PDA

View Full Version : are "standard" chips pretty much the same?

dfscott
12-19-2004, 09:05 PM
It looks like there are a handful of "standard" chip designs that all the manufacturers carry (suited, royal suited, big slick, etc.)

I've ordered some samples from gamblinghabit.com and decided that the Ace-King suited was the best balance between price and quality for me. I was just about ready to place an order but decided to do a little comparison shopping first. I discovered that 5-star has the same 650-chip set for about $25 less (due to their 25% first-time-order discount).

What's the chance that the quality of the chips will be the same? I wasn't sure how much variance their is between manufacturers. I would've ordered a sample set from 5-star, but then I blow my first-time order discount on a cheap sample set (I wrote them to ask if there was a way around this and got no response).

SlantNGo
12-19-2004, 11:15 PM
These chips are usually mass produced in factories in China, so that different batches through the same distributor usually even come out a bit different (i.e. slightly different shade of green is very common).

dfscott
12-20-2004, 02:01 AM
So does that mean that even with samples you can't be sure what you're going to get?