PDA

View Full Version : 7 Stud/8 - Dipping my toes

greenage
12-19-2004, 07:10 PM
I was having a losing day (what else is new /images/graemlins/smile.gif). A couple bucks lost playing micro-limit 7 Stud/8 on Stars then a $30 loss playing the $50 buy-in Pot Limit Omaha/8 on Paradise.

I kept looking over at the 7 Stud/8 games and nothing was going except for this $4/$8 game. Well, that’s too high for my skill level, but I wanna play, so…

Paradise: $4/$8 7-Card Stud Hi/Lo 8 - $0.50 Ante.

3rd Street (1 SB) - Hero is Seat 7 with Ac As Th (8 players).

Seat 1: X X 8h
Seat 2: X X 9s
Seat 3: X X 6h
Seat 4: X X 9c
Seat 5: X X 4s
Seat 6: X X Qs
Hero: Ac As Th
Seat 8: X X 4c

Action: Seat 8 bets $4, Seat 1 calls, Seat 2 calls, Seat 3 calls, Seat 4 folds, Seat 5 calls, Seat 6 calls, Hero calls.

Maybe I should have raised here, but I was playing scared. Why play if I’m playing scared? Well, I used to play $2/$4 scared and now I don‘t.

I made it 6-handed when I sat down a few minutes ago and two others just joined. That maybe why 3rd got so many callers.

4rd Street (8 SB) - Hero catches 4d (7 players).

Seat 1: X X 8h Jc
Seat 2: X X 9s 7c
Seat 3: X X 6h Jh
Seat 5: X X 4s 6c
Seat 6: X X Qs 9h
Hero: Ac As Th 4d
Seat 8: X X 4c 2s

Action: Seat 6 checks, Hero checks, Seat 8 bets, Seat 1 folds, Seat 2 calls, Seat 3 calls, Seat 5 calls, Seat 6 calls, Hero calls.

Well, maybe I should have bet here as well. OTOH, this is some family hand.

5th Street (7 BB) - Hero catches Ts (6 players).

Seat 2: X X 9s 7c 6d
Seat 3: X X 6h Jh 5d
Seat 5: X X 4s 6c 9d
Seat 6: X X Qs 9h 8d
Hero: Ac As Th 4d Ts
Seat 8: X X 4c 2s 6s

Action: Hero bets, Seat 8 calls, Seat 2 calls, Seat 3 folds, Seat 5 folds, Seat 6 calls.

6th Street (11 BB) - Hero catches 2d (4 players).

Seat 2: X X 9s 7c 6d Qh
Seat 6: X X Qs 9h 8d Qc
Hero: Ac As Th 4d Ts 2d
Seat 8: X X 4c 2s 6s 2c

Action: Seat 6 bets, Hero calls, Seat 8 calls, Seat 2 calls.

7th Street (15 BB) - Hero catches Ad (4 players).

Action: Seat 6 checks, Hero bets, Seat 8 calls, Seat 2 calls, Seat 6 calls.

Any comments appreciated.

TIA,
greenage

Results in white:

<font color="white">
Seat 2: [ Kd 7d 9s 7c 6d Qh Ks ] HI: two pair, kings and sevens

Seat 6: [ Qd 5c Qs 9h 8d Qc 3c ] HI: three of a kind, queens

Seat 8: [ 2h Td 4c 2s 6s 2c Js ] HI: three of a kind, twos

I dodged a bullet, yikes. Well, I played a few more minutes, then made like a coward and did a hit and run. But not to worry, I’ll give it back later.

</font>

Andy B
12-19-2004, 11:33 PM
I can go either way on third street. On the one hand, you've got a high-only hand in a multi-way pot, which is not ideal. On the other hand, it appears that people are calling full bets with anything, so it's tempting to raise and take the value. If you just call so you can keep the pot small so that it's easier to get away from the hand in the event that things go south, that's defensible. If you just call because you're skeered, you're not giving yourself much of a chance.

I'd bet fourth street. Hopefully, the bring-in will raise and get a few of these guys out. The money's going in anyway, so you might as well bet.

At least you bet fifth. /images/graemlins/grin.gif On sixth, I'd raise. You probably have the best high hand, and you want to put pressure on the low hands. They're not folding, but you should still charge them. The guy with the Queens could have trips, but one of his Queens is now out, and he might have raised at some point if he had started with Queens.

Nice river. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

greenage
12-20-2004, 12:26 AM
Hey Andy, thanks for the reply.

If you just call because you're skeered, you're not giving yourself much of a chance.

I must admit, I was skeered. 7 Stud/8 is rare enough at the sites I play on that it’s either micro or a game too high for me. Where are all the $1/$2 (still micro I guess) or $2/$4 (kind of dried up at Paradise) games?

I'd bet fourth street. Hopefully, the bring-in will raise and get a few of these guys out. The money's going in anyway, so you might as well bet.

I thought about that and prolly should have. After the fact though, he wouldn’t even bet his trips on 6th. Seems like lots are liberal on the cheap streets, but then just hang on.

On sixth, I'd raise. You probably have the best high hand, and you want to put pressure on the low hands.

I agree and I’m a gutless wonder. /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Nice river.

Thank you, I’m working on that. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Thanks again for the post, I appreciate it very much.

greenage

Grisgra
12-21-2004, 06:19 PM
Wow, that Seat 2, he's a quality player . . .

dogmeat
12-21-2004, 06:35 PM
You already know the main problem with the hand - you were playing in too high a limit game to be comfortable. However, you are there, and you have hidden aces. Get some raises in on 3rd and 4th street. You have a one-way hand, and while the high hand can scoop, with so many callers it will be very rare. You are not helping yourself by keeping others in the hand with you.

By the time you catch the T on 5th you can see the others don't have much - you played it right from there on.

FWIW - One way hands at 7-stud split are usually going against traffic, which can be fatal.

Dogmeat /images/graemlins/spade.gif

husky1
12-21-2004, 09:54 PM
They usually have a few tables of 1-2 going on Party.

greenage
12-21-2004, 10:36 PM
I think he was one of the players that had just sat down. He sure got caught up in his 1st or 2nd hand.

That table looked like it was going to be pretty sweet for a bit, too bad I didn’t have the guts to stay for more than 15/20 minutes total.

TY,
greenage

greenage
12-21-2004, 10:40 PM
I agree. I was on Paradise and literally the lowest game going was this $4/$8. I used bad judgment sitting down and had to leave about 15/20 minutes later. I’m not ready to sit that game.

FWIW - One way hands at 7-stud split are usually going against traffic, which can be fatal.

I hear you, I’m learning that the hard way.

TY,
greenage

greenage
12-21-2004, 10:42 PM
They usually have a few tables of 1-2 going on Party.

I’ve been running bad on Party and have been staying away, but I may take a look over the holidays.

TY,
greenage