PDA

View Full Version : Creating a website

thatpfunk
12-19-2004, 10:24 PM
I am looking to develop a website for myself. I am a writer and would be looking to do some simple stuff like posting archives, writings of the week, pictures, contact info, etc.

Any suggestiongs for books or websites to learn how to do so?

Thanks

gaming_mouse
12-19-2004, 10:30 PM
html is very easy to learn, but for what you want to do i wouldn't even bother. It sounds like a blog is all you need, and there are plenty of sites where you can them for free. I know alot of people use blogspot.com. There are tons of others though.

gm

thatpfunk
12-19-2004, 10:33 PM
I would like it to seem a little more professional than a blog as it would be giving examples of published works, links to buy, and info for potential publishers...

Leo99
12-19-2004, 10:34 PM
Get FrontPage from Microsoft. If you can use PowerPoint you can make a webpage. With FrontPage you create your webpages and the program writes the HTML for you behind the scenes. You may need to learn a little HTML to tweak things but it's not that hard. You need a place to host your website. Or almost as easy as the blogs but better is if you join up on Yahoo's Geocities. They have their own easy to use software to build your webpages or you can use FrontPage or HTML to create your own.

edtost
12-19-2004, 10:37 PM
paying for real hosting to avoid ads would help greatly in making his site look more professional.

Leo99
12-19-2004, 10:42 PM
I agree. Geocities is good to fool around with until you perfect your web site.

thatpfunk
12-19-2004, 10:43 PM
How would I go about learning html? Is it something you pick up as you're working on things or is there some instructional books/sites...

Thanks, you guys are awesome for stuff like this

Leo99
12-19-2004, 10:46 PM
Just jump in. If you have FrontPage, buy the FrontPage for Dummies book.

wacki
12-19-2004, 11:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I would like it to seem a little more professional than a blog as it would be giving examples of published works, links to buy, and info for potential publishers...

[/ QUOTE ]

All of these functions are pretty simple. Download Netscape. Click on File, then New then Composer page. You will be making websites in 30 seconds for free.

You can also create website with MS Word. Composer is better though.

To learn html www.webmonkey.com (http://www.webmonkey.com) will be everything you will need.

AncientPC
12-20-2004, 01:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
How would I go about learning html? Is it something you pick up as you're working on things or is there some instructional books/sites...

Thanks, you guys are awesome for stuff like this

[/ QUOTE ]

If you want to learn HTML, I'd start off www.w3schools.com (http://www.w3schools.com)

I would advise against Frontpage, because:

1) The WYSIWYG (What You See Is What You Get) editor makes pretty ugly code.

2) If you use certain "features" you need to find a web hoster that supports Frontpage extensions (which isn't always supported).

3) There are probably other free WYSIWYG alternatives out there.

daryn
12-20-2004, 03:22 AM
dreamweaver baby

AncientPC
12-20-2004, 04:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
dreamweaver baby

[/ QUOTE ]

I use Dreamweaver as well, but the full retail cost is ~$400. Not something a person starting out in HTML would need . . .

NLSoldier
12-20-2004, 05:23 AM
can i put a link to my empire affiliate thing on it!??!

Pleeeease??!!?

/images/graemlins/grin.gif

thatpfunk
12-20-2004, 05:28 AM
Ha! I think my link will be on it...

bdk3clash
12-20-2004, 09:17 AM
Blogger (http://www.blogger.com) is probably the easiest way to accomplish the type of site you're describing.

I use it for my site (http://www.pokerfilter.org) and it's great.

The Google toolbar even has a "Blog This" button!

Schneids
12-20-2004, 09:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]

1) The WYSIWYG (What You See Is What You Get) editor makes pretty ugly code.

[/ QUOTE ]

I assure you with MFP I could recreate any HTML site in existence.

If you become an expert at utilizing tables with Front Page it is very easy to produce classy, professional looking sites.

Granted, the coding looks like a garbled up mess, but who actually views the sourcecode when browsing a site anyway?

Edit: It's much more critical to have a high quality image editting software.

bdk3clash
12-20-2004, 09:36 AM
"Granted, the coding looks like a garbled up mess, but who actually views the sourcecode when browsing a site anyway?"

(raises hand)

Schneids
12-20-2004, 09:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
"Granted, the coding looks like a garbled up mess, but who actually views the sourcecode when browsing a site anyway?"

(raises hand)

[/ QUOTE ]

Weirdo. Why?

Lazymeatball
12-20-2004, 10:05 AM
First off, You are going to need a lot of animated GIFs.

bdk3clash
12-20-2004, 10:36 AM
Just curious sometimes.

thatpfunk
12-20-2004, 11:03 AM
Why do you say that?

Lazymeatball
12-20-2004, 11:43 AM
Cuz then your website will look like this (http://www.animationfactory.com/brain/search.cgi?a=s&term=&search_type=new&area=animatio ns&m=8)

Eh, it was more of a joke about the cliche of beginner websites having a bunch of annoying flash animations for no reason. Watch the Simpson's episode with Mr. X for more details.

thatpfunk
12-20-2004, 11:54 AM
Sorry, computer jokes go way over my head. I barely know how to type /images/graemlins/grin.gif

AncientPC
12-20-2004, 07:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]

(raises hand)

[/ QUOTE ]

I do as well.

MFP can throw in a lot of non-standard code (in other words IE-specific code) and look like garbled mess for other browsers.

wacki
12-20-2004, 08:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I assure you with MFP I could recreate any HTML site in existence.

[/ QUOTE ] I assure you I can recreate any HTML site with Netscape Composer as well. He doesn't need to buy anything there are tons of free editors on the web.

wacki
12-20-2004, 08:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

(raises hand)

[/ QUOTE ]

Weirdo. Why?

[/ QUOTE ]

Browser compatibility for one thing. Plus if you want to do really fancy stuff you have to know code. Then agian you are probably using Perl at that point. Microsoft is notorious for making their products incompatible with other companies software.

Even if you don't look at html it's best to use a non MS program to help insure compatiblity. If this has changed, please inform me. I used to have MS frontpage. It was WYSIWYG for IE, but looked like ass on all other browsers.