PDA

View Full Version : omaha8, % of hands

03-08-2002, 02:48 PM
We play omaha 8 or better in my home game and its "dealt around", which usually means i see about 8-10 hands at a time.

How many hands should i expect to be playable??

Because it seems like i ALMOST NEVER play.

Also, lots of guys (imho) do not play very well. I continually see hands like 3-4-J-Q being turned over at the end. Should this alter my playing requirements/style at all??

thank you,

bc

03-09-2002, 06:03 PM
Broomcorn,

Your feeling of never playing a hand is not unique. However, in a game where you constantly see 3-4-J-Q turned over, you should probably loosen up your limping requirements, IF and ONLY IF these players also stick to the end with garbage and frequently pay off with hands that are not the second nuts (or even 3rd or 4th). I play in a game where people will not fold straights with 3-flushes on board, nor flushes with pairs on board. If your game is like this, you need to loosen up significantly on your preflop strategy with hands that can possibly make the nuts (like suited aces). You will get paid off handsomely when you make them. If they only play terribly preflop, but lock down after the flop, what I have said is not accurate.

If you are playing in any normal game, a flop percentage of over 20% is much too high. But if the game you are playing in is as I suspect, you should be playing some of your "better" trash hands.

Mike

03-14-2002, 12:49 AM
in om/8 you are going to see the nuts too many times to loosen up very much without nut making hands. since its a home game only lossen or appear to play looser for political reasons.

03-21-2002, 11:40 PM
Ray,

I know there aren't many hard and fast 'rules' to poker, but in O/8 if you don't have a shot at the absolute nuts after seeing the flop, should you bother seeing the turn at all? I know there's variables--# of limpers, # of bets--but I'm curious to hear your opinion about this.

ps: I plan on buying your O8 book.

03-22-2002, 11:30 PM
like you said too many variables. but it is a function of the number of opponents and your read on them. but if you start right most times you will be drawing at the nuts at least one way on hands you continue on.