PDA

View Full Version : The Aviator

andyfox
12-19-2004, 10:54 PM
A grand entertainment. Over the top Scoreseseismo, but great fun. Leoanrdo DiCaprio is terrific, although I thought he was a bit too young to play the part. Cate Blanchett is great too; Kate Beckinsale is terrible, though nice to look at. Alan Alda's scenes with DiCaprio are wonderful and Alec Baldwin and Willem DeFoe are present as well. Three hours, but it doesn't seem that long.

A big, Hollywood movie in the best sense. One would think Scorsese will finally win his Best Directing Oscar.

JimRivett
12-19-2004, 11:26 PM
It's certainly being heavily promoted. I agree, I think Leoanrdo DiCaprio looks too young to successfully play Hughes, although if I'm not mistaken, in the movie, the story ends just prior to him "taking over/buying out" Las Vegas.

I may see it next week.

andyfox
12-19-2004, 11:48 PM
Yes, it doesn't get into the later Las Vegas years. But Hughes was born, I think, in 1905, which would have put him in his early '40s when the movie does end, and DiCaprio looks too young to me. But his performance is wonderful, probably Oscar-worthy.

Andy

Tim&Joe
12-19-2004, 11:59 PM
Tim: That Leo is something else Joe. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Joe: We are talking Judy Garland territory Tim /images/graemlins/heart.gif /images/graemlins/heart.gif /images/graemlins/heart.gif

fsuplayer
12-20-2004, 12:30 AM
i feel like i should know this, but what airline did he start?

andyfox
12-20-2004, 12:52 AM
Didn't start it, bought TWA.

jakethebake
12-20-2004, 10:56 AM
Are you people serious? I haven't seen Aviator, but I can't figure out why Leo D. keeps getting parts in what are actually good movies. He couldn't act his way out of a paper bag. The only thing he's ever been good in was Gilbert Grape, and only because he kind of looks retarded anyway. /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Iceman
12-20-2004, 12:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Are you people serious? I haven't seen Aviator, but I can't figure out why Leo D. keeps getting parts in what are actually good movies. He couldn't act his way out of a paper bag. The only thing he's ever been good in was Gilbert Grape, and only because he kind of looks retarded anyway. /images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Titanic grossed over $1 billion because of all the 12-year old girls who saw it in the theater five times...does that answer your question?

jakethebake
12-20-2004, 12:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Titanic grossed over $1 billion because of all the 12-year old girls who saw it in the theater five times...does that answer your question?

[/ QUOTE ]
I guess it does. They give him parts, regardless of acting ability, because a lot of 12 year-olds will spend their allowance money to see him. Next question then has to be what the 12 year-olds see in him, but I won't ask it because that would assume rational thought/good taste on the part of 12 year-old girls. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Patrick del Poker Grande
12-20-2004, 12:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Didn't start it, bought TWA.

[/ QUOTE ]
Ummm... there is (was - they were bought out by McDonnell Douglas) a little company called the HUGHES AIRCRAFT COMPANY. It was once the largest employer in Southern California. Hughes Space and Communications company was once the largest producer of commercial satellites and was the first to produce a synchronous communications satellite.

If you haven't heard of Hughes the aerospace company, maybe you've heard of THE SPRUCE freaking GOOSE - the world's largest wooden sea plane (due to a shortage of metal during the war).

If still none of that rings a bell (I'm not demeaning - I really forget sometimes what non-aero geeks would be familiar with), maybe you've heard of the Hughes AH-64 APACHE HELICOPTER.

TWA can suck my ass - Hughes' real contributions were in aerospace and a wide variety of other fields like electronics and communications. His companies went on to be giants in their field (maybe in spite of him in some cases - he was not the best businessman). He was a very innovative man and it's a real shame his capacities were cut short early.

Lazymeatball
12-20-2004, 12:42 PM
change your avatar you bandwitdth leeching [censored]

nicky g
12-20-2004, 01:14 PM
He asked him about his airline, not his satellite making company or greatest contribution to human progress.

