PDA

View Full Version : Under the palm trees - the ultimate home game

02-24-2002, 06:30 AM
A group of us from work rotate our regular home games. This time it was at Victor's house, a first for him.

Victor lives in a very comfortable dwelling, surrounded by jungle and swimming pools. We played outdoors on his patio, flaming torches behind each player provided the light. Opera music flowed from Bose speakers hanging from nails on nearby coconut palms.

Victor's French wife met us each at the door with a kiss. A well stocked makeshift bar was near the table. The choice of beer ranged from South African to German, from stout to weissbier. Wines (red, white or sparkling) were available, as was a very nice single malt.

The food was brought to us slowly over the course of the evening. First, a small plate each of smoked salmon rolled around asparagus. Then a slice of delicate quiche. A small bowl of sorbet, followed by steak tartare and then a cheese and fruit plate.

Seven of us played dealer's choice, dollar ante, five dollar maximum bet. Two maniacs were at the table, passive gentle guys in the office - bronco busting, fist swinging cowboys around the cards. Fortunately neither of them hit more than a hand or two all night. Raise $5! Screw you, I'll raise $5 more. Make it $20 amigo! And on and on until dawn.

I was playing the normal fairly-but-not-too-tight game I tend to use when I'm with this crew. I won $850 over the course of the evening. It was probably the most enjoyable game I've ever played in.

My home game standards have been drastically raised.

FREDSKINS
02-24-2003, 02:38 AM
Yeah I was there, good food, nice wife. But as I can recall you played very badly you just got lucky