-20-2004, 03:24 PM
Well, I smoked for years and I don't think you can consider yourself a "smoker" until cigarettes become an integral part of your life, i.e. indispensible. An example: A thread posted the other day regarding the one item you would want if marooned on a desert island,well no smoker would mention anything before cigarettes, I mean if this was really going to happen to them they would have to have cigarettes period. It sounds to me like you are still in the experimental stage and could easily quit. One a day is hardly anything to worry about, but cigarettes creep up on you when you least expect and before you realize it you are a "smoker". Then quitting becomes nearly impossible for some and impossible for others. I was able to quit but I know some friends who were not able to do it and finally gave up. Cig's are a very powerful addiction once they own you so beware.

heavily bodied

IndieMatty
12-20-2004, 03:41 PM
Theres a rare breed of person who can control it. My roommate ( a lifelong poker player) can go weeks without a ciggarette, pretty much only smokes a few when he drinks. But when he wants he'll have one for no reason. He has been like this as long as I have known him. And he smokes Reds.

balkii
12-20-2004, 07:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

your health/body sure does. but i'm sure you're "too cool" to care about that, like every other smoker. "i dont wanna get old anyways"

gimme a [censored] break.

thatpfunk
12-20-2004, 07:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
your health/body sure does. but i'm sure you're "too cool" to care about that, like every other smoker. "i dont wanna get old anyways"

[/ QUOTE ]

Did I ask for any sort of judgement? Oh yeah, I specifically said I wanted to avoid any sort of smoking debate. It isn't good for you, everyone is aware of that.

But, I am sure, since you felt the need to lecture and insult me, that you don't drink alcohol or soda, eat fastfood, eat red meat, etc. which are all bad for your body as well.

If we were even acquaintances I wouldn't care, but we aren't, so whats your deal? Oh, wait, you just want to insult someone on a public forum for no reason. Relax dude, life is more fun that way.

dr. klopek
12-20-2004, 07:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Did I ask for any sort of judgement? Oh yeah, I specifically said I wanted to avoid any sort of smoking debate. It isn't good for you, everyone is aware of that.

But, I am sure, since you felt the need to lecture and insult me, that you don't drink alcohol or soda, eat fastfood, eat red meat, etc. which are all bad for your body as well.

If we were even acquaintances I wouldn't care, but we aren't, so whats your deal? Oh, wait, you just want to insult someone on a public forum for no reason. Relax dude, life is more fun that way.

[/ QUOTE ]

Balkii is a personal friend of mine, and he says the same thing to me. He's not trying to be a jerk, he just doesn't like to see people make decisions that hurt them. He has good intentions, he does, however, come across a little confrontational. I do agree with him. I have smoked for about 6 years and you have no idea how it pains me to see people make this mistake. The answer to your question is yes, you are a smoker. This is how everyone starts, by making the mistake of thinking that they can control it and smoke "casually." You are at a point where you have to decide if you want to be a smoker or not, I hope the answer is no, and I hope that you act on that very soon.

Piz0wn0reD!!!!!!
12-20-2004, 07:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

you got old already buddy.

thatpfunk
12-20-2004, 07:52 PM
Doc,
I have no problem when friends of mine give me a ton of [censored] for smoking, I am glad to know they care. But for someone to go off when I don't know them, I feel like its a little out of line. Concern is obviously appreciated, but such abbrasive tactics certainly don't make a good first impression.

BadBoyBenny
12-20-2004, 07:55 PM
switch to 100's

dr. klopek
12-21-2004, 06:37 AM
And this is perfectly understandable. I'm glad that you understand that our intentions have your (and everyone's) best interests in mind. About Balkii; he has no tact. At all. He just thinks of it like poker: if you berate someone's bad play, they are less likely to repeat it. Not saying I agree, but we have to be patient with him.

BTW, on the 24th I'm quitting.

craig r
12-21-2004, 06:58 AM
I have not smoked for 4.5 months. I am 27 now and had been smoking since I was 13 (i was so cool)...since I was 18 I smoked at least 2 packs a day.

I had tried to quit in the past, but always failed for one reason or another. Then on 8/27 I woke up and said no more. Some tips that might work:

1). Do not just have "one." I have yet to smoke since I quit. In the past when I tried (never making it past 5 days) I always started cracking by having just one.

2). The pain will go away. The first few days are really bad (everyone knows this). I was/am just very glad I was never addicted to heroin. This is bad enough. The reason I compare the two is because both make you a junkie. Things will happen that will make you want to crack..but that one cigarrette will not make you feel better. The thing about being a smoker is that it is all or nothing. Fucke doing it if you can't do it all the time.

3). I am very obsessive, so I have no advice on distracting yourself. There was nothing I could do to distract myself..I just wanted to smoke.

4). Remind yourself all the time that you really will be healthier. Another poster above mentioned not eating fast food, red meat, etc... I don't do those things and I felt like crap from smoking.

5). There is nothing that anybody can tell you that will prepare you for what you are about to go through. Just deal with it.

craig

p.s. you can PM me if you need help with it

dr. klopek
12-21-2004, 07:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
p.s. you can PM me if you need help with it

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, you class this joint up, much appreciated.

I ashamedly admit that in the 6 years since I started smoking I have quit twice for a mentionable period of time, once for 11 months and once for 10. It makes me quite aware of what I'm dealing with. I let my guard down for a split second, and smoked for another 2 years. Later I had quit for 10 months and made the decision to start smoking again. My lowest moment. I had convinced myself that if I was going to feel this way forever, I should simply continue smoking. That was 2 years ago. I have never set a date to quit, and had decided on christmas eve due to the relative ease with which I could distract myself at family functions for 2 days. Then I found out I have to work til midnight.(!) It'll be hard come break time, but [censored] that man. I hate smoking.

Skjonne
12-21-2004, 07:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I never met a smoker who didn't think they were an idiot for starting

[/ QUOTE ]

Hello. Nice to meet you.

PS The penis-gets-larger part is so not true