PDA

View Full Version : Trying out new things in your game

sourbeaver
12-19-2004, 10:52 AM
From time to time we all make slight adjustments to our game. Sometimes though we're trying out new things that are very different from the way we're used to work in our game.

So my question is, how long do you experiment with new concepts in your game before analyzing if they are profitable or if they hurt you ?

And what have been some of the biggest adjustments that you found out were very heplful to your game and results ?

sourbeaver
12-20-2004, 11:12 AM
hey how about a little non-hand specific discussion fellas

jtr
12-20-2004, 11:38 AM
Hi, Sourbeaver.

I'm interested in your question but I don't know if I have that much to contribute. Since I started reading these forums, I've finally had the variance / sample size message properly pounded into my head, so the idea of trying out some minor strategy tweak, and then playing enough hands to reliably and empirically determine whether this tweak is profitable, looks like fairyland. So I try not to any small changes in my strategy unless I can figure out, through logic and back of the envelope calculations, that it is likely to be a +EV proposition. Also, advice delivered by professional poker authors and posters on here has of course influenced me to alter a few things about my game. But I don't see a "suck it and see" approach as very practical.