PDA

View Full Version : What do you think of this TT hand?

Phoenix1010
12-19-2004, 07:30 AM
Party 10+1, where flush draws are king...

Seat 9: phoenix1010 ( $800 )
Seat 5: Kaivuna ( $800 )
Seat 6: vdiggy ( $800 )
Seat 2: kickbuttin78 ( $350 )
Seat 8: yuppery ( $785 )
Seat 10: jlemmon ( $550 )
Seat 3: T_RoyStrass ( $1525 )
Seat 1: daveyboy9988 ( $800 )
Seat 4: barthausen ( $800 )
Seat 7: backstay ( $790 )
Trny:8005436 Level:1
Blinds(10/15)
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to phoenix1010 [ Tc Td ]
jlemmon folds.
daveyboy9988 raises [30].
kickbuttin78 calls [30].
T_RoyStrass folds.
barthausen calls [30].
Kaivuna folds.
vdiggy calls [30].
backstay calls [30].
yuppery folds.
phoenix1010 calls [15].
** Dealing Flop ** [ 4h, 7c, 5h ]
phoenix1010 checks.
daveyboy9988 bets [30].
kickbuttin78 calls [30].
barthausen folds.
vdiggy raises [125].
backstay calls [125].
phoenix1010 folds.

Easy fold? Reraise preflop? Reraise all-in on the flop to take out the flush draw and perhaps A7? Just curious what others think.

Avoozl
12-19-2004, 08:47 AM
I think your play here is fine.

TT is not a good enough hand to make a preflop reraise into so many players this early on in a tourney. You would be risking your entire stack to win too few chips.

After a bet, call, raise and call, your TT is no longer looking like the best hand. Even if your TT is currently best, you may be up against some powerful drawing hands which now probably have the pot odds to call. Accordingly, your worst case scenario is quite bad, and your best case scenario isn't even all that good. You made a good fold.

betgo
12-19-2004, 10:14 AM
I would raise the limpers preflop. Since you are out of position, you could push. You could also raise to 120 or so. Then you would definately push on a low flop.

On the flop, you are probably right to check initially. You may be right to fold. With all the limping hands, you could be up against two pair or a straight. I think you could consider a push. The pot is pretty big and a push might take it.

Phoenix1010
12-19-2004, 11:01 AM
I felt pretty comfortable playing the tens for set value getting in so cheaply with so many people in the pot. I didn't want to raise preflop and have to play out of position with such a vulnerable hand.

The Flop came low, but coordinated, so I checked to get a better idea of where I was. So many limpers meant it was likely that someone would be on a flush draw. since I was the big blind and the small blind folded preflop, I was not afraid of two pair, but a set or overpair would be disastrous for me. The raise made me think someone was protecting a big hand so I decided to fold and wait for a better spot. I knew it was possible that I could get some action from A7 here, but I didn't want to risk running into a better hand.

The turn was third ten and I almost screamed. So much action! The preflop raiser bet weakly again and everyone called. The river was a third heart, and the preflop raiser mini bet yet again. The button raised all-in and the PF raiser called off the rest of his stack with his pocket queens. The button won the hand with jack deuce of hearts and took now a nice big pot.

So it turns out I made the right play after all, seeing as I was dominated all along by the worst played pocket queens ever, and nothing I bet on the turn was likely to get Mr. J2s off of his flush draw. Just thought that was a funny hand.

Regards,
Steve

betgo
12-19-2004, 11:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The turn was third ten and I almost screamed. So much action! The preflop raiser bet weakly again and everyone called. The river was a third heart, and the preflop raiser mini bet yet again. The button raised all-in and the PF raiser called off the rest of his stack with his pocket queens. The button won the hand with jack deuce of hearts and took now a nice big pot.

So it turns out I made the right play after all, seeing as I was dominated all along by the worst played pocket queens ever, and nothing I bet on the turn was likely to get Mr. J2s off of his flush draw. Just thought that was a funny hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Result oriented thinking. If you are going to look at it that way, you should have pushed preflop. Then QQ would have called and J2s would presumably have folded. Then you would have doubled up with a set of tens.

Phoenix1010
12-19-2004, 12:08 PM
lol. Apparently you misinterpreted. I should have been more clear. My fold was correct because I had the worst hand at the time, and I was not getting proper odds to improve (I would need about 11 to 1 for both cards).

I was pointing out that the play worked out even moreso because even if I had made the mistake of seeing a turn and improving, I would have still lost.

The correctness of the play is determined by the fact that it was the positive EV play I would have made if I knew exactly what my opponents held. It just happened to work out in the rabbit hunt as well.

Regards,
Steve