PDA

View Full Version : A Hand against Evan

James282
12-19-2004, 01:45 AM
We're playing 10/20 at the Borgata and it's mostly 2+2ers with three very bad players squeezed in here or there. Anyway, Evan open raises in the CO, Button cold calls, SB cold calls, I 3 bet Black kings and everybody calls.

Flop is Q /images/graemlins/spade.gif 8 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 6 /images/graemlins/heart.gif or something similar. I bet, Evan calls, button calls, SB folds.

Turn is a 5 /images/graemlins/club.gif. I bet, Evan raises, button folds, I three-bet, Evan four-bets, I count the pot for a second and then remember there's no way I have odds to draw and fold.
-James

private joker
12-19-2004, 01:54 AM
Did you consider a stop-n-go on the river? Just call Evan's turn raise and lead a safe river card. There's a very good chance he has AQ here and is putting you on JJ or AK, popping you with that turn raise to trap you thinking he's ahead. (He could also have AK or AJ of spades)

Another option is call the turn raise and check-call the river. Then you spend 2 more BB to get to showdown (where he will have AQ as often as QQ and AA) instead of spending 1BB on the turn 3-bet and having to fold before the river.

James282
12-19-2004, 01:57 AM
What do I do when he raises the river and I haven't improved? What river cards are safe? What range of hands do you think Evan can four-bet the turn with here? What's so bad about having to fold before the river if it's cheaper?
-James

James282
12-19-2004, 02:05 AM
Additionally, won't he pay me off with AQ, KQ, or QJ here but not raise them on the river, costing me a bet when I am ahead?
-James

sthief09
12-19-2004, 02:08 AM
Evan is somewhat weak and pretty unimaginative in his play.

private joker
12-19-2004, 02:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
What do I do when he raises the river and I haven't improved?

[/ QUOTE ]

Curse yourself for not check-calling the river. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
What river cards are safe?

[/ QUOTE ]

Assuming it's highly likely that he has AQ or a suited ace of spades, any non-spade, non-ace is a safe river.

[ QUOTE ]
What range of hands do you think Evan can four-bet the turn with here?

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably just a set. He wouldn't cap with spades or AQ or AA unless he'd had too many cocktails.

[ QUOTE ]
What's so bad about having to fold before the river if it's cheaper?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nothing, really. But you don't get to see the showdown for just 1 more bet than the line you took, and he might have AQ.

[ QUOTE ]
Additionally, won't he pay me off with AQ, KQ, or QJ here but not raise them on the river, costing me a bet when I am ahead?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. Which is why I now see that your line is correct and mine was dumb. I'm just rooting for you in this hand and hoping the little tyke had AQo or AK of spades.

Evan
12-19-2004, 04:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
He wouldn't cap...

[/ QUOTE ]
Just for the record, since James and I were heads up here there was no cap. When I 4 bet the turn James could have 5 bet me.

DrGutshot
12-19-2004, 04:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Evan is somewhat weak and pretty unimaginative in his play.

[/ QUOTE ]

evan=fish

-DrG

Trix
12-19-2004, 10:24 AM
97s is the only hand I would consider to be well played by Even that beats you, am I wrong ?

DrGutshot
12-19-2004, 01:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
97s is the only hand I would consider to be well played by Even that beats you, am I wrong ?

[/ QUOTE ]

yes.
keep on tryin.

-DrG

Trix
12-19-2004, 06:27 PM
i give up /images/graemlins/confused.gif

sthief09
12-19-2004, 07:38 PM
what about 88 or 66?

Trix
12-19-2004, 10:31 PM
He will usually get more value by raising the flop, he also wont give correct odds to various gutshots.

James282
12-19-2004, 10:35 PM
Evan would reveal he had 88. FWIW I think he played it perfectly.
-James

DrGutshot
12-19-2004, 10:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Evan would reveal he had 88. FWIW I think he played it perfectly.
-James

[/ QUOTE ]

If Evan wasn't such a fish he would have known you would fold to the 4bet, so he should have called and raised the river.

:P

-DrG

Evan
12-19-2004, 10:43 PM
On the bright side though, I did do a good job of getting all my money in drawing dead.

edtost
12-19-2004, 11:52 PM
FISH!

StellarWind
12-20-2004, 01:34 AM
I don't understand how the turn 3-bet can be a good play against Evan. What range of hands are you putting him on? How likely do you think you are to be ahead?