DiCaprio is a decent actor.

Patrick del Poker Grande
12-20-2004, 01:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
He asked him about his airline, not his satellite making company or greatest contribution to human progress.

DiCaprio is a decent actor.

[/ QUOTE ]
Right - sorry I misread it a little quickly.

nicky g
12-20-2004, 01:29 PM
Cool. Sorry if my post came across as a bit shirty; wasn;t meant to be but reads that way in retrospect.

andyfox
12-20-2004, 01:35 PM
fsuplayer asked me what airline he started. I assumed he meant TWA, which he did not start, but bought into.

The movie is informative on Hughes' varied interests and companies, emphasizing his innovation and farsightedness, especially in aviation. It shows Dietrich as being the businessman, with Hughes the big thinker.

Patrick del Poker Grande
12-20-2004, 01:37 PM
Alright - so back to the original topic. Howard Hughes is definitely a great character worthy of a movie. I was wondering how good the flick was, though. I have a feeling it'll be rented at my house, if for no other reason than I'll have a house full of in-laws for a while and I don't anticipate being able to go see any movies whether I think they'll be good or not.

andyfox
12-20-2004, 01:39 PM
I thought he was quite good in The Aviator. I also liked him in a movie of perhaps ten years ago, whose name escapes me, with Robert DeNiro playing his stepfather and Ellen Barkin as his mother.

Patrick del Poker Grande
12-20-2004, 01:49 PM
Thank you, Lazymeatball, for your junior-high antics. The world is a better place for you having been here.

BusterStacks
12-20-2004, 02:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Thank you, Lazymeatball, for your junior-high antics. The world is a better place for you having been here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually he's right, I'm reporting you to a moderator.

Lazymeatball
12-20-2004, 02:37 PM
Seriously, you were the one with the disgusting avatar.
Non-seriously, i thought it was kind of funny of whatever site was hosting your avatar to pull the old switcheroo on you. Just admit you were at fault here.

BusterStacks
12-20-2004, 02:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Non-seriously, i thought it was kind of funny of whatever site was hosting your avatar to pull the old switcheroo on you. Just admit you were at fault here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lol, I didn't realize that is what happened. That's hillarious!

Lazymeatball
12-20-2004, 02:44 PM
yeah, i guess they got sick of his more cowbell avatar and replaced it with goat.sex.com or whatever. I thouhgt he would see the humour in this. considering most SNL sketches read at a junior high level.

cnfuzzd
12-20-2004, 03:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Alan Alda's scenes with DiCaprio are wonderful

[/ QUOTE ]

possibly the most confusing and misleading thing ever written...

peace

john nickle

Patrick del Poker Grande
12-20-2004, 03:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Right - you should really just stop. You may have been browsing goatse or I don't know what, but my avatar never changed on its own and the website I've linked to never changed. How curious that it happened right after you made some comment about my avatar. Let's not play this game.

Lazymeatball
12-20-2004, 03:27 PM
Actually, it changed right before my comment. That's why I made the comment. You got played a fool by whatever website you picked for your avatar, I pointed it out. I'm glad you've corrected the problem for the benfit of everyone. Now more cowbell
http://www.monkeyview.net/id/308/craptastic/P1010019.jpg

BusterStacks
12-20-2004, 03:30 PM
MORE COWBELL!!!

jakethebake
12-20-2004, 04:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Alan Alda's scenes with DiCaprio are wonderful

[/ QUOTE ]

possibly the most confusing and misleading thing ever written...

peace

john nickle

[/ QUOTE ]
Oh Dear God! Funniest post of the year.

andyfox
12-20-2004, 06:42 PM
/images/graemlins/smile.gif

But you apparently haven't read any of my other fifty thousand posts. . .

J.R.
12-20-2004, 07:09 PM
"I also liked him in a movie of perhaps ten years ago, whose name escapes me, with Robert DeNiro playing his stepfather and Ellen Barkin as his mother"

This boy's life