PDA

View Full Version : Why do Americans.....

partygirluk
12-19-2004, 06:45 AM
Always buy the rights to a successful British TV show, then rewrite, recast and reshoot the programme? Which is always worse than the original.

e.g Cracker, Men Behaving Badly, Coupling, Fawlty Towers, The Office, The Kumars.

There was a sensationally good Hong Kong film out last year, Wu Jan Diau or "Internal Affairs". It really was perfect in what it set out to due, and is surely one of the greatest, most intelligent and gripping films ever made. Rather than release it widely in America, it is being remade with Brad Pitt in it. /images/graemlins/confused.gif

ThaSaltCracka
12-19-2004, 06:46 AM
Cracker? /images/graemlins/cool.gif

AncientPC
12-19-2004, 06:46 AM
Americans want to see American actors.

If a film does not have some big name celebrity in it, it usually will not garner as much attention.

AngryCola
12-19-2004, 06:47 AM
MONEY

Peca277
12-19-2004, 12:04 PM
Why do Brits always overgeneralize about Americans? ie. Fat and ugly was brought up in another one of your threads.

partygirluk
12-19-2004, 12:08 PM
Because you are our younger sibling and we like to tease you.

Peca277
12-19-2004, 12:11 PM
Fair enough. Just remember your lil bro/sis beat the hell out of you twice in the past 200 years. Nice to know you've learned to be our best friend since then. Not that I'd mind if you whooped a little Bush ass in the near future.

PoBoy321
12-19-2004, 12:14 PM
Well, beat their ass twice, saved their ass twice, and have basically made them our bitches ever since.

Just wanted to clarify.

And eat least we don't boil EVERYTHING we eat.

BusterStacks
12-19-2004, 12:32 PM
We're the younger sibling that grew to be cooler and more successful, generally overshadowing anything you might say or do. Tough break.

girgy44
12-19-2004, 12:56 PM
No [censored]. You guys were top dog back when we were infants but now you are a 5'6" 130lb weakling and we grew into a hulking, 6'4" 220lb college student who can throw down with anyone in the world. You know that the only reason you Brits can run your mouths around the world is because we will come in and beat the [censored] out of anyone who fucks with you. War of 1812 anyone? You lost. "America, [censored] yeah."

bdk3clash
12-19-2004, 01:09 PM
We like our beer cold, our TV loud, and our homosexuals flaming.

</Homer>

vegasone
12-19-2004, 02:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Because you are our younger sibling and we like to tease you.

[/ QUOTE ]

whatever you say, fredo

daryn
12-19-2004, 03:49 PM
i have never heard of any of those shows.

Ponks
12-19-2004, 04:35 PM
Same here.

Ponks

dr. klopek
12-19-2004, 04:50 PM
All of those shows blow ass. "Red Dwarf," now that's a good British sitcom. And that one about that super hero dude with the wife. Totally sweet.

PoBoy321
12-19-2004, 05:00 PM
I've seen Fawlty Towers. It had it's moments, but mainly because John Cleese was in it and just about anyone from Monty Python is [censored] hilarious. Other than that, most british comedy blows, IMHO.

gaming_mouse
12-19-2004, 05:02 PM
British comedy -- isn't that an oxymoron?

Oski
12-19-2004, 05:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Always buy the rights buy the rights to a successful British TV show, then rewrite, recast and reshoot the programme? Which is always worse than than the original.

[/ QUOTE ]

If its such a travesty, why do the Brits always SELL? Remember, you need a seller to have a buyer.

Oh well, the U.K. may have invented capitalism, U.S. just improved upon it.

Now go get an eel pie, bitch.

Lazymeatball
12-19-2004, 05:37 PM
Coupling is a really funny show, like Friends but with interesting dialogue, less annoying actors, and there are actual jokes in it, so nothing like Friends really. They tried an american version, hyped it up for a while, then dropped it instantly.

Everyone should know Faulty Towers, it's basically John Cleese being hilarious surrounded by a less than impressive supporting cast.

I remember the US version of Men behaving Badly, it had Rob Schneider and while it was admittedly horrible, I thought it was funny for some reason, mainly because I like Rob Schneider in the right situations.

Cracker - wtf, as in TheSaltCracker?

I keep seeing the promos for the Kumars while watching the Office on BBCamerica, it looks annoying and unfunny, never seen the show though.

Now The Office is a great fuvking show, I don't think you even have to be snooty or a filmie to enjoy watching it. It's sort of flows like a mocumentary (ie. Spinal Tap) and the jokes are more character oriented then punchlines. If you like Dilbert (and even if you don't) you should like this show. I havn't heard anything of an attempt to redo it for the US, but I say let them try, there's a chance it could work, and if not, who cares if it bombs miserably.

AngryCola
12-19-2004, 09:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not really.

Fawlty Towers is a great show. There are some others too.

gaming_mouse
12-19-2004, 09:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not really.

Fawlty Towers is a great show. There are some others too.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't stand it. But what I'm really thinking of are things like Rowan Atkinson, Waking Ned Divine, Calendar Girls, and that skinny blond guy in Notting Hill.

partygirluk
12-19-2004, 10:01 PM
Blackadder, The Office, Fawlty Towers, Not the Nine O'Clock News, Peter Kay, Monty Python, Hancock, Have I Got News For You, Only Fools and Horses, Coupling, Trigger Happy TV etc.

There are many things I dislike about the British (stiff upper lip, crap culinary standards, unfriendly etc.), but out comedy is without doubt the best in the World. It isn't even close.

daryn
12-19-2004, 10:03 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In risposta di:</font><hr />
but out comedy is without doubt the best in the World. It isn't even close.

[/ QUOTE ]

you must be right. i laughed my ass off when i read this.

Non_Comformist
12-19-2004, 10:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Blackadder, The Office, Fawlty Towers, Not the Nine O'Clock News, Peter Kay, Monty Python, Hancock, Have I Got News For You, Only Fools and Horses, Coupling, Trigger Happy TV etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seifeld, Cheers, Simpsons, SouthPark,Curb You Enthusiam.

Just for starters. That took me a whole 30 seconds to think up.

partygirluk
12-19-2004, 10:10 PM
Daryn. Earlier in the thread you posted

"i have never heard of any of those shows."

In light of this I have less than no respect for your opinion on the matter.

AngryCola
12-19-2004, 10:13 PM
If you took Cheers and Seinfeld off of your list, it wouldn't be that bad.

South Park is debatable, but I give it the thumbs up for quality writing and originality.

partygirluk
12-19-2004, 10:13 PM
America certainly has some fine comedy. The Simpsons is particularly great. I just think the average British comedy is far superior. There is a LARGE amount of sh1te comedy produced in America. You have 6 times as big a population, and much bigger budgets. In light of this, I just think we are superior in this aspect.

Piz0wn0reD!!!!!!
12-19-2004, 10:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

red dwarf pwns.

gaming_mouse
12-19-2004, 10:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
but out comedy is without doubt the best in the World. It isn't even close.

[/ QUOTE ]

you must be right. i laughed my ass off when i read this.

[/ QUOTE ]

daryn, this wins my vote for perfect response to an absurd claim.

gm

gaming_mouse
12-19-2004, 10:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

partygirl,

i have not seen all of these, but the ones i have i dislike (with the exception of the office). however, the fact that you include monty python on the list destroys your credibility, imo. monty python was all the rage in like 7th grade, when i thought it was hilarious and would quote it all the time. that it still appeals to some adults is a fact which baffles my mind.

AngryCola
12-19-2004, 11:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
however, the fact that you include monty python on the list destroys your credibility, imo. monty python was all the rage in like 7th grade, when i thought it was hilarious and would quote it all the time. that it still appeals to some adults is a fact which baffles my mind.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is completely wrong, and destroys all credibility you have in the realm of taste and humor. It's rather insulting to state that people who like Monty Python have the taste of a 7th grader. Oh sure.. South Park and the Simpsons are much more mature.

Very disappointing.

Most people that know comedy love Monty Python. When I say "know comedy", I mean people that make comedy their business and life. Probably around 80-90% of the comedians and comedic writers out there will list Monty Python as one of their biggest influences.

Almost all American comedies fall miserably short of Monty Python. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I also like Bill Hicks... thank you.

nicky g
12-20-2004, 08:14 AM
Most comedy doesn't age that well (there are some excpetions). I don't find Monty Python funny but it was pretty important and ground-breaking and is a credit to British humour.

Irish humour beats it out though. All the best comic writers and comedians in the British Isles are Irish.

ALso people like to talk about Britich classic s and denigrate American commericalism, but c'mon, Blackadder et al are rare exceptions. For every Office there are four thousand My Family's, Terry and June's, Allo Allo's etc. There are hundreds of British comedy series that were so bad I can;t remember anything about them.

Somone mentioned boiling everything; funniest line ever is Bill Hicks doing his British food routine saying:
"You don't boil pizza!" Haha.