PDA

View Full Version : Stud/8: Play high pairs???

JRegs
12-19-2004, 11:50 PM
Hi guys. I'm trying to learn Stud/8, and I'm a bit confused here. I've read a few articles (and Hellmuth's section on Stud/8), and most of them recommend playing high pairs, like (KK) 6. My question is why??? /images/graemlins/confused.gif It's practically dead for low, and a pair of kings or queens seems too weak to stand on its own for high. In Super System, Sklansky doesn't seem to be a big fan of entering a pot with these hands...granted, that was Hi-Lo without the eight qualifier, but it doesn't seem like that would make that big of a difference. I understand the logic behind playing hands like (JJ) J, because those are very powerful for high. I'm just struggling to figure out why a pair of queens is considered playable. Thanks.

Sorry to post this question...I tried doing a search, but for obvious reasons I kept finding Stud High posts. I'm sure the answer has been posted a million times. Thanks.

greenage
12-20-2004, 12:43 AM
Hey JRegs, I’m a new player so take this with a grain of salt.

I have had some luck playing high pairs in Stud/8 when I’m in a game where I can fold off players.

If I can isolate a likely low or two, or a low and crap looking high, I just keep pressuring as long as things look favorable.

I think the key is being able to get it shorthanded.

greenage

Awesemo
12-20-2004, 01:59 AM
High pairs such as kings have a fair chance of scooping the pot, if no one makes a low. Most of the time in a loose game you will not want to play kings aggressively, unless they improve, or you think you can eliminate players from the pot to improve your chances of winning. In a shorthanded game or a 2-3 way pot, the kings are a good hand because if a low card catches a brick on 4th street you are in quite good position. Ray Zee places the "best high hand on board" below "Three small cards to a straight and two small cards with an ace," in terms of starting hands. High hands can be marginally profitable if played correctly.