PDA

View Full Version : Case of the Left-Handed Fencer

yellowjack
12-19-2004, 03:56 AM
The left-handed fencer almost always has the advantage vs. the right-handed fencer. He is used to his opponent's epee (the weapon used in fencing) being on the same side of him because he has been dealing with this all his life. The right-handed fencer does not have very much experience in this situation. He must adjust his attacks so that they strike his left-handed opponent which is unusual for him.

Daniel Negreanu seems to have the same edge in hold'em. His range of playable cards is much larger than almost all other successful players. He plays with others who play the atypical cards (ie. big cards and pocket pairs). I think it's safe to say that these other players (including myself, I'm not berating anyone here) find it difficult to adjust to Daniel's game.

I don't know about you, but I have never really thought hard about how to play hands like 4 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 6 /images/graemlins/heart.gif on the flop. So it's hard to get inside this kind of players head. Suppose another player like me has thought about how to play these kinds of hands on the flop. However he has only thought about how these hands play out, he hasn't changed his game one bit in tournaments.

My question is how are you supposed to deal with the player who plays the trash hands in tournaments? Rags seems to drop a lot of the time, which often give your opponent some straight/flush draw or pair(s). Even if they don't, just knowing that your player plays these trash cards makes it difficult to play against him, especially when he has you outchipped by something like 3:1.

My friend says to be a player and actually read your opponent and the frequency at which he bets on a ragged flop. How about dealing with them online?

Piz0wn0reD!!!!!!
12-19-2004, 03:59 AM
A foil is used in fencing, an epee is used in epee.

and yes, leftys pwn rightys at fencing, epee or not